The Android Sham

There are some competent entry level phones in the market.

There is Optimus Net, Optimus Pro, HTC Explorer. All are more than decent for 10k price range.

If you are considering Focus which will obviously be imported, you can also consider G2x (American Optimus 2X). You can have one for about $250-260 range now on ebay.

There would have been lot of other options had it not been for the inflated US$ price.

Its not like there are no good options. There are plenty of options out there. But the transformation the mobile industry went through in last 2 years is making us feel that we dont get good options like before.

Everyone is comparing it with Nokia N series phones, but if you look at the specifications, those high end phones offered very little over their cheaper cousins. There was not even a resolution bump in most cases.

In last 2 years the bar has been raised considerably due to launch of superphones which offer considerably more than what we were used to.

And as always we want everything at cheaper prices which frankly is not possible.

With Dell XCD 35 you do get high resolution screen but weaker SOC.

With other options, you get better overall package, but the gap in performance, features and prices between these mainstream / midbudget phones and high end phones is very high and its high because there is huge difference in the performance and features between these phones. This gap is much larger now than in days of Symbian era.

Windows Phone 7 is another story because the relative restrictive nature of the hardware platform which is what makes a focus very good bang for the buck. But the platform has its own shares of issues and limitations which tested my patience until recently where I simply decided enough is enough and ditched Focus as my secondary phone. But its still a good phone and meets OP's requirements.

The only reason Focus was even available at $200-230 price range on ebay was its contract price which was lower. The phone is not suppose to be this cheap, but because of the way the american market works, we can buy this phone at this price. Few months back you could have bagged a new focus for less than $200, but now sellers know its hot selling device and brand new ones are now fetching more than $200 on ebay.

On the other hand G2X is now available at very competitive price and had it not been the costly $ would have been great sub 15k phone. I would still take it over focus as it is a better phone which is worth $20-30 more than focus on relatively more matured platform with great support from developers.

And yeah if you are open to grey market stuff there is Xperia Ray available for close to 16k which is great little device for that price.

This is how i see it....There is NO phone in the market that is 100% perfect

Be it android/iOS/BB/Nokia's Bella/WP... etc...

People buy devices according to their needs,if u want customization go for android

If you want friendly usability go for nokia,office goers prefer BB 80% of the time....

iPhone is a brand and so people prefer it plus its apple so yea again a brand as some see it...

So,there is no need to freaking get all HOT over android ONLY....

Open ur eyes a little and u might see things clearly

Ohh,yea i'm a defy user myself...soon to be extinct or not but its one hell of a piece when comes to really ROUGH use,thts how its built and thts why people call it "UGLY" it ain't ugly its rugged :hap2:

If u really want a beautiful piece then better go for a barbie doll version for ur fav. brand :p (Kidding) but seriously,every device has its own pros and cons so there is NO point in debating b/w phones and their platforms

Just use what you feel is better or suits you...simple enough i guess ??

Mobile phones is a subjective topic,if i like android doesn't mean that u should like it too...

No point in starting such a thread which evolves into a HOT debate.... :huh:

If you want my opinion on what phone u should get then there it is "Get anything that fullfills your needs" short n sweet...

H2O said:
Oh and about the Defy bit, dude seriously. I'm sorry to have struck a chord between you and your beloved phone. I call'em as I see'em and according to me the Defy is ugly, also with no 2.3 update(don't even go into rooting) officially, I do not see buying a soon to-be extinct device.

I don't own a defy and don't consider it as the best looking phone either but then I buy phones for usability, not their looks. And since BB and Nokia are losing market share whereas according to you, they are the only ones concentrating on usability, the only logical inference to derive is that people have stopped buying phones for usability. Seems a bit of a leap to me.I own a Galaxy SL and you are free to criticize it as much as you want. I don't give two hoots.

Lets see you recommend a good phone, below 15k

Lets see you recommend a good phone below 3k from Nokia or BB? What sort of a random retarded benchmark is 15k to judge whether a platform is good or not.

^^ Dude chill out. This is a forum where everyone is allowed to voice an opinion. Why do Android fanboys get so offensive when someone calls out against their platform of choice ? If you can't keep it civil , you do not need to reply.

What the OP here means is that thinking of Android, one expects it to do everything no matter what the price point of the phone is.

The fact of the matter is that Android is extremely harsh on the hardware. Case in point, LG Optimus Black. Even for 18k, a 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM, I cannot rely on a phone to do everything without a hitch. Personally, I don't suggest anyone Android with a budget below 20k. If they insist, I tell them that they should be prepared for some level of compromise.

Currently, only Windows Phone 7 comes close to iPhone 4 in terms of smoothness while offering models with a price range ~20k. Limitations are there as compared to Android, but it depends on how much you already know ( about Android) and how much you want to fiddle (on a daily basis, no less) to get the best performance out of your phone.

