PC Peripherals System acting weird, what could be the issue?

kvn95ss

Adept
Here are my PC specs -

CPU - Ryzen 7 2600 with stock cooler (AMD Wraith Spire with RGB), overclocked to 3.6 GHz using motherboard's Game OC utility
Mobo - MSI B450i
GPU - ROG STRIX rx 570 4GB model
RAM - 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix
PSU - Cooler Master Thunder 450 Watt, at least 5+ years old
Storage - 1 x Samsung evo 512 GB, 1 x WD Green SSD, 1 x 2 TB HDD
Audio interface - Audient iD4 mkII
Peripherals - Rog Claymore, Logitech G604

Chronology of events -
On Saturday, I had put my desktop to sleep (Something I do quite often, never had any issue). I return and press power button, nothing happens. The case LED, cpu cooler and GPU lights were all on. My mouse was also "working" (G604 light indicator keeps blinking if it loses connection) and so was my keyboard (Scroll lock and RGB was working) BUT I didn't have any display out. I force shut the system (long press power button) and I reseat my GPU. It worked for some time, then I faced the same issue again. Another reseat later, it worked fine.

On Sunday, I got no display out. I reseat my GPU yet again, however this time, my GPU light flashed red (default colour), then white, then red, then white and then the system restarts. I reseat again and manage to boot into windows, but hit GSOD. Couldn't see the error message as system rebooted instantly. I reset my BIOS and it worked again

On Monday (Yesterday) the system failed to boot and the motherboard debug light indicated problem with RAM. I swapped the RAM sticks across my 2 slots, and turns out one of my RAM seems to be the problem. Have to contact Crucial regarding the warranty (The RAM sticks are just 2 years old).

My questions -
1. Since my PSU is old, could this be causing this weird issue? Or could it be the bad RAM all along?
2. Is it a good idea to update my PSU (due to its old age)?
3. If I'm upgrading my PSU, is 450 Watt enough or should I prefer 600 Watt + for future headroom? (Planning on using a desktop for the future as well)
4. My target was an ITX build, so I'm planning on getting an SFX PSU. What have been other people's experience on building / using SFX psu?
5. How's the warranty of Cooler Master (Their PSU comes with 10 years warranty) and Lian Li (Comes with 5 years warranty)

Here are my PC specs -

CPU - Ryzen 7 2600 with stock cooler (AMD Wraith Spire with RGB), overclocked to 3.6 GHz using motherboard's Game OC utility
Mobo - MSI B450i
GPU - ROG STRIX rx 570 4GB model
RAM - 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix
PSU - Cooler Master Thunder 450 Watt, at least 5+ years old
Storage - 1 x Samsung evo 512 GB, 1 x WD Green SSD, 1 x 2 TB HDD
Audio interface - Audient iD4 mkII
Peripherals - Rog Claymore, Logitech G604

Chronology of events -
On Saturday, I had put my desktop to sleep (Something I do quite often, never had any issue). I return and press power button, nothing happens. The case LED, cpu cooler and GPU lights were all on. My mouse was also "working" (G604 light indicator keeps blinking if it loses connection) and so was my keyboard (Scroll lock and RGB was working) BUT I didn't have any display out. I force shut the system (long press power button) and I reseat my GPU. It worked for some time, then I faced the same issue again. Another reseat later, it worked fine.

On Sunday, I got no display out. I reseat my GPU yet again, however this time, my GPU light flashed red (default colour), then white, then red, then white and then the system restarts. I reseat again and manage to boot into windows, but hit GSOD. Couldn't see the error message as system rebooted instantly. I reset my BIOS and it worked again

On Monday (Yesterday) the system failed to boot and the motherboard debug light indicated problem with RAM. I swapped the RAM sticks across my 2 slots, and turns out one of my RAM seems to be the problem. Have to contact Crucial regarding the warranty (The RAM sticks are just 2 years old).

My questions -
1. Since my PSU is old, could this be causing this weird issue? Or could it be the bad RAM all along?
2. Is it a good idea to update my PSU (due to its old age)?
3. If I'm upgrading my PSU, is 450 Watt enough or should I prefer 600 Watt + for future headroom? (Planning on using a desktop for the future as well)
4. My target was an ITX build, so I'm planning on getting an SFX PSU. What have been other people's experience on building / using SFX psu?
5. How's the warranty of Cooler Master (Their PSU comes with 10 years warranty) and Lian Li (Comes with 5 years warranty)
It's either the PSU or GPU.
Check the PSU with paper clip test.

