*** The Anti-Showoff Thread ***

ujjwal said:
This thread is amazing. Until around 2006 I had a brilliant PC which I used primarily for gaming. It was a Celeron 266 MHz system running Windows 98SE and Linux with XFCE :D . I used it to play Half-Life, Grim Fandango, AoE, UT, Midtown Madness, Jedi Knight, FIFA and who knows how many other awesome games. Some of its highlights were:

1. Processor overclocked within an inch of its life to allow playable frame rates on these games

2. CDRW drive with a faulty tray which was preciously treasured as it allowed installation from CHIP/digit demo desks

3. 128MB SDRAM salvaged from a broken office system

4. No USB support, so I bought a cheap PCI USB adapter to use my shiny new 128MB pen drive (A gift)

5. An Intel i740 graphics card, my first upgrade after months of research from CHIP magazines

6. 20GB hard disk split between 2 OS's

7. A super tweaked linux desktop environment to allow for some usability

It saddens me that this machine is in some box somewhere I don't recall, and I can't bring it out to show off. Now, I have a job, a computer that can run Crysis and a large Steam library that I never use. I would give anything to have those days back.

Ujjwal I exactly get what you meant. I had a Pentium 2 400 mhz with a Sis 6326 4mb video card some years back (a large part of my college life). The amount of gaming on that computer was insane, those were the times when I use to clock 60+ hrs of gaming per week etc :p My mom gave away the parts to a local ragdiwalla despite my sentimental protests :)

Now I have a job too :p a decent gaming rig, a PS3, but I hardly game due to lack of time.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I am talkin older than u but those were really awesome the games at that time was also good

Anyone remember Prince, Chip, DOOM, WOLF3D, etc...

Played loads of Prince 1, infact I might just search for the mono-soundtrack of that game. Doom and Wolf3d had their times too, plus along with Prince 1 had spent a large time playing Double dragon too :p

carbonn said:
@boogeyman

May be Skyroads... i guess... the game...
Riiiiiighhhtt... That was the one. Pure fun :)

Aces170 said:
Ujjwal I exactly get what you meant. I had a Pentium 2 400 mhz with a Sis 6326 4mb video card some years back (a large part of my college life). The amount of gaming on that computer was insane, those were the times when I use to clock 60+ hrs of gaming per week etc :p My mom gave away the parts to a local ragdiwalla despite my sentimental protests :)

Now I have a job too :p a decent gaming rig, a PS3, but I hardly game due to lack of time.

The 2 songs: Time and High Hopes by Pink Floyd come to mind :crazeyes:

First computer which came at my home was a 486 CPU, with DOS and later windows 3.1, monochrome monitor and 5.25" floppy disk slot. No optical drive at all, 8MB RAM and 540 MB HDD.

My dad had purchased this for his tally/accounts work and it cost around 50000 rupees :O

I remember fitting an AC inside the room where computer was because it was a notion that computers tend to become super hot and AC should be there :p

I was super happy when dad had purchased a box of blank floppies and had got a hocus pocus game floppy free. Have played that games countless number of times.

I still have that vintage HDD with me and also around 5-7 5.25" floppies.

boogeyman said:
Does anyone remember the game where you had this spaceship which used to keep moving forward and you had to keep it on a platform and jump (by clicking the mouse or pressing spacebar) whenever there was a gap in the platform?

I remember the game but dont remember the name... There are some really low end games like that also but cant recollect the name :frusty:

First computer which came at my home was a 486 CPU, with DOS and later windows 3.1, monochrome monitor and 5.25" floppy disk slot. No optical drive at all, 8MB RAM and 540 MB HDD.
My dad had purchased this for his tally/accounts work and it cost around 50000 rupees
I remember fitting an AC inside the room where computer was because it was a notion that computers tend to become super hot and AC should be there
I was super happy when dad had purchased a box of blank floppies and had got a hocus pocus game floppy free. Have played that games countless number of times.
I still have that vintage HDD with me and also around 5-7 5.25" floppies.

Man epic Comp... Windows 3.1 was very diffult to use....

For a non techie 540Mb HDD seems like a joke or something... But at that time if anybody understood comps then owners would brag and others would drool...

Seriously wish had kept my comp man... All combined together we could open a Museum and then show them off... :hap2:

My First PC :

2q8cztc.jpg

Config :

Intel P3 1.1GHz

128MB SDRam

20GB Hard Drive

A CD reader whose bay needs fingering inorder to open it.

120W PSU

I used to play Dave,Wolf 3D,Speedkar,I-hopper, and some other games on it and it was a complete showoff for me infront of my friends because at that time i was in class 3 or 4 (year 2000) and there was hardly anyone who own a PC.

My dad spent 50k on it for accounting purpose and hired an accountant who was absolutely n00b and I and my brother regard him as techno at that time.

And, illegally shutdown of PC was like a dooms-minute for us because that accountant fellow told us that it will 100% destroy the PC..

Today, i own my 3rd PC, second was P4 bot in 2006 and my current PC is soo powrful that if i connect 40 of my first PC's together then also it wont be able to compete the single unit.........

Lol, I didnt even have a PC until halfway through college. I had to make do with a tape deck I made out of scrap parts and a junk collection of casettes ( as in bought from a junk dealer for 10 a piece). The casettes were awesome stuff. Mostly foreign with some metal/chromium tapes given away by folks migrating to CD's

Seen here with my Soundcard I bought afterwards playing mark knopfler & chet atkins neck & neck (yup, thats the stuff i used to listen to in college) :)

:D

My first computer was bought in 1997 by Dad.

