Tata Indicom's Photon+ - High Speed Internet Access

chic_magnet said:
I was looking to switch over from my Tata Indicom plug and surf thingy to something more reliable and a lot faster........... Any ideas if Photon+ is available in Mumbai as well??? Or anything else for that matter?

This service is presently available only in select areas of Chennai , Jammu & Kashmir & North East States.. To know about the coverage locations please contact our Customer Care

HSIA Photon Usb Modem

just got the device... have hooked it my Mac mini from where it'll share the connection via the router to the other systems

waiting for activation

will post back how it works out

Can we rent the modem? I might take this for a few months once i get back home.

Also, no port blocking unblocking bs in this right? unlike EVDO from BSNL

sTALKEr said:
Can we rent the modem? I might take this for a few months once i get back home.
Also, no port blocking unblocking bs in this right? unlike EVDO from BSNL

No rent. Its only outright purchase unlike BSNL. And no port blocking.

WTF I don't understand why these telcos offer great speed/price ratio for wireless connections but not for DSL... maybe the wireless has larger contention and speeds may degrade when there are a lot of subscribers. Do we know what the "contention ratio" is for this Photon+ stuff?

^This doesn't have anything to do with a laptop :bleh: I was looking at it for it's speed and seemingly no downtime so far. Am sick and tired of the tata junkdicom dsl connection i have.

vishalrao said:
Do we know what the "contention ratio" is for this Photon+ stuff?

Very less afaik

Checked the latencies of 3 TF2 servers. Latencies are 3~5 times higher than what i get in airtel. For v-street it is 147ms :p compared to 50ms in my airtel. This is in freaky's place where the signal is stronger compared most of the places. So this is out for me or for any gamers where the latency matters a lot.

Otherwise this connection is the best provided your area has a good signal strength.

hi guys ,
i want to go for it. juz want to know few things about it though.
1.howz the service
2.will this work through out india that means when i am out of chennai(while travelling etc.)
3. what if we dont like the service and what to return the service. what cab we do wid the modem.

gmano said:
HSIA Photon Usb Modem

Its service is now available in Chennai ( I mean, within the chennai city limits).

I bought one day before yesterday. They Charge 3.5k for the USB modem and 1.5k permonth for the speed upto 2.4 Mbps. (Unlimited usage)

I have checked it around few places in Chennai, in Velachery I got a speed of 1.6 Mbps, KK Nagar - 1.4 Mbps, T. Nagar - 1.5 Mbps and in Kovilambakkam I am getting about 2 Mbps speed. (as per the guy who activated my connection we will get around 1.4 Mbps average all over the city).

Are you using the hour based plan mate...

krishnavamshi24 said:
Dont find any plan like taht listed on thier site though...1,500per month is for 900hours time based plan :S

High Speed Internet Access USB Tariffs

This High speed internet access is not available in AP. If you chose your location as chennai, you can find the tariff.

This thing is working in CDMA 2000 1x technology, which is 3G (BSNL evdo is also 3G).

While the government is yet to license the 3g spectrum, this Tata indicom HSIA and BSNL EVDO is being allowed by the government, without even knowing that the CDMA 2000 1x is nothing but 3G.

CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically 3G is already active in India (in fact, BSNL EVDO was introduced few years back itself)

Saiyan said:
Checked the latencies of 3 TF2 servers. Latencies are 3~5 times higher than what i get in airtel. For v-street it is 147ms :p compared to 50ms in my airtel. This is in freaky's place where the signal is stronger compared most of the places. So this is out for me or for any gamers where the latency matters a lot.

Otherwise this connection is the best provided your area has a good signal strength.

what is the average speeds in torrents like?

Back