The Android Sham

I have the LG Optimus One, rooted on day 1.. Its been a year, getting battery for 1.5days minimum... doing whatsapp for an hour, lil bit og gaming for 3-4 hrs.. gprs on 24x7, voice calls 2-3 hrs. messaging say 10 times an hour and i still get 30% after dat on a day.. pretty satisfied.. got the fone for 12k.. I dt see anything bad with the pricing or the proc or the memory !!

no sham its all glam !!

teja92 said:
lol Buddy...

I like touch phones and infact I am using an Asus M10 for now(Backup phone)..

I am just saying that Android is badly optimized..

My friend's 3GS lasts 2 days with heavy music usage and little gaming.. Try that on your droid and tell me the same..

^Yup. Here is battery back up of my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 :

imageigg.jpg

It’s great to see that there are others who feel just like me. For, those of you’ll who are telling me it’s not possible to give us the fluidity of a high-end phone on a medium range phone need to understand that it is the manufacturers job to customize the OS for every device, not just load a generic version of the OS on every device. This is what is ruining the entire experience. If today they could optimize the OS for cheaper devices by disabling a few services and making the OS leaner by adding things like text-only menus in certain areas, etc. Then obviously the performance difference would be reduced and at the same time it would make a clear distinction between the high-end and others.

Google’s job is just to build a vanilla version of Android, this MUST be customized suitably. You cannot expect Google, to make a release for every processor and graphics combination out there. But, one can expect the manufacturer to customize the OS to match their phone.

Coming to the point about battery life, if I am not wrong every battery has a certain number of charge and discharge cycles it can go through. If your phone is being charged twice a day, do you realize how fast your battery will die?

The point of this thread is to create a bit of awareness among us members of TE that we aren’t actually being offered the best products anymore for the money we are paying.

avi said:
^Yup. Here is battery back up of my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 :

imageigg.jpg

Don't mean to nitpick, but 84% loss over 7 hours and 18 min isn't really all that great. That would translate to around 8 hours of usage over a single charge. My crappy $170 Blade gives me a standby time of around 9% discharge over a 24 hour period with 2G data ON and a usage time of 8-9 hours with mail, twitter, weather and Whatsapp syncing on at all times.

This thread is win. Android destroying low end market, iphone's having great battery life, keypads on android, out of memory errors on all nokia devices. Awesome stuff really.

^iPhone does has great battery back up when compared to top android devices.

but it sucks when u compare it with OSs like Meego, Win 7, Symbian, Bada etc.

I really Love My Asus M10(Windows Mobile 6.5.3 PRo) for its fluid UI and awesome Battery life(Lasts 2-3 days in real world usage)

Windows phones have a really fluid UI and are very responsive...

iPhones are really cool , except for the premium you pay for it at start :p

If Only Android was efficient on Battery, it would have been a real win..

But people nowadays tend to charge phones daily twice, so it doesn't matter..

But still, it doesn't have the Fluid UI of Windows Phone Mango, or the Super Quality of Apps as in iOS..

Android Memory Management should definitely be modified for good..

I will buy another droid Only if i find something Fluid and is available at a lower cost..

Symbian is still Hanging on the edge, but for people like us, It will be good... :) Especially for its Battery Backup, Simplicity and the of course, reliability..

People always find things to complain !

iOs has no budget phones but when Android does give you that they crib about that also .

What do you expect Google to give you free S2's ? :D

I took a leap of faith and jumped into the android world. I think I hit a concrete slab. Didn't know even the floor was customisable and I needed to put hay there.

I only found two problems with android:

Internal memory? I last thought of it when my old sub-3k Nokia phone died on me. If a wretched symbian doesn't care about it then why should I keep a tab on my internal memory and beg "Apps2Sd" to make life easier for me

Battery life? Enuf said

Out of the box usage; I think is the worst.

I love my android device though. But I would say Android is overhyped.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

Well I had a feeling that this topic was going to come up sooner or later,If not android then it might have been against symbian/iOS whatever OS a person likes/doesn't like..Big Big post so feel free to read when you are free..

Android always had software and hardware fragmentation. The only reason many and I dare say most of us have android phones in our pockets is thanks to fragmentation. Don't like Samsung? Well, There is SE for you. Don't want to spend 25k? You can always get an Android phone at 10k and so on.