1st remove all the RAM, CPU then put one by one. So that you can find out which is faulty.

Coolermaster Master Thunder is a ticking time bomb.
So check with any other PSU.

If your GPU is out of warranty do repaste it because if we paste it when it is under warranty it's warranty will become void.

BTW your CPU is considered a good one in those days.

Forgot to mention my fans and case is dusty, could this be the issue as well?
Some moisture somewhere inside might be causing it, although less likely, but you never know.

Years ago, my old PC used to act very weird around rainy season, sometimes didn't boot, sometimes no display, sometimes worked fine after reseating RAM, etc. So I used to dismantle everything and let it dry under fan/100W bulb/on roof but not in direct sunlight. Had to do it once/twice every rainy season (specially if the PC was left unused for a few days).

You can give it a try, no harm in it. And your machine will get cleaned as an added bonus.

More likely it is PSU issue though.

Your PSU wattage is cut to cut for your GPU, plus you've got an OC going on. That PSU by itself isn't the greatest, with its age it makes things worse. While this may or may not be the culprit, it's an issue waiting to happen. I would undo the OC until I got a new PSU.

Some moisture somewhere inside might be causing it, although less likely, but you never know.

Years ago, my old PC used to act very weird around rainy season, sometimes didn't boot, sometimes no display, sometimes worked fine after reseating RAM, etc. So I used to dismantle everything and let it dry under fan/100W bulb/on roof but not in direct sunlight. Had to do it once/twice every rainy season (specially if the PC was left unused for a few days).

You can give it a try, no harm in it. And your machine will get cleaned as an added bonus.

More likely it is PSU issue though.
I'm staying near Udupi / Manipal, so moisture could be one of the culprit.

I've disabled any OC.

Will clean and dry my system once I get the thermal paste.
Your PSU wattage is cut to cut for your GPU, plus you've got an OC going on. That PSU by itself isn't the greatest, with its age it makes things worse. While this may or may not be the culprit, it's an issue waiting to happen. I would undo the OC until I got a new PSU.
I thought so too, but why does Gamers Nexus insist 450 watt should be plenty

I'm staying near Udupi / Manipal, so moisture could be one of the culprit.

I've disabled any OC.

Will clean and dry my system once I get the thermal paste.

I thought so too, but why does Gamers Nexus insist 450 watt should be plenty
If GN says a 450W will be enough, should be safe to assume it is. But the assumption is that it should be a 'quality' unit. The 450 Thunder does not have any 80+certification and is an ageing unit. It mostly probably does not have Japanese caps that are wearing out.

My last asus motherboard was allergic to monsoon humidity.

Rub GPU, RAM contact points using a non-dust eraser. Clean PCIe RAM slots using toothbrush and alcohol. That should remove the rust. More than 50% of times, it's the rust that causes BSOD and the RAMs are usually fine.

Also check the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System. There a chance the BSOD reason is mentioned there.

Should I go with Cooler Master v750? It comes with 10 year warranty and Japanese capacitors.
If you don't plan on getting an ultra high-end GPU in the future a 750W is a good idea. 650W will also cut it, but 750 is better. That way, If you were to get a 3080 after 12-18 months you would not run short on power.

Update to the weirdness -
Was playing Genshin Impact on Medium, but after 45 minutes, the display output from GPU cuts off and I can only hear the in-game audio. Pressing the reset button causes the red-white-red-restart I mentioned in my original post.

Once I arrange for cash, was thinking of getting Cooler master power supply, but it doesn't come with Japanese capacitors. Would that make a difference?

Update to the weirdness -
Was playing Genshin Impact on Medium, but after 45 minutes, the display output from GPU cuts off and I can only hear the in-game audio. Pressing the reset button causes the red-white-red-restart I mentioned in my original post.

Once I arrange for cash, was thinking of getting Cooler master power supply, but it doesn't come with Japanese capacitors. Would that make a difference?
Go for Antec instead.

Back