The BlackBerry PlayBook Thread

#thirumalkumaran : It doesn't play MKVs although some members at Crackberry have reported to play. I have tried playing MKV files on two different PBs but none could play. Check the help docs for the supported file formats. It can play almost all the AVIs and MP4 files. 720p files can be played without any stuttering, can't say about 1080p files. When my PB was new, I tested the battery life by playing back to back video files and it clocked a shade under 8 hours of run time. If you keep the WiFi off, then the battery lasts for a longer time.

Quick question to you guys...has the price of the Playbook gone up recently after the 'fire sale'? Any idea what the cheapest price for the 16GB and 32GB models was?

And would it be worth buying a Playbook now? Ebay has it for ~13k for the 16GB model, so would that be a good deal? Or should I wait for the new Playbook/other tablets? (Not HCL/Reliance crap)

Quick question to you guys...has the price of the Playbook gone up recently after the 'fire sale'? Any idea what the cheapest price for the 16GB and 32GB models was?

And would it be worth buying a Playbook now? Ebay has it for ~13k for the 16GB model, so would that be a good deal? Or should I wait for the new Playbook/other tablets? (Not HCL/Reliance crap)

There is no specific news on whether RIM will launch a 4G LTE version of the playbook

Those are just rumour....13K is the cheapeast you will find for a 16GB Model

Then again,it all depends on your usage and need...why do u need a tablet in the first place??

No point in going with the crowd when your destination is not the same...
indifferent14.gif

I have a playbook because it was a gift,i never really needed a tablet

You can try out the new Funbook for 6.5k if Android suits you,its the most VFM tab out there in my opinion

But no tablet can match the browsing experience a playbook can give you,its love at first sight NOT even an iPad forget the android tabs
ohyeah.gif

I think the LTE version was confirmed couple of weeks ago. But I dont see the price dropping for this any further. I am sure they are selling at break even prices right now.

And gotta agree, after using a lot of Tablets, PlayBook wins hands down when it comes to browser experience. 7 inch screen is the only disadvantage (or advantage, depending on how you look at it. I like this form factor since its more portable and easier to handle) since it can get quite cramped.

I think the LTE version was confirmed couple of weeks ago. But I dont see the price dropping for this any further. I am sure they are selling at break even prices right now.

And gotta agree, after using a lot of Tablets, PlayBook wins hands down when it comes to browser experience. 7 inch screen is the only disadvantage (or advantage, depending on how you look at it. I like this form factor since its more portable and easier to handle) since it can get quite cramped.

Oops !! You are right RIM does confirm a Playbook 4G LTE version to be launched by the end of this year but you can expect it to arrive in Q1 2013

Though intially in 2011 the new PB update was cancelled out but lets hope the new 4G version would bring back the glory that the playbook really deserves....And we Playbook owners could get an exchange
<

Nope, thats pretty much it. Use that DIY and your all set to get the apps. Get the BAR files from the website itself.

So no probs,with loading andriod apps, howevr in the same DIY thread many people complained about not getting the apps ?

BAR files from which website ? - crackberry or what ?

Not all android apps work properly. You will have search in CrackBerry. It has a subforum with plenty of Android APK to BAR conversion threads. Head out and look for yourself. Its pretty damn easy.

Most of the common android apps or lets say,most of the useful apps(according to RIM
indifferent14.gif
) are already on the Appworld

Check out app world as well or else you do have the BAR file sideload option....

A noob question : Do the 2.0 version have skype support ? I am thinking to get a playbook for my parents for video chatting.

A noob question : Do the 2.0 version have skype support ? I am thinking to get a playbook for my parents for video chatting.

No and it won't come any time soon. But if you are purchasing 2 PBs, one for yourself, another for your parents then video chatting is a breeze with the stock video chat app, which connects two PBs.

I'm planning to get the Tablet this weekend had certain queries , my primary purpose would be watching some movies over wifi and web Browsing
  • I see mkv is supported in PB but does it plays them perfectly over wifi ? I also see only simple profile mkv is supported and i guess most of stuff encoded is in advanced profile
  • How good is battery life in watching movies/surfing ? Does it heats up quickly
  • I guess the ROM dump is still not available so a Custom ROM is still not out in that case how good is the Stock OS ?
  • I planning to get 16Gb model since i dont plan to keep any movies and all in PB does size matter anyways
  • I saw a link where some Android Apps were able to install Android does most apps work ?
  • Is rooting worth ? I mean...

I'm planning to get the Tablet this weekend had certain queries , my primary purpose would be watching some movies over wifi and web Browsing
  • I see mkv is supported in PB but does it plays them perfectly over wifi ? I also see only simple profile mkv is supported and i guess most of stuff encoded is in advanced profile
  • How good is battery life in watching movies/surfing ? Does it heats up quickly
  • I guess the ROM dump is still not available so a Custom ROM is still not out in that case how good is the Stock OS ?
  • I planning to get 16Gb model since i dont plan to keep any movies and all in PB does size matter anyways
  • I saw a link where some Android Apps were able to install Android does most apps work ?
  • Is rooting worth ? I mean...

• I see mkv is supported in PB but does it plays them perfectly over wifi ? I also see only simple profile mkv is supported and i guess most of stuff encoded is in advanced profile Plays almost everything I have thrown at it. Except flv, but there are players in the appworld for them.
  • How good is battery life in watching movies/surfing ? Does it heats up quickly Heats up a bit while gaming, movies too after a while. Nothing too much throgh. Lasts about 5 to 7 hours.
  • I guess the ROM dump is still not available so a Custom ROM is still not out in that case how good is the Stock OS ? stock OS is the best OS experience I have had and trust me I am a picky guy and a heavy user and I have used all the available OS's
  • I planning to get 16Gb model since i dont plan to keep any movies and all in PB does size matter anyways Might want to get 32 but this is up to. I am living with a 16 gig and I am pretty happy with it.
  • I saw a link where some Android Apps were able to install Android does most apps work ? Most of the apps work. Some might not. But unless u like to collects Apps, you will be happy.
  • Is rooting worth ? I mean... Rooting not available on OS 2.0 and above. Would be worth it only for USB OTG. But I guess BB is going to intro the feature in the near future anyway.

Also are these available in Chroma ?

DOnt think so. U need to get them blackberry world or soemthing. Availabe all over the damn country. Call them before hand though. A lot of them have run out of stock on the 16 GB model

Btw, the awesome browser kinda negates the lack of some of the niche apps. Browser can handle anything and apart from the browser on windows, I have never seen anything better.

Back