Imagine If Google had launched only the nexus series till now. So Nexus one,Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. How many phones they would have sold? And I can't imagine the state of Android Market in that state.

The place where people go wrong is the expectations. Yes, IP 4 and even IP 3GS can run most apps and even many games available on Apple Appstore. The question many people ask me is "Why can't an Optimus one P500 play 3D games which O2x can"?. "They are based on the same OS, Hell they are made by the same company !" . Well the thing is you get what you pay for.

The way Android has been distributed, An the way Hardware Manufacturers use it varies a lot inter-Brand. Morever Most of them cannot have as tight an integration between the hard and soft parts as say Apple does with iOS or Nokia does with Symbian. This is the reason Why phones with exactly the same Soc and even the same Android versions have varying levels of usability.

For ex Motorola Defy and LG O Black. Defy, stock Rom, OOB was fast. Lg as users report is laggy. They have exactly the same screen res(well almost), The same Soc, The same amount of RAM,and untill recently the same Android Version.

Remember a few years ago, Nokia N97 and Nokia 5233 had the same Processor, and even the same screen pixel wise,Yet there was a price difference of 20k between them that was because in Those days there were things like Camera Quality/MP , Inbuilt memory etc that mattered more to users then the OS it was running or the amount of apps the platform had. Even until last year Nokia had C6-01 and Nokia N8 selling together. It was a great move ,Because the User exp generally did not vary based on his Budget. He was free to choose between a sexier design and a compact phone or a higher end camera or a midrange one.

There are two more issues I wanted to touch upon. There has been a general perception that Android market(And appstore) is bad because It has a lot of useless apps like "fart apps". Well I beg to differ.No one is forcing you to buy/use them. Having more Apps is giving a user more freedom to choose. After Appstore there is no doubt that Android has the best market . What do you get in the ovi store? Java apps?

You buy an android phone. Chances are you won't like it OOB. Maybe you dont like the keyboard? Well go the market and get a new one. Same thing with the Home launcher. And Most are free,and If paid are cheap enough. How many Keyboards and Home Replacements are available for Symbian/Wp7? Yes the Wp7 has a good Keyboard by default and If you are buying it chances are you are in love with the Tiles based interface, But still little more variety never hurts.The N8 Keyboard is a disaster.

On most of My Android Phones I had Launcher Pro and Swiftkey Keyboard. Doesnt matter if it was an LG or a moto or HTC. I had the same UI and the same keyboard with even the same dictionary words for prediction.

Another discussion concerns Budget phones with Android OS with the general perception being Android is "laggy" on Cheaper phones and that it is not worth buying "<25k" and so on. Well I have used a lot of Android budget phones,and Like I said in the beginning due to fragmentation It depends on the the Individual manufacturer and even the particular model how it turns out. You obviously can't buy an Andro A60 and complain that It can't run Galaxy on fire or That it can't Play Flash games. But If you are complaining about the UI/Basic Telephony then Yes,You have a right to get annoyed.

For Ex Samsung Launched 2 budget android phones in 2010 : Galaxy 3 and galaxy 5. Among these galaxy 3 was selling for 11k and Galaxy 5 for 9k. Galaxy 3 other then the general specs, even had a faster processor as per Samsung Literature. I went ahead and bought Galaxy 3 and in the process burnt my fingers. Th UI was laggy to a point where scrolling the phonebook was a disaster, and even answering calls. Then I realized That Galaxy 5 the cheaper one,with The puny screen actually has better Soc and can actually play many android games. And the UI on Galaxy 5 is "Butter smooth"

That tells us that you have to be careful when Buying android phones. You have to read up the reviews, and most importantly the user opinions of the people who actually have the handset.

I also had the Budget android LG P500. Again OOB It was fast, Could browse the net, Could play PES and in general was a very satisfying buy. Same with Defy and Xperia X10. Never have given me a cause for headache(Although I managed to brick the X10 once while upgrading to 2.3). Battery life in android is always a disaster,and that is one of the weaker points of the OS.

Have been a Nokia fanboi through and through(see my avatar,unchanged for the past xx years), and although Both N9 and Lumia are lovely phones,I dont think I will be parking my money near them.

