TES V: Skyrim - Discussion Thread

pretttt

Skilled
May 14, 2009
Bangalore
kvikram said:
Usually I think the merc stops following and then suddenly reappears whenever you get off or enter a new area.

Hmm, that is a little bit weird but it works I guess. It would've been cool to have the Merc ride next to you on another horse though. :p Maybe the modders can make that happen. BTW, is it possible to upgrade a merc's armor and shield? I was able to upgrade the weapon, but she doesnt use that shield that I gave her.

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
Guys, BIG PROBLEM. I'm on update 1.3 btw.

THe first time when u enter Whiterun, and go to Dragonsreach to Jarl and talk to that Magician, he asks you to get some dragon stone. Now when I exit thebuilding back to Whiterun, the game stops responding, EVERY TIME.

Is it because I'm using a large number of mods? Can you guys help out? If anybody has a save game with any where near that part of the game(only 1 hour into the game) I would really APPRECIATE it.

I don't know what to do right now, and I got another week, which I wanted to devote to this game. Can anybody please help out?

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Sep 5, 2009
Only 1 hour into the game, you could always start over. I am on 1.3 (the latest) although about 50+ hours, what mods are you running?

nanoneo

Adept
Jul 21, 2009
pretttt said:
But, I feel Alchemy is too damn tuff. I have no idea what each ingredient does and most of the time the potion creation fails. Inventory is also a huge problem. I'm always running out of inventory space. IS it possible to increase inventory size any way?
Did you try eating the ingredients? It reveals one effect of each ingredient.

Also, anyone who needs more carrying capacity needs to find the Steed stone. It adds +100 carrying capacity and removes all movement penalties from heavy armour.

It's
in the mountains near Solitude, near the Imperial fort in the mountains (forgot the name of the fort)

tufel

Adept
Feb 25, 2009
I've already asked this but as the game is out now,I think all of you would be in a better position to answer: Is this the right game to get into RPG's in terms of the learning curve?

nanoneo

Adept
Jul 21, 2009
Yes it is. This is my first proper RPG. Played maybe 10 minutes of Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Couldn't get into them at the time. Skyrim is different though. The levelling system in this game is fluid and adjusts to the way you play. Unlike most RPGs, it's very very difficult to gimp yourself by choosing the wrong attributes. Also, you really don't need to grind skills to improve them. Combat is simple and magic if obvious.

Would definetely recommend Skyrim to non-rpg players.

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Jan 4, 2006
tufel said:
I've already asked this but as the game is out now,I think all of you would be in a better position to answer: Is this the right game to get into RPG's in terms of the learning curve?

Fallout 3 was my first RPG. And although it was a little more deeper than Skyrim, I adapted to it fairly easily. Since the game mechanics of Fallout 3 and Skyrim are very similar, I don't see why an RPG virgin couldn't learn and enjoy skyrim. Everything is explained really well in the game and you also have a plethora of guides to help you through it if you are stuck anywhere. So, by all means go ahead, this is one of the best RPG experience that you can get.

pretttt

Skilled
May 14, 2009
Bangalore
nanoneo said:
Did you try eating the ingredients? It reveals one effect of each ingredient.

Wow, thanks for this tip! I had no idea we could do that to find out the effect of ingredients.

nanoneo said:
Also, anyone who needs more carrying capacity needs to find the Steed stone. It adds +100 carrying capacity and removes all movement penalties from heavy armour.
Is this effect permanent or temporary? Once I get a horse, I will go and seek out this stone. Thanks again for the tip.
tufel said:

Yea, I think Skyrim is very easy to get into provided you are not turned off by the medieval fantasy genre. Many of my friends used to never play RPGs because they used to hate medieval fantasies. If you are also like that and prefer sci-fi, I would suggest you start with Mass Effect or Deus Ex HR.

BTW, bought a house yesterday. It was rather underwhelming though. Its completely empty inside! But, at least it has a chest where I can stash all my stolen necklaces. ;) Also, saw a Giant yesterday. Wandered too close and got my ass handed over. I will get my revenge one day though.

