The Aam Admi Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Security is best covert rather than over done. British PM doesnt go around with a convoy or a huge troupe, you'l find him in a black sedan whiz past you and you wouldnt even know its him. Security should be effective not extravagant. In that sense, I get AK's logic.

Exactly. Ministers these days have ridiculous entourage following them everywhere. Contingents of 20, 30 and even 100 cars have been shown. Are they public servants or are they underworld kingpins?!

Of course there have been promises like free laptop, free* flour, rice etc in past. The same have become a trend. But what I appreciate in current scenario is to also pass on a message to encourage savings. Water, electricity is free upto a limit .. and fully chargeable if that limit is crossed. Of course applies to a certain section ... at least the message is clear.

^Fudged up numbers. Just like every phone is twice as faster than the other one. They're comparing normal security, to the one during the swearing in day journey. lol

Of course there have been promises like free laptop, free* flour, rice etc in past. The same have become a trend. But what I appreciate in current scenario is to also pass on a message to encourage savings. Water, electricity is free upto a limit .. and fully chargeable if that limit is crossed. Of course applies to a certain section ... at least the message is clear.

Giving things like commodities and food for free creates a sense of entitlement, which I am strongly against. First of all, the government should create the necessary situations for people to be able to support themselves. I believe that access to things like electricity, roads, schools, hospitals and water are more of a right, rather than just for people who can shell out money. Access is the key word here. Government colluding along with the private companies have made it impossible for a large section of the populace to ever be able to afford many of these things.

It's the primary reason why I believe that AAP is on the right track. They are making power and water available for free/very less money to the poor (or people who consume very less, since distinguishing between poor and rich while distributing is almost impossible) and for a price to the people who need to consume more and can shell out the money.

We will have to wait and watch to see theory turn into action, but I do have high hopes.

Giving things like commodities and food for free creates a sense of entitlement, which I am strongly against. First of all, the government should create the necessary situations for people to be able to support themselves. I believe that access to things like electricity, roads, schools, hospitals and water are more of a right, rather than just for people who can shell out money. Access is the key word here. Government colluding along with the private companies have made it impossible for a large section of the populace to ever be able to afford many of these things.

It's the primary reason why I believe that AAP is on the right track. They are making power and water available for free/very less money to the poor (or people who consume very less, since distinguishing between poor and rich while distributing is almost impossible) and for a price to the people who need to consume more and can shell out the money.

We will have to wait and watch to see theory turn into action, but I do have high hopes.

but does everyhousehold/building in delhi has a metered connection to their property?

in mumbai too , the meters are installed at the source for a building and not for each and every household.

also for the metered connection they have infact raised the water charges by 10 %.

news channels were also also saying majority of houses in delhi has bulk connection connected to a single meter.
rest dont have pipeline at all.
so those people might end up paying 10% more.

but does everyhousehold/building in delhi has a metered connection to their property?

in mumbai too , the meters are installed at the source for a building and not for each and every household.

also for the metered connection they have infact raised the water charges by 10 %.

news channels were also also saying majority of houses in delhi has bulk connection connected to a single meter.
rest dont have pipeline at all.
so those people might end up paying 10% more.

I am no expert and I completely agree with you that there might be loopholes in the way it is being tackled. But let's look at the larger picture here:
1. I do not believe that if a city like Delhi, which is financially doing extremely well, can have things like a Metro and superfast flyovers and not have pipelines laid out to all areas. Heard about the tanker mafia?
2. Going by the figures given by Kejriwal, and I am taking these because no one has contested these figures, the private power companies are milking consumers and reaping huge profits.
3. Congress was in power for 15 years in Delhi and BJP in many other states. Did you ever see such a detailed manifesto any time? Was the common man even aware of what the government was trying to do for him? Did we have even an iota of transparency?

All I am trying to say is that AAP's leaders are well-educated, they have worked hard in their respective fields and sincerely seem to be concerned with the sorry state of affairs in our country. Everyone makes mistakes and the best part of all this is that they have really set high standards for themselves. This makes them really accountable and they have no choice but to be transparent.

