Budget Above 40k Suggestions for a flagship compact phone

mysticrainman

Disciple
Please suggest a flagship compact phone. Last few years, i've used OnePlus 5 and 8t. Would prefer Android.

1. Budget?
A: INR 65-70ish

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: under 6.2", AMOLED, >= 1080p

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 12

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 5G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: open to suggestions on brand. Should have good service network + relatively cheaper parts. Would not prefer mi, oppo, Vivo, iqoo, realme, oneplus.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: mails, internet browsing, video consumption, camera. Regarding battery I'm a medium level user.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. online or offline

9. Any other requirements?
A: min 128 gb, would prefer fast charging, good battery, 90hz refresh rate min.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: samsung galaxy s22, iphone 13 (missing on refresh rate), Asus zenphone 8z (unavailable)

I'm leaning towards s22 right now. Anything to look out for in s22 besides battery?

If you want to save the battery run it in power save mode. If that isn't good enough, then root it and start limiting CPU speeds further.

This needs some confirmation from users. It's an idea
That doesn't make any huge impact .. i almost have debloated sll phones i have used.. its does male some improvements.. Rooting will void the warranty and i did try both rooting and throttle a 888 chip but no huge improvement..

The current 8 gen 1 or dimensity 8100/8100 max even 9000 are not power efficient chip..only the last year dimensity 1200 was power efficient with smooth performance..Therefore currently in any flagship phones dont expect very good battery life (4.5-5.5-6 hours sot at max) other than Apple 13 series..

Last edited:
Not to long som one here from SHirdi was selling almost brand new Sony xperia compact. Hunt for it and grab if it suits you.
Could find the Experia 1 .. which was already sold. But I don't have good experience with Sony phones anyway. Would like to avoid.

Anyway, I'm keeping on hold my purchase for the time being.. seeing that the options are very limited right now.

Could find the Experia 1 .. which was already sold. But I don't have good experience with Sony phones anyway. Would like to avoid.

Anyway, I'm keeping on hold my purchase for the time being.. seeing that the options are very limited right now.
Their compact phones are one of a hell power packed devices unmatched by others.

You said you're in a rural area and need a dual sim. Well, how good is your signal out there?

Do you move around a lot during the day?
Sim 1 Jio. Sim 2 Airtel. This is about 70% of the time. I choose whichever network works. Right now Airtel has 3 bars and Jio 2. You get the idea.
Screenshot_20220721-145837_Messages~2.jpg
Only problem is the cost of maintaining two networks.
The best choice.

Sim 1 Jio. Sim 2 Airtel. This is about 70% of the time. I choose whichever network works. Right now Airtel has 3 bars and Jio 2. You get the idea.
View attachment 140720
Only problem is the cost of maintaining two networks.

The best choice.
Yeah. not great signal strength, it will take a toll on standby for sure.

What you could try is run the Airtel on 2G as 2G at 900Mhz covers much more area than 4G at 2,300 Mhz. The other reason is Airtel's 4G is not true 4G like Jio's so Airtel falls back to 3G for calls and only uses data at 4G. May have changed since it shows LTE for your second sim but the frequency thing still holds unless Airtel is using a lower frequency too. Doubtful. I don't think they got any allocations for 4G in the 3 digit frequencies.

I'm not sure what frequency Jio's 4G runs at. There is a way to find this on a sammy by going into the hidden menu by using some secret code from the dialer.

May be in the 4 digits as that slice of spectrum is cheaper than 3 digit frequency that covers more area.

The thing is in rural areas they usually go with 3 digits. So Jio might get you a stronger signal at 4G than Airtel at 4G.

The way to tell is to go into the About phone section and then Networks. It should show strength in dBm for each sim card. The one with the lower value is the stronger network.
That doesn't make any huge impact .. i almost have debloated sll phones i have used.. its does male some improvements.. Rooting will void the warranty and i did try both rooting and throttle a 888 chip but no huge improvement..

The current 8 gen 1 or dimensity 8100/8100 max even 9000 are not power efficient chip..only the last year dimensity 1200 was power efficient with smooth performance..Therefore currently in any flagship phones dont expect very good battery life (4.5-5.5-6 hours sot at max) other than Apple 13 series..
Which 888 phone did you root & try to throttle?

Last edited:

The idea came from this thread. Maybe something similar can be done for others

Yeah. not great signal strength, it will take a toll on standby for sure.

What you could try is run the Airtel on 2G as 2G at 900Mhz covers much more area than 4G at 2,300 Mhz. The other reason is Airtel's 4G is not true 4G like Jio's so Airtel falls back to 3G for calls and only uses data at 4G. May have changed since it shows LTE for your second sim but the frequency thing still holds unless Airtel is using a lower frequency too. Doubtful. I don't think they got any allocations for 4G in the 3 digit frequencies.

I'm not sure what frequency Jio's 4G runs at. There is a way to find this on a sammy by going into the hidden menu by using some secret code from the dialer.

May be in the 4 digits as that slice of spectrum is cheaper than 3 digit frequency that covers more area.

The thing is in rural areas they usually go with 3 digits. So Jio might get you a stronger signal at 4G than Airtel at 4G.

The way to tell is to go into the About phone section and then Networks. It should show strength in dBm for each sim card. The one with the lower value is the stronger network.

Which 888 phone did you root & try to throttle?
My phone was a OnePlus 9 imported model.. try to throttle it for lesser heat generation and better battery.. but in my case I didn't see any big difference.. mostly with adb command or tool debloat i think one can gain atleast 30 mins plus sot

Don't have much hopes of this being launched in India in near future and adequate stocks being made available. Otherwise, looks like a sweet device. How's the after sales service of Asus?

Don't have much hopes of this being launched in India in near future and adequate stocks being made available. Otherwise, looks like a sweet device. How's the after sales service of Asus?
Yeah, this is pretty much the only option right now.

I have no idea about service but people here with motherboards from ASUS should be able to answer

The zenphone 9 looks amazing. Hope they launch in India soon. Repeat query: Anyone here with an Asus smartphone and can comment on their after sales service? also, does Asus honor international warranty on their mobiles?
I have dealt only with hardware and the after sales service is handled by RP tech, so that is decent enough. However, they don't accept anything over courier which is a huge pain because there are only a couple of centres in the city, in industrial areas, requiring a fair bit of travel and expense.

The phone servicing is different. I know there is an Asus service centre in Lamington Road that is accessible but I suppose the experience may vary as per region.

Back