User Review The best (budget) USB DAC AMP - Apple USB C to 3.5mm

Hi all,
This might seem a bit of a strange review but this has been one of the most surprising purchases for me. I had been searching for USB based DAC AMP from about 2 months, and came to know about Apple's type c to 3.5 dongle about 2 weeks ago (made for the newer iPad Pros which don't have a 3.5mm jack for some reason only God knows), and in one word I would review it as: fantabulous!

First things first, the primary reason tjic caught my eye was because it was the cheapest USB DAC AMP on Amazon from a known brand (to me) at INR 900. I did a bit of research and lo, it's actually really good. Other reviewers online, who've done a far better review on the technical aspects of it than I ever will be able to, have found that the noise floor and signal to noise ratio of this little thing is comparable to stuff which costs more than 100USD! I even saw one review (for the A2155 version specifically which is sold here in India) that it actually had db higher Snr than even the Chord Mojo, a DAC AMP which retails for 35k on headphonezone!

Coming to my usage and experience, I will be using these primarily with my triple driver IEMs - Signature Acoustics Raven. Before coming to how theey sound through the dongle, a bit of background - I like listening to a slighly V shape sound quality, and value detail. Before getting this dac amp, I was listening to music via my laptop's (Acer Nitro 7 i7 9750H GTX 1650) internal audio header via MusicBee (sometimes via Dolby), and through my phone (Vivo V15 Pro) using JetAudio+ and heavy use of equalisers. I listen to 320kbps MP3 (with the occasional flac/wav thrown in) and YouTube for recommendations.

My benchmark for sound quality was the detailed preset through Dolby Atmos' Gaming preset, and those were previously the best my IEMs had ever sounded. The stock audio quality from my laptop was very muffled with muddy bass and no Soundstage.
With Atmos, I experienced (relatively) wide Soundstage in IEMs for the first time, and started noticing much mkre details. But bass was still mostly muddy. I was willing to accept this compromise, and did so for the past 8 months or so.

Now, I'm not exaggerating when I say this, but this 900INR dongle blows even Atmos's sound quality away. Superb clarity, wide Soundstage, much tighter and very well controlled bass, comfortable yet very smooth highs and all that. Music had never sounded so good before.

As a bonus, even the mic sounds better through these dongle, and the one button remote on my IEMs actually works via these on Windows which wasn't the case before.

So in a nutshell, to all beginner and budget audiophiles (and actually even those higher up in the game) , I would absolutely recommend these. The best QoL improvement I've experienced yet in my audio journey.

The only thing that is a hit concerning is the build quality, but since I'm still using my stock iPad cable from 2016 hopefully this will last at least as long as that. You do need to be a bit careful handling it since the 3.5jack is quite tight and if you aren't careful, you might easily break the thin wire.

PS: doesn't really work that well with Androids, or at least on a Xiaomi Mi A1, Samsung S8+, Poco X3. Volume is really low and I don't think the dongle's DAC is being utilised since there's no difference in SQ for Android phones.
Also my reference point for reviews of this dongle while researching was chiefly the below website:

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_022128.jpg
    IMG_20210402_022128.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_20210402_022214.jpg
    IMG_20210402_022214.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 786
I think the head-fit and audisoscience reviews linked above are for the A2155 variant. Also even this 0.5vrm version is pretty sufficient for most but very high impedance stuff. I find that I have to keep windows volume at just around 8-12 compared to 20-24 from the laptop 3.5mm jack. Also I'd ordered directly from Apple India store and still got the A2155 version if it matters. I think only the US gets the 1vrm version, rest of the world gets euro spec 0.5vrm version.

anyway coming back to this is there a way to get A2049 here in India ? I have a friend of mine who got from apple store but got A2049 maybe he got lucky or Apple india sells whichever ones they get either from USA o Europe ?

Is there Apple adapter just as good if used with Android phones as well? I want to buy one but too use with an Android phone.