AAP's logic is sound: create a way for the lower classes to have access to water and electricity and promote conservation of power and electricity by penalising people who never give a damn. With power at least, people know they will have to foot the bill, but I have seen people be absolutely careless when it comes to water. For e.g., in most cases, if a maid is washing utensils, the water runs at full flow for the entire time she is there. I can understand that a lack of education and a host of other problems which are much more immediate to her play a role here, but because there is no monetary penalty, no one even bothers to stop her.

From whatever has transpired, I feel that they were under extreme pressure to get things checked off their list before the trust vote and they may have rushed things due to unrelenting pressure from Congress and BJP to deliver in 4 days what these parties have not delivered in 15-20 years. Give them some time and see what they offer. The other guys waiting to come back in power don't have anything better to offer, trust me.

+1.

Understandably, solution of many such issues may not come in one go; it may not be perfect fit even. The solution could be on path of continuous improvement. They are not perfect.. but they could turn out to be better. What is important is the intent - which we hope that of AAP is good - at least seems that way for now. What they eventually turn out to be, only god knows.

At the same time, no one can deny the fact that there is something 'different' with them. The fact is .. almost every one of us sincerely wish that there should be a good group who'd force the culture of honesty at grass root level - rest it will evolve.

I am no expert and I completely agree with you that there might be loopholes in the way it is being tackled. But let's look at the larger picture here:
1. I do not believe that if a city like Delhi, which is financially doing extremely well, can have things like a Metro and superfast flyovers and not have pipelines laid out to all areas. Heard about the tanker mafia?
it could be a case of not being provided with the pipeline since it was an illegal colony to begin with. the locals might know better.
2. Going by the figures given by Kejriwal, and I am taking these because no one has contested these figures, the private power companies are milking consumers and reaping huge profits.
he is only providing subsidy which is diverting the tax payers money to reduce the power tariffs. this move wont really pinch the power distribution companies.
earlier there were reports there was corruption done to monopolise the power distribution to BSES aka reliance. anything done on that front?
3. Congress was in power for 15 years in Delhi and BJP in many other states. Did you ever see such a detailed manifesto any time? Was the common man even aware of what the government was trying to do for him? Did we have even an iota of transparency?
being populist can help in the short term. how about in the long term?

All I am trying to say is that AAP's leaders are well-educated, they have worked hard in their respective fields and sincerely seem to be concerned with the sorry state of affairs in our country. Everyone makes mistakes and the best part of all this is that they have really set high standards for themselves. This makes them really accountable and they have no choice but to be transparent.

heard on news that kejriwal has taken possession of a govt duplex bungalow, something he was opposed to doing and had declared that their MLAs wont be taking govt bungalows.

From whatever has transpired, I feel that they were under extreme pressure to get things checked off their list before the trust vote and they may have rushed things due to unrelenting pressure from Congress and BJP to deliver in 4 days what these parties have not delivered in 15-20 years. Give them some time and see what they offer. The other guys waiting to come back in power don't have anything better to offer, trust me.

all the subsidies announced takes allotment of certain percentage of the budget.did he have the budget ready with him already.:confused:

it could be a case of not being provided with the pipeline since it was an illegal colony to begin with. the locals might know better.

It would be naive to think that in cities like Delhi, these illegal colonies have come up with the politicians and the police being helpless. The example that you have given is a very specific example and must be tackled separately. If a city has excess water production and many areas are not able to get water, not only illegal colonies, then it's more about water distribution rather than anything else.

he is only providing subsidy which is diverting the tax payers money to reduce the power tariffs. this move wont really pinch the power distribution companies.
earlier there were reports there was corruption done to monopolise the power distribution to BSES aka reliance. anything done on that front?
Are you aware that by citing a specific part of a law created by our very own lawmakers, power companies had literally told the Delhi govt to F-off when asked for an audit? Even in his Delhi assembly speech, he said that an audit is absolutely necessary.

being populist can help in the short term. how about in the long term?
You can be populist and you can be pragmatic about balancing the resources you have at hand. Delhi govt and Congress, to be more specific, is the populist one. Heard about schemes like NREGA and the Food Security Bill? They are siphoning off thousands of crores of our tax money into schemes which will just create a society of entitlement.