Point being that I hate Samsung and android is annoying but my next phone will be a Samsung droid. :cool2:

Regards,

aka.

Well, in a way I agree with the OP. While earlier we had just 2 main platforms, Symbian & Java, the fight was mostly with regards to a better UI, build quality, music quality & cam quality. And Nokia was like Samsung while SE commanded premium (like Apple). We had everything from plastic phones to metal cases and times were simpler. There was no facebook or twitter to access. ;)

I remember my 1st phone was a Nokia 1100, closely followed by a SE S700 (kudos to those who remember this humongous phone. Probably the thickest phone I've ever seen !). It had a massive screen (for it's time) and used to open with a 180 degree swivel ! This was followed by a M600, then W950 and for a short period, P990. Finally settled on the K850i in 2008. Was bitten by the touchscreen bug in 2009 and bought the Omnia 2, which was awesome. Loads of flashing & customizing and an uber cool AMOLED display, but it did had it cons. UI was a bit laggy and battery life was pathetic. Many apps had broken menu items and screen resolution issues. Finally couldn't bear the "charge once a day" syndrome, so sold it and went back to the good old K850i.

Since this year beginning, I've been thinking of upgrading my phone but I'm still undecided. There's nothing appealing the 15-18k bracket, which is mainly due to Android. Instead of the creativity in designing a new phone (as seen last gen with SE), all we see are carbon copies of each other with a specs bump here and there. And even then, the experience is like using Win Vista on a 1st gen netbook.

I tried using my friend's Galaxy S1 (and later S2) for more than 2 days, but the bland design & crappy UI didn't cut it. More than that, it was the lag, the moodiness of the apps, the random hang-ups/crashes and the literally crappy battery life which made me hate it. Similar case with S2. Nearly all the Sammy phones (from a low budget to the S2) look alike. Sure nit pickers can find a difference here and there, but try identifying them eyes closed and you'll be hard pressed.

I don't remember the last time my old SE crashed on me. It still makes calls and sends SMSs with the same force as before. I can still open Opera Mini and browse nearly every site I need. Email syncs work fine & I can backup contacts on Gmail. Yes, it can't play HD games but it sure as hell can play any damn Java game you throw at it. And even after doing all this, I can manage to squeeze nearly 3 days of battery life out of it. On a personal note, I'm more of a face-to-face kinda person rather than social network nut, so constant access to FB & Twitter isn't important to me. It's better to poke people in real life than on FB. :eek:hyeah:

I certainly feel like upgrading it, but then either it's gonna be with any of the Nokia E series phones (sexy and useful) or a WinMo 7 phone (works as expected, no issue with apps etc) or an iPhone. After doing a fair share of flashing with Omnia 2, I would prefer something which gives me a great OOB experiece (as most of the last gen phones did). Right now, the options are pretty less.

Gosh, for those who complain about not having good sub 15K phones, have you not heard of the Xperia Mini? 13K with a 1Gig processor and 5MP shooter? Or Maybe the Moto Defy? or a bit more pricey Xperia Neo V?

Prices are subjective to hardware specification, not based on Android because it's almost the same on the cheapest to the highest end! So, if your argument is that Android is responsible for Mid Segment pricing dilemma, it's not, it's completely based on the hardware!

X-jo said:
I have the LG Optimus One, rooted on day 1.. Its been a year, getting battery for 1.5days minimum... doing whatsapp for an hour, lil bit og gaming for 3-4 hrs.. gprs on 24x7, voice calls 2-3 hrs. messaging say 10 times an hour and i still get 30% after dat on a day.. pretty satisfied.. got the fone for 12k.. I dt see anything bad with the pricing or the proc or the memory !!
Same here, I've used CM7 on my optimus one from the beginning and I've had no reason to complain. It seems that all those who haven't been too keen on trying out custom roms are dissatisfied with their android phones. I agree that the user shouldn't have to resort to rooting and custom roms but that's the Faustian bargain you make when you buy an android phone.

raunaqmorarka said:
Same here, I've used CM7 on my optimus one from the beginning and I've had no reason to complain. It seems that all those who haven't been too keen on trying out custom roms are dissatisfied with their android phones. I agree that the user shouldn't have to resort to rooting and custom roms but that's the Faustian bargain you make when you buy an android phone.

alekhkhanna said:
I certainly feel like upgrading it, but then either it's gonna be with any of the Nokia E series phones (sexy and useful) or a WinMo 7 phone (works as expected, no issue with apps etc) or an iPhone. After doing a fair share of flashing with Omnia 2, I would prefer something which gives me a great OOB experience (as most of the last gen phones did). Right now, the options are pretty less.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Though flashing with different ROMs is fun in the beginning, nothing replaces having a great OOB experience which Windows Phone 7/ iOS offers.