A closed ecosystem isn't always the worst case scenario.

hahahari said:
"A few inches of screen, a few bumps in processing speed"? Really dude? Screens today are like 4 times bigger and better. and processors the same. You dont need "Top-Line phones" to enjoy the best of the world. Get the mid range phones and do everything you want and still have room to expand the usage. Today Phones are much more focused on user experience. If android wasnt arnd, the only best user experience phone would be iPhones. Now how much do THEY cost? :p

Atleast understand the line properly. "dude".

For phones under <=15K all the difference is, same android with "A few inches of screen, a few MB's of RAM". and yes. The android experience on those are next to nothing.

But by your answer ur satisfied with the android experience. So this falls on deaf ears. :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@manu

Well, If u do check the forums itself. The "users" do tend to have herd hehaviour. Its not just android is cool. Its cool to have android. I think thats how people see it.

Atleast all the people that asks for phone opinions to me.

But on the same hand. They dont have much options either. Android rules the entry to mid range smart phone experience. Well, BB has their own followers.

"Hey man, Can u recommend me a android phone?"

I find Defy quite good looking. I find the cheaper Nokia series to be ugly and well "cheap". So there you go, looks are subjective.

Give me one phone that nokia has that has not given you "Out of memory" errors. None. Symbian was a good platform, but its time has passed.

NO one has a gun to your head. Stick to cheaper nokia phones or Mid range BB. See how it helps you ease your day :)

Sei said:
Personally, I don't suggest anyone Android with a budget below 20k. If they insist, I tell them that they should be prepared for some level of compromise.

Very much correct.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hahahari said:
NO one has a gun to your head. Stick to cheaper nokia phones or Mid range BB. See how it helps you ease your day :)

See this kinda replies are bit irritating. The Holier than thou attitude. Everyone knows buying phone doesnt involve guns. :p

If one cant have a healthy debate, then whats the point of spending hours on internet forums. :(. And in the middle someone comes and destroys the fun.

^ It isn't attitude. I am merely stating that there are options, if you think Android doesnt justify the price, then no need to get it. Android dint destroy anything, it just plugged a hole in the market.

Low end phones with basic networking features are still available. Android id for those who look for using their phones a bit more than as just phones. People switched to android bcs they saw value in it. Users personal opinions and needs is what Android caters to.

And to be honest, do I really care if my replies are irritating Not so much, it is a fact. But yes Android demands a bit of premium. And the fact that unless ur hung up on "top end phone", you will get very decent phones under 20k. If you dont, its just cuz your not looking.

This thread made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to OP for fantastic flamebaiting.

There are hot tempers all around protecting their devices be it android,wp7,symbian,webos .

I was having a discussion with my friend about this topic about the effect of marketing by mobile companies glorifying specs like 1gz processor etc.He was absolutely right! people are under the impression that only the most expensive flagship is good for satisfactory android experience,rest is b*11$4!t.I am going to ask him to join this forum and reply to this thread with analysis and hard facts and not just flaming.lets see if he agrees.He is good at this topic!

I have a galaxy S2, Nokia E5 and bb bold2(for office only)

My primary phone is the same old E5, gs2 is fantastic but somehow I trust the E5 more(it is more than a year old)

Android is great, but for me symbian still rocks, awesome battery life, excellent pushmail(sometimes even better than the bb, anyday better than android), best signal reception and superb voice clarity.

What else can I expect from a phone?

Sent from Galaxy S2

There is a lack of feature phones within 10-12k which does not use a touch screen but have most of the modern features. All my friends and colleagues who have bought sub 15k androids had second thoughts about their purchases, some even went to get other alternatives. In my opinion Android is not yet fully optimized for low to mid level hardware. Laggy UI, low battery life, low memory available for apps does not justify the 15k one is shelling out. I have a HTC Legend which was top end of mid segment when I got it. The UI is laggy, the touch is spotty and there are several bugs. While I love the customization options, I think the old Nokia feature phones were more useable.

I am currently looking for a non touch screen 3G feature phone under 12k, the only decent option seems to be the Nokia C5-00. I miss the N series.

Android is decent, but to enjoy it fully you need a high end device. The mid level ones fall short by some distance.

Maybe newer Android versions don't run very well on low end devices but which touch screen OS would you have if Android were not there. I can't imagine an iOS device selling for 8-14k (even a 2 generation old 3GS costs more). Considering WP7's minimum system requirements it doesn't seem that they will hit that price point anytime soon either.

Even if iOS or WP7 continue production of 2-3 year old models to being down the price they will have either ship with older OS versions or cut out some features. It would be similar to the Andoid situation with respect to laggy performance (terrible iOS4 performance on 3G when it released).

There's no way manufacturers are going to spend resources on optimizing mid/low end phones when they can release a new phone with the latest OS version and make more money (Samsung India can't even be bothered to provide an update to its Galaxy S2 for the past 6 months).

jc36lect3r said:
Yes, Android brings touchscreen to the masses, but some of the masses don't WANT a touchscreen :)

So what does android has to do with that? Android is designed to be a Touch oriented OS.