heard on news that kejriwal has taken possession of a govt duplex bungalow, something he was opposed to doing and had declared that their MLAs wont be taking govt bungalows.
Though I am not aware of this, but I don't mind if my lawmaker lives in a Govt allotted bungalow. However, I do mind if he zips along with a 20 car convoy holding up everyone in traffic. I do mind if he uses his lal batti to get his way in traffic. I do mind if he uses the police used to serve the city as his own personal bodyguard force. These things are more crucial. Not living in a bungalow would certainly go along with his image and their manifesto, but that is not the priority according to most Delhites I know.
http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/g...ter-arvind-kejriwal-466301?h_related_also_see

all the subsidies announced takes allotment of certain percentage of the budget.did he have the budget ready with him already.:confused:
What are you talking about? He has announced all subsidies by redistributing profit earned by the Delhi government. All these subsidies have been announced till the end of financial year. Lifting from here : http://www.indianexpress.com/news/a...ree-water-delhi-gets-halfprice-power/1214029/

The subsidy is expected to cost the state Rs 200 crore per quarter until the end of the financial year in March. However, Kejriwal said it would cost Rs 61 crore.

"Rs 61 crore will be given to Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited. But the remaining Rs 139 crore approximately will be given to government companies that are providing services and supply power to BSES Yamuna Private Limited and BSES Rajdhani Private Limited. And it will be adjusted from the accounts of BSES companies as they are yet to pay dues worth Rs 4,500 crore," the new chief minister said.

Asked whether the government could give a subsidy when a regulator is in place, Kejriwal said: "The government has powers to give subsidy."

Last edited:
Everyone talks about ideology & nation building plans cribbing about AAP not having one. But you guys should definitely have a look at Narendra Modi's Inspiring Plans. They're very interesting and intriguing. http://narendramodiplans.com/ (. . )

it would be better if you quote the plans in the "aam aadmi party thread".

BTW after so much noise of not using govt accomodations and govt vehicles. ministers of AAP will be using govt vehicles (innova) and govt accomodation.

doing exactly the opposite what they claimed they should be doing.

but hey!. they are atleast doing something.:oops::rolleyes:

I did not get the logic for paying for full amount of water consumed if consumption is over the free whatever number it is. I would say if one has to pay he should be paying only for the amount of consumption over the free limit.

I did not get the logic for paying for full amount of water consumed if consumption is over the free whatever number it is. I would say if one has to pay he should be paying only for the amount of consumption over the free limit.
650litres a day is more than sufficient for a house of 6people. If they use more than that only means that they are wasting water. And they should pay for entire amount used.
People washing their cars everyday dont deserve such benefits. So they should pay. I agree that one could work out a formula that n litres of water should be free and pay for what you use above and on top of x litres but since water is basic necessity and people in city already pay high amount in property tax I think this is a very sensible decision. Also down the line it will automatically discipline people to conserve water or use it reasonably ....
Just my opinion. I stay in Pune & don't know how things work in Delhi. But here in Pune I pay a property tax of Rs9650 /year for a 650sq ft flat. I think I deserve sufficient water at least at that cost :)

it would be better if you quote the plans in the "aam aadmi party thread".

BTW after so much noise of not using govt accomodations and govt vehicles. ministers of AAP will be using govt vehicles (innova) and govt accomodation.

doing exactly the opposite what they claimed they should be doing.

but hey!. they are atleast doing something.:oops::rolleyes:
My friend, they arent using the bungalows or the troupe of cars. But they need an official residence to preside with the much larger scope of work. Do you want a minister living in your building? Do you want to live with that inconvenience?

I cant believe how stupid people can be. Ministers were giving govt bungalows cause they were built with security in mind, they were more suitable for their work places and helped save time. But slowly it morphed into a whole VIP culture. That is what they are against. It would make sense to not just blindly jump gun on everything.[DOUBLEPOST=1388777698][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who is going to pay for all these free stuff and subsidy?
200 cr subsidy for power till the time the investigation of the real power dynamics are finished. 200 crore is like peanuts in for the delhi govt. Reducing corruption in a few places will adequately cover that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back