The best way to go about it is to buy a low/mid-end Android device, flash and play around with it, get bored of the routine and in the meantime save money to get a high end iOS/WP7/Android device and be happy. That's what I did! (Spica --> HD7) :p

PS: I was shocked myself, but my HD7 gives me around 2-2.5 days battery usage easily with DATA turned off and rest normal usage (calls, messages and little bit of Wi-Fi usage etc). I had never used this before with DATA off. With DATA on, I get 1 day which is normal for smartphones now I guess.

Symbain is underrated imho.

It offers a very good package (720p avi/mkv/mp4),usb otg,gps + maps.

Granted you dont get as many apps (yay,my epen is larger!1).

I have a love-hate relationship with Android. I love the fact that I can customize it to the absolute extreme. I also hate it for the very same reason.

We all have our likes and dislikes so it's great that we can flash custom ROMs on our devices. There are a bewildering amount of choices if you have the right hardware.

It's also great to be able to squeeze every last bit of performance from our phones by overclocking them, no matter how much it may wreck the battery life.

I love that we can easily install (usually far better) alternatives to the many default apps on the phone.

I really HATE that I must do this in order to have a satisfactory smartphone experience on my Nexus S.

Flashing the latest and greatest ROMs to find the best fit for your phone eventually becomes tiresome. There is always some issue to contend with.

For most people; the geeks, the techies and the rest of us alike, it all boils down to having a phone/entertainment device that just works. Sad as it may be to admit it, Android fails (often miserably) in this regard. It's even worse that 'their way or the highway' Apple has mostly got it down right.

For example, how is it that 7 (or 5, depending on your perspective) versions since release, Android still doesn't have a smart dialer. Sure I can download one from the market, but why must I? This isn't 2005! Some OEM's do their customers a favour and include it (hello Samsung), whereas others don't.

@red dragon: What's the point, I ask you? It's a smartphone, an experience which is heavily data reliant. What benefit is gained by turning off your data, just to preserve battery life? All smart phones have issues with battery life, some more than others. To make apologies for it doesn't do anything to solve the problem. I say this because of all the platforms existing today, Android is by far the worst offender.

(Excuse the minor rant). Disappointed in stock ICS :(

@op If you don't like it then just look elsewhere and put in that energy researching other phones.

Personally -

I've never found the iPhone's price points lucrative enough. My next device won't be an Android for sure.

WP7 has a very interesting interface, I almost bought an HD7 because of the layout, UI etc. I'd love to get my hands on that Lumia 800. Looks like a touchy/feely phone. Stunningly beautiful and the best WP7 phone till date.

Bought an SGS2 because I wanted to try a high-end Android phone. It's an awesome phone, though I must admit I wasn't too impressed by the build/look at first glance. OOTB it frankly has the ability to be a big turn off. I bought it primarily for surfing and it's flawless.

Girl w/ SGS2: You're still on 2.3.3? Battery life must be bad. Monologue continues....

Me: *Thinking* fight against these iPhone/WP7 users, we're on the same side. :huh:

Android Fragmentation!

Maestro said:
@red dragon: What's the point, I ask you? It's a smartphone, an experience which is heavily data reliant. What benefit is gained by turning off your data, just to preserve battery life? All smart phones have issues with battery life, some more than others. To make apologies for it doesn't do anything to solve the problem. I say this because of all the platforms existing today, Android is by far the worst offender.

(Excuse the minor rant). Disappointed in stock ICS :(

Oye!I also wanted to say what`s the point?If one can barely use the superphone for less than 12hrs on a single charge with everything running.

I am on 2.3.6(gs2,stock ROM,custom kernel)and the battery still sucks royally without any tweak(CM7 is even worse,in fact it is pathetic to say the least)

Back