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Jan 4, 2006
BTW, bought a house yesterday. It was rather underwhelming though. Its completely empty inside! But, at least it has a chest where I can stash all my stolen necklaces. Also, saw a Giant yesterday. Wandered too close and got my ass handed over. I will get my revenge one day though.

You can decorate your House as much as you like. To do that, just go back to the dude you purchased your House from and buy all the required decoration items like bed, wardrobe, chests, weapons rack, Bookshelves, alchemy table etc.

Is this effect permanent or temporary? Once I get a horse, I will go and seek out this stone. Thanks again for the tip.

There are a total of 13 standing stones in the game. The Steed Stone is one of them. Each stone gives you a unique bonus but you can only have the blessing of just a single stone at once. The Steed stone is pretty good for earlier levels.

pretttt

Skilled
May 14, 2009
Bangalore
Bluffmaster said:
You can decorate your House as much as you like. To do that, just go back to the dude you purchased your House from and buy all the required decoration items like bed, wardrobe, chests, weapons rack, Bookshelves, alchemy table etc.

Yea, I came to know of that after I bought the house. Will add all the stuff one by one.

BTW, a weird thing happened yesterday. I came out of Whiterun and was attacked by a bunch of hired thugs. I managed to kill them, but I found a contract on one of them. Apparently, they were paid by a "Whiterun Guard" to kill me, calling me a "Thief". I'm not sure whether it was referring to me stealing money and valuables all over the city or some item I picked up somewhere. Interesting event though.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Clocked 40 hours yesterday (the highest ever I have spent for ANY game till date!), leveled up to 31+, smithing at 65+ (purely due to the iron ingot + iron dagger trick), Two-handed at 94, Block at 50 (not a single skill under Block has been unlocked by far!), Heavy Armor at 80. Presently using the Wuuthrad battleaxe acquired from the Companions which has its attack at 92. Owns them giants, dragons and necromancers left, right and center! :eek:hyeah:

Battled the second Dragon Priest Hevnoraak in the Valthume dungeon and as usual, it was a tricky one. Dragon Priests appear to be impervious to shouts so Unrelenting Force wouldn't work with him. Had to run around in circles, hack and slash, heal - repeat. The reward was good though - the Hevnoraak mask which looks cool, has a great deal of armor (41) and offers immunity to poison and disease. So 2 down, 6 more to go!

Btw, anyone here completed the quest - The Forbidden Legend? This is a very interesting quest in terms of the storyline, is bloody lengthy and offers a great deal of satisfaction upon completion! Details follow:

We are tasked with acquiring the 3 amulet fragments of Gauldur scattered in 3 different locations in Skyrim, of which two of them are pretty simple but the third one which is at Saarthal requires the character to attend the College of Winterhold first. The Saarthal requires a key to be unlocked and cannot be picked. Our tutor from the college accompanies us to Saarthal with the fellow students. Once the 3 fragments are collected, they need to be forged back into the amulet at Reachwater Rock but before that an epic boss battle ensues comprising of 3 different bosses (sons of Gauldur who ran away with the fragments) one after the other and get this - they can use the Unrelenting Force shout! I know of some of them Draugrs who could use the Disarm shout but using the Unrelenting Force shout, my character was simply thrown away to the corner of the room. Nonetheless, using the healing power and a couple of shouts, I was able to kill them. After the brothers are dealt with, the ghost of their father Gauldur appears and reforges the fragments into the Gauldur amulet. Upon wearing it, the necklace offers a +30 boost to health, stamina and magicka.

So if you are targeting this quest make sure you level up before attempting it. Also happened to kill a couple of frost dragons inside the courtyard of the college as well. :p

iamnew said:
Does leveling up slow down after reaching level 50.I am on 51 and its taking a very long time to level up.

Yes. Beyond a particular level for a skill, leveling up happens gradually and costs a lot more towards the later stages.