It cost him nearly 1200$, their department at the office was one of the first to use proper computing to do their work(i dont know what the sentence meant,i think you might get what he was trying to say).

We were the first in our colony to buy a PC,everyone in the colony would stop by and wonder at windows 95.

It was pentium 1,with 32MB Ram,4GB hard disk.(i was around 6 to 7 years old then)

I got a tom and jerry cd free along with a pc,which i absolutely cherish.(had loads of fun watching it on the desktop).

And then was introduced to internet at 28.8kbps(dial up :p),it opened up a whole new world of games to me.

Wolf3D,prince,Some tycoon game,i think it was pizza tycoon,and in 1999 got my proper real game "roller coaster tycoon',man the fun i had! ;)

Once i went on a marathon constructing two theme parks(playing throughout night).

Mom was so shocked when she found out i had never gone to sleep. :p

And there was this one time i somehow crashed the computer,In need of more hard disk space,i deleted some important stuff i guess :ashamed:

The hilarious part is that the computer guy comes home and says "this computer needs help"and stares around the computer.

I was so scared at that point,and an OS reinstall fixed it,i was over the moon literally.

It was sold off in 2003,I was still sad that it was sold,I liked it a lot.Then we got a spanking new Pentium 4,now that's another story :eek:hyeah:

lida said:
I remember the game but dont remember the name... There are some really low end games like that also but cant recollect the name :frusty:
The game was Skyroads (the folder on my comp was just named Sky) as mentioned by carbonn

boogeyman said:
The game was Skyroads (the folder on my comp was just named Sky) as mentioned by carbonn
yep skyroads was a game that i used to play a lot.
there were a few other games that we used to play but i dont remember the names. :(

harshit143 said:
My First PC :

2q8cztc.jpg

Config :

Intel P3 1.1GHz

128MB SDRam

20GB Hard Drive

A CD reader whose bay needs fingering inorder to open it.

120W PSU

I used to play Dave,Wolf 3D,Speedkar,I-hopper, and some other games on it and it was a complete showoff for me infront of my friends because at that time i was in class 3 or 4 (year 2000) and there was hardly anyone who own a PC.

My dad spent 50k on it for accounting purpose and hired an accountant who was absolutely n00b and I and my brother regard him as techno at that time.

And, illegally shutdown of PC was like a dooms-minute for us because that accountant fellow told us that it will 100% destroy the PC..

Today, i own my 3rd PC, second was P4 bot in 2006 and my current PC is soo powrful that if i connect 40 of my first PC's together then also it wont be able to compete the single unit.........
This one is really similar to my 1st PC as well. I remember I had clipped the wire to the internal speaker using a nailcutter coz the beep used to wake up my mom in the adjoining room :p

AND I found my first HDD lying around.

cdee2fead0ecaf8e840058385b59d80b.jpg

I'm sooo happy I found it. It was my most precious thing in the world. Once I learned that you can open up someone else's PC and connect your HDD on the CDROM port to share data, I never left home without it :D

Rockfella said:
I pay Rs. 396 to airtel for a 512 kbps connection (NO FUP) in gurgaon where airtel is more expensive than delhi and will do so forever.
mind sharing the trick which forced Airtel CC in giving this plan ? :|

ujjwal said:
It saddens me that this machine is in some box somewhere I don't recall, and I can't bring it out to show off. Now, I have a job, a computer that can run Crysis and a large Steam library that I never use. I would give anything to have those days back.
Whole heartedly agree. Ever since 2007 I have never felt anything like the good old days, miss the old P3 overclocking, AXP modding and overclocking days :(

My contribution to the thread. A chindi watercooling system i built which landed me in a 2 page article in Digit Magazine, Jan 2006 :)

http://www.techenclave.com/overclocking-n-modding/sunny-in-digit-64758.html

Sigh...just saw the old threads dating back to 2005. Makes me sad :(

Rockfella said:
I pay Rs. 396 to airtel for a 512 kbps connection (NO FUP) in gurgaon where airtel is more expensive than delhi and will do so forever.

Some of my friends using relience 3g for free using some modded apps.

I seriously miss the days when we knew nothin about comps and would protect it like it is GOLD :D... Now all u get to hear about comps is my GPU is faster/ more fps in games/ gtx580sli is better than HD6990/ did u check out this game the graphics are really awesome :(

I am not against the new games but the concentration of making them look as real as they can be is pullin out the fun from the games...

The thing is miss most of my old comp is the NFS III (SPEED i think) CD that was gifted to me on my bday... I still have it somewhere but sadly cannot play it anymore or neither can i locate it...

I still love playing NFS2 SE. It had really good graphics for that time and the cheats were good. Play as a box, dinosaur and what not. Remember that super car which one got after punching some cheat.

Always got lost in Wolf 3D and thought that why dont we have a top level view of the entire map :p

Do u remember the last level in WOLF3d with the giant thingy and that special covered door with medecine packs and machine guns (if u did not already have it with the cheat) with tons of ammo... That was epic man...

At one time, I played that level 50 times in one night just so nxt day i could bragg tht i completed the game 50 times in one night :p...

The adrenaline rush in that game was awesome...

Does anyone still have that game and prince 1????

^^Never reached that far. Either those guards or that dog used to kill me :(

Will install the game again, put cheats and play just for phun :D

Back