Tata Indicom's Photon+ - High Speed Internet Access

Photon + Speeds in Cochin is awesome!! :D Much better than Chennai for me. Getting 225kBps constant!

Photon + was launched in Cochin a month back. Awesome service from TATA. :)

200-1500kb or kB???? kb is too slow :S
Rahul said:
hmmm ..... i have also got VSNL one for 4.2k initially and 600 per month for 2Mbps unltd :D ...... speeds are not that great here, i am getting 200-1500kbps depending upon time. maybe network is not good here but for surfing it gr8 , far far better than the crappy phone connection

Use IDM, i took a demo of Relience 3.2 MBPS connection. It gave me 200+ average and sometimes it spiked to 300+kB! Though signal strength varies from place to place.
varkey said:
Average 180kBps :O :O
Im not getting that much. :( It shows full signal but I get speeds above 100kBps only at night. :( :(

aruka said:
^ any intro plan with no FUP in cochin?

or is the same sh***y FUP still in all plans?

No unlimited plan now. I took the connection long time back from Chennai with no FUP when Photon+ was launched about a year or more back.

Rockfella said:
200-1500kb or kB???? kb is too slow :S

Use IDM, i took a demo of Relience 3.2 MBPS connection. It gave me 200+ average and sometimes it spiked to 300+kB! Though signal strength varies from place to place.

I was not getting good speeds in Chennai. Avg I get is only 80-100 kBps. ( Kilo Bytes ) :( :(

But in Cochin its really great, yesterday night I got an avg of 275 kBps with spikes upto 300-310 kBps!! Really awesome!

Check the screenshot, it shows about 925-950 MB download per hour which is equal to approx 265-270 kBps :D :D

photon_speed.PNG

Is this service available in Pune? Because as per their site this service isn't available in Pune.

If it is available in Pune can somebody throw some light on quality of service, tariff plans etc?

Thanks in advance!

does this 10gb data plan is only indicating download or total data transfer (download+upload)? I have not used torrent with photon + yet..

what nonsense..

i really thought photon+ services are available in pune :O

i bought it from delhi and wil be going pune for a while... wtf... no photon+ .. this is of no use of me now :S

yes tata photon+ has a very limited access areas.. even here in punjab its available only in chandigarh

so coolraghav are u interested in selling it or wot??

chitraksh said:
yes tata photon+ has a very limited access areas.. even here in punjab its available only in chandigarh

so coolraghav are u interested in selling it or wot??

why would i sell it, i will get fkin refund ! coz guy told me the service is available in poona n even some duffers from customer care did.. but now they saying oh no.. ! asses :mad:

Planning to get this shortly in Pune as a backup for my regularly-broken BSNL broadband connection :) I hope the speeds are decent and it works with Linux!

What are the payment/recharge methods/options? Prepaid? Can I make payments online like for Tata Sky via Bank Transfer and/or Credit Card?

^^ How much is the inital cost and what plan you wanna get ???

I see ad of this saying it is now 2500 (IIRC) but in my office there is a tata counter where they are selling the USB modem for 1800 i suppose (need to cross check)

yes, "normal offer" is Rs 2299 to get the device and i plan to take rs 650 per month (1gb) initially. some places they give further discounts like offices etc. from my office i might get same offer with first 2 months free rental/whatever, else i will just buy it from croma store...

btw, are you getting it for rs 1800 ??? is that photon PLUS or some other USB modem? (like plug2surf or old photon) ?

^^ Will need to confirm. Can get back on this on Monday. Btw you plan to take Photon+ ??

I suppose photon+ must be max 3.1 Mbps speed. If that is the case then what is old photon. Other plug2surf are just GPRS/EDGE modems.

Yes, I'm planning on getting photon+ by next weekend.

I believe the "old" photon was 2.4 mbps max? The new photon+ is 3.1 mbps max though depending on signal and other factors there is a chance of poor speed (sub-500kbps)... if I get at least 512 kbps I will be satisfied....

Need to check (somehow) whether it works well in Hadapsar, Magarpatta City, Fatimanagar and Yerwada since I will be carrying it about to these locations :D

I have the Photon + connection which I took when it was in the initial testing phase in Chennai. The modem is a ZTE AC 8710 and I have got speeds upto 3.1mbps. So I think they have upgraded all connections to 3.1mbps.

But I only get the that speed in Cochin, whereas in Chennai mostly it averages around 512k and at night about 0.8-1.3mbps depending on traffic etc.

The Croma guy as usual is lying saying 2299 is all you have to pay to get this working. I saw an enrollment form which states Rs 99 activation charges and a clause saying sales tax etc extra.

Plus, there is a clause saying for hardware/modem problems contact the manufacturer (DIESL or something) and Tata is not responsible.

I still would like to get this but I hope I don't end up with TWO headaches (my BSNL connection and this Tata Photon+ stuff) :D

I'll try to get a demo before purchasing it this week... I'm sure there will be the usual signal/speed issues and useless customer service reps to deal with just like govt babu-based BSNL they are no different...

Update: OK got it, checkout my showoff: http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/best-deal-anywhere-in-the-universe-162540.html :D

Next I will also get BSNL EVDO 750 UL this week... so I have two of these buggers for multiple Internet connection redundancy...

Got the Photon+ device today that was supposed to come with the Acer laptop I got a week ago :)

It "works" on Linux if I install the usb-modeswitch package or manually unmount it. Works, meaning it is detected and I can dial but I get a "no carrier" error even though the signal light on the device is green indicating good signal. I guess I have to wait for the guy to show up this week to activate the thing...

This is a new EpiValley SEC 8386 device which comes with both windows 32 bit and 64 bit driver apparently and even has a Linux howto PDF on it!!!

Progress....

@Vishal

How much will the BSNL EVDO cost you and what speeds you are expecting on that ?
And finally where you gonna purchase it in Pune ?

Also what plan you have taken with you Photon+ ??

Back