Also where is the official place to buy it from?

anyway coming back to this is there a way to get A2049 here in India ? I have a friend of mine who got from apple store but got A2049 maybe he got lucky or Apple india sells whichever ones they get either from USA o Europe ?
I think mostly down to luck then, since the Apple India store does not specify which exact model number we are buying.

Is there Apple adapter just as good if used with Android phones as well? I want to buy one but too use with an Android phone.

This adapter works well with android phones. However you need USB audio player pro to get the maximum audio quality out of it.

If you can't get it on amazon, you can order from apple site

I personally purchased it from Apple India store (apple.com/in/shop), although it's also available on Amazon as well (but it mostly shows out of stock).

You can use it with Android but you'll be able to make full use of it only with a paid app called "USB Audio Player Pro", otherwise using it without that app will be no better than using onboard audio.

This adapter works well with android phones. However you need USB audio player pro to get the maximum audio quality out of it.

If you can't get it on amazon, you can order from apple site

I personally purchased it from Apple India store (apple.com/in/shop), although it's also available on Amazon as well (but it mostly shows out of stock).

You can use it with Android but you'll be able to make full use of it only with a paid app called "USB Audio Player Pro", otherwise using it without that app will be no better than using onboard audio.

Thank you so much for the details. If I may ask what does that app do? I checked it in the play stairs and it costs 400Rs that’s a little too expensive.

I have bought Poweramp wood that app be able to do the same.

Also how does it work if I use Spotify , will it not get that benefit since I am not using that usb audio app while using Spotify.

Apple adapter works fine on android but you can also use Samsung Adapter which has very good reviews too and measures close to apple one from what I remember ( apple one is still bit better but not too much in it ).

Thank you so much for the details. If I may ask what does that app do? I checked it in the play stairs and it costs 400Rs that’s a little too expensive.

I have bought Poweramp wood that app be able to do the same.

Also how does it work if I use Spotify , will it not get that benefit since I am not using that usb audio app while using Spotify.

Android has its own mixer and uses oboard chip , so to by pass that and use dac inside the dongle directly you need a player capable of doing it both neutron and Uapp can do it but i remember reading poweramp also added that feature but i dont own it so cant check.

Regarding spotify , with uapp I can open uapp in backgroung which bypasses the mixer and keep it running in backgroung which then gives every audio app ( including spotify ) ability to use external dac.
I think mostly down to luck then, since the Apple India store does not specify which exact model number we are buying.
yeah it seems so , I am wondering If I can go to the apple store and ask if they have the US variant lol

Last edited:
Regarding spotify , with uapp I can open uapp in backgroung which bypasses the mixer and keep it running in backgroung which then gives every audio app ( including spotify ) ability to use external dac.
I don't think that the UAPP audio driver is a system wide one. It works only for UAPP not other apps. Can you confirm ?

I don't think that the UAPP audio driver is a system wide one. It works only for UAPP not other apps. Can you confirm ?

I dont own usb c to 3.5mm cable as both my phones have 3.5 mm jack but I for sure remember setting up apple cable on my friends android and it had low volume until we changed hardware volume of the dongle using uapp which made it louder not just in uapp but also louder in spotify so I assume it also makes the use of the dac on apple dongle as well.

Its not permanent or system wide in the sense if you remove the dongle / adapter you have to redo the process again . You can always download uapp trial and try this yourself before buying to confirm.

Last edited:
You are correct, it is not a system wide driver; but UAPP can play Tidal and Qobuz from within the app so that it doesn't get crushed by the android driver.

Last edited:
You are correct, it is not a system wide driver; but UAPP can play Spotify, Tidal and YT Music (not sure about Qobuz) from within the app so that it doesn't get crushed by the android driver.
You can add Tidal and Qobuz as streaming services within UAPP. I don't see YT music and Spotify.

Many enthusiastic users wanted Spotify to collab with UAPP but being Giant the former refuses to show any interest either.