There are plenty of options out there who want good old candybar phones.

There are even Android phones with QWERTY keyboards like the OPtimus Pro, where keypad is great for typing, but Android is not designed to be operated as key only interface. You will be barking at a wrong tree if you are blaming android for that.

Shripad said:
There are plenty of options out there who want good old candybar phones.

I am on the look out for one. I find that the options are somewhat limited to Android, hence my posting in this thread. I don't have anything against Android (heck I am using one), but I find touch screen phones in general have swamped the mid level segment snuffing out the good old keypad feature phones. Android just happens to be on the majority of these devices.

hahahari said:
I find Defy quite good looking. I find the cheaper Nokia series to be ugly and well "cheap". So there you go, looks are subjective.
Give me one phone that nokia has that has not given you "Out of memory" errors. None. Symbian was a good platform, but its time has passed.

No FUD please. I have used nGage QD & Nokia 3230 in the past. [and also Nokia 5310] NONE of them ever gave me memory errors as far I remember. OR may be one or two in a year :p

Don't ever compare Hardware optimization of Nokia devices with Android, it was far ahead even back then.

My bro has N79. he wanted touch screen & wanted to try something new. He bought Galaxy S. And sold it after a week & switched back to N79. I know the mobile wasn't tailored for him, he shouldn't have tried Android at all. He was expecting something awesome for 16K but was disappointed. Battery issues, laginess, touch interface & what not. But main thing was battery back up.

If that is so, then who exactly these devices are targeted, which simply boast about proc, memory etc ? Mind you, TE is tech forum, so most of the people here care about specs. But what about everyone ? Many of my friends have not rooted their Android. Most of them don't even know what is meant by rooting. All bought it, because they thought it'd be cool. Same reason most of the people buy iPhones. Many are simply being fooled. 1GHz proccy doesn't mean your device is faster. My friend who has 1GHz Android mocks me that he has faster proccy & RAM compared to my iPhone 4. I just ROFL :rofl:

I really don't think even 25% of total Android users root their device. Same with iPhones, who JB it. That is my perspective.

Android is all about bumps :p Same with iPhone. With new iPhone 4S all they bragged about new proccy & 8MP, rather concentrating more on Siri in WWDC.

Upgrade in Android means bump in screen size, proccy specs, RAM, mega pixels etc. And size of battery. It is just getting bigger & bigger, lol :lol:

btw I still have nGage QD which works perfectly. Oh wait, it is 6 years old.

8echH.jpg

Battery back up is obviously not good cos it has some local battery. Couldn't find original nokia battery. Voice clarity, signal reception still awesome. Does it lag ? Like, never. Everything working perfectly, even after damn 6 years.

I am one more guy missing Nokia N series phones badly.

I Was an Android user Myself, but couldn't use the Darn phone for more than an year..

I was having the X10 mini.. Good at start,but later started the battery Life issues,later music player issues, later no signal reception..

After rooting, few of my problems were solved, but still I feel thats its ageing fast...

My good old K550i Still rocks and gives me 2 days of full usage...(Original Battery no change)..

I also own an iPod, iPad and they rarely lag..

The Point is, the OP is true.. There really are no phones below 15K that tick all requirements...

My Friend who uses a Wave 2 also tells that, he never faces an issue..

Why are people bugged to buy Android Phones??

Seriously, Android is the only OS thats very badly optimized for hardware. Very demanding, Low efficiency. etc.

Android phones last maybe 6 months max, without lagging.. Once they update, lags/issues start...

My Dad's BB 8520 still rocks after 3 years... Even BB is plagued by issues, but surely it gives a good experience for the price..

I think Android suits well for maybe tablets/laptops which are ought to be charged daily.. But for phones, it rarely lasts 10Hrs with a decent use..

(Sorry Guys, I am not being bad.. Just voicing my views.. Never meant to hurt anyone..)

Why are people still expecting 5 days of battery life on new phones. Did u guys use gprs/3g/wifi on your phone 5 years ago? Did u play HD games ?

Then why are you guys expecting that from todays smartphones. They have different functions from the ones 5 years ago and the world has moved on and accepted touchscreen smart phones

You just cant blame android/iphone for starting a trend for touch phones . Bar phone makers like nokia , SE themselves joined the touch screen phones rat race , nobody had invited them to come and make touch phones

Nokia had some good N series phones, instead of bringing more features in them nokia stoped making them.

And android is for masses. You cant expect it to be optimised for each and every phone like iphone.

If you want are properly optimised phone go for flagship nexus phones.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

lol Buddy...

I like touch phones and infact I am using an Asus M10 for now(Backup phone)..

I am just saying that Android is badly optimized..

My friend's 3GS lasts 2 days with heavy music usage and little gaming.. Try that on your droid and tell me the same..

Back