The Dark Knight Rises

I think this is the vid...

Video description says "Warning, Contains strong language. This is Christian Bale on the set of Terminator Salvation ranting and raving about the director of photography interfering with him during a take." Its not from TDKR set i guess, not that it matters.

i don't understand why people are saying this movie was a satisfying ending to the trilogy. the last 15 mins or so where a chaotic mess, the twist made bane look stupid and the ending was too fairytale considering the rest of the series.

How do i even put spoiler tag ?

You don't see the option in the quick-reply. Only present in the Advanced Reply section.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

i don't understand why people are saying this movie was a satisfying ending to the trilogy. the last 15 mins or so where a chaotic mess, the twist made bane look stupid and the ending was too fairytale considering the rest of the series.

Exactly. +1

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

And the Michael Bay remark.. you say sorry about that.. :D

In your dreams! :p

Edit your post and include spoiler tags.

I rated this a 5/10 (Average) & here's why-

I quite liked the idea of a revolution/social uprising in Gotham, of Bane making Gotham tear itself apart, of Bane being portrayed as a terrorist. However, this was just hinted at in the movie. The oppressed class wasn't ever really seen. I wasn't sure who the people tearing up homes, & pulling people out of them were. Were they the oppressed? Or were they the released prisoners trying to exact revenge? So also, those present at the 'People's Court'.
Also, the big revelation to the people of who Harvey Dent really was, was downplayed.
Once Bane had his hands on a nuclear device, it became confusing to me what his motivation was. Did he want to nuke Gotham, or bring about an uprising, or simply make Batman suffer? Ok, so he wanted the nuke in order to take control of the government & lead an uprising. But why then did he make the bomb unstable, making sure it will blow up 5-6 months down the line? Wouldn't it have been easier to total Gotham at the earliest? Please enlighten me if there's a simple explanation to this which I've just overlooked because of my stupidity.

I liked the performances by all the actors, especially Michael Caine. Both Michael Caine & Morgan Freeman make acting seem effortless. I also liked Anne H. though she had a limited scope. Tom Hardy too has done very well for a part where he has had to rely on his eyes & body language, more than anything, to play a menacing character.

I liked Bane overall. He is cold, calculating & a powerhouse. He is in control all the way, & confident. But this is only until it is revealed that he is a softie at heart, responsible for saving a child because innocence should not be raised in hell. & his main motivation is love for Talia. & he's nothing but a thug taking orders from someone. & he's not that tough really, because he's not the one that climbed out of the pit. In the end, Bane from the comics is a lot interesting than the one in this movie. & some more info about that mask would've helped.
I'd have liked to have seen Selina's character fleshed out a lot more. For instance, I found it interesting that her character is looking forward to the 'coming storm' & the removal of the disparity between the classes, but when it does come, she doesn't quite like it.
Talia stabbing Batman should have been an 'Et tu Brutus?' moment but it fails because their relationship is hardly given much screen time. The one time that they have sex seems to be more of a one night stand than anything more. Also, her motivation is unclear. She initially hates her father but once he is killed, takes on his agenda with a vengeance.
Batman being so trusting of Selina on more than one occasion is a bit of a stretch. He seems to know there's a lot of good in her & I don't quite get where he gathered all that from.
Also the fact that he gets closure on the deaths which have haunted him his whole life & led to him to don the cape is a bit out of character to me. To just leave the city he is prepared to die for in the hands of a rookie he's just met a few times is not convincing. Yet, I can accept this because a lot of the fans would be happy to see Bruce Wayne move on in life & so I'll admit this is more of a pet peeve.

There's also quite a few occasions requiring suspension of disbelief, glitches in the matrix, if you will. & by that I mean the 'loopholes' such as Batman's quick recovery in prison aided by a person who is not a doctor, Batman not breaking his back again on the failed attempts, Bane being stupid enough to not keep someone at the prison to inform him should Batman escape, the faster than DHL shipping time from West Africa to Gotham without passport, money etc., the umpteen times when Batman happens to be there at the right place & time just before someone will die, the clean shaven police force with recently washed uniforms despite being trapped for months, the Sun setting a lot quicker in Gotham than anywhere else (the stock exchange heist)......... One can go on.
I know people will call me out for nit-picking. But in my defense, when you realize these glitches while watching the film, it takes away from the movie. & there's just too many of these for my liking.

Another peeve I have is the way things are spelt out by the characters. For instance, Batman asks Talia 'Why?' & she goes into a long winded explanation! I'd rather the 'Greatest Detective' figure things out!
I also didn't like how the doctor at the prison de-mystifies things for Batman, instead of him drawing on inner strength on his own. I would have liked it to be more in the form of a monologue/hallucinations/nightmares between Liam Neeson, Bruce's parents, Alfred, Rachel, Joker, Dent etc. to convey to the audience that fear is necessary.

I quite liked the score, especially the Bane chants & the ones at the prison. It was necessarily similar to the previous two movies but different enough for me with those chants. What I didn't like though was that the score seemed to be playing throughout, with hardly any silent moments. I got that feeling of the whole 'build-up to something grand'. But it was peppered throughout. I distinctly remember feeling a bit strange when the 'build-up' music played while Gary