All these streaming apps can only be enjoyed without any extra effort easily by certain LG phones or the Andriod DAPs....Owners of the former can rejoice now but their Days are limited due to the existence of the Company and for Andriod DAP - It is the most efficient way to waste your hard-earned money due to bulging battery 2-3 years depending on usage.....which just adds up to the E-Waste.

Wish android comes without this sound barrier.....like iOS.

So with all the recommendations here I got the Apple adapter, it literally arrived in one day flat thanks to Apple store but paid MRP for it unfortunately.

Anyways I got it working with my Android phone with Poweramp by changing some settings and now I get the output through the DAC instead of the built in one. Thankfully did not have to buy another app for it.

The only thing now is that the volume seems strange. I listen to music on a very low volume (point 2 or 3) but with the Apple DAC I have to keep the volume at mid level (6-7) will take some time getting used to.

Also the music output on the same IEM seems a bit different with the DAC. Will comment on it when I spend some time with it.

Also Spotify does not seem to use the Apple DAC.

Anyways I got it working with my Android phone with Poweramp by changing some settings and now I get the output through the DAC instead of the built in one. Thankfully did not have to buy another app for it.

The only thing now is that the volume seems strange. I listen to music on a very low volume (point 2 or 3) but with the Apple DAC I have to keep the volume at mid level (6-7) will take some time getting used to
Are you sure output is actually the dongle then? I ask this because using the same earphones/headphones, I got much lower volume on my phone compared to using it on desktop. I suspect that is because ultimately the dac is still getting processed audio from Android, as the output was much quieter - I had to use level 7-8 for dongle compared to 3-4 for phone's internal jack.

If you use it with a computer, see how much volume is required for a pair of headphones, then see if the proportion of volume required by using the dongle in your Android for the same pair of headphones is the same. If not, then your dongle is not bypassing the android audio engine.

Last edited:
Anyways I got it working with my Android phone with Poweramp by changing some settings and now I get the output through the DAC instead of the built in one
I tried all options within Poweramp and it never sounded as good or loud as with USB audio player pro. There is literally night and day difference.

Are you sure output is actually the dongle then? I ask this because using the same earphones/headphones, I got much lower volume on my phone compared to using it on desktop. I suspect that is because ultimately the dac is still getting processed audio from Android, as the output was much quieter - I had to use level 7-8 for dongle compared to 3-4 for phone's internal jack.

If you use it with a computer, see how much volume is required for a pair of headphones, then see if the proportion of volume required by using the dongle in your Android for the same pair of headphones is the same. If not, then your dongle is not bypassing the android audio engine.

That’s a great idea, let me check it like that. The only problem is my PC does not have usb c. Will this experiment work on a MacBook which has a usb c port? Or does Macbook handle audio differently.

I tried all options within Poweramp and it never sounded as good or loud as with USB audio player pro. There is literally night and day difference.

Oh damn, the problem is USB audio player does not even have a demo app. It’s straight up 400 bucks. Anyway I can test the app before buying?

Oh damn, the problem is USB audio player does not even have a demo app. It’s straight up 400 bucks. Anyway I can test the app before buying?
you can get a refund if you apply for it within an hour of installing, I think. check the T&C of play store once.

I got it at 100rs during some sale
Will this experiment work on a MacBook which has a usb c port?
yes it will work. I'm using an USB A to C adapter for the dongle on my PC

That’s a great idea, let me check it like that. The only problem is my PC does not have usb c. Will this experiment work on a MacBook which has a usb c port? Or does Macbook handle audio differently.
Yup, the same should work on a Mac as well but I can't confirm since I personally don't own one. In any case, would be worth testing and seeing for yourself. The dongle is definitely not "quiet" since it has adequate power to power almost any IEM in the market (barring the crazies which cost upwards of 50k or other crazy amount :p)

My 16ohm IEMs required barely 20% volume while using them on my windows laptop and iPad, but had to pump it up to 60+% on my android because it was still using the android audio engine and as a result sound quality as well as volume was noticeably lowern (since I assume the dongle wasn't getting powered properly or sth)
Can somebody pls the post link for the recommended apple USB C adapter

Last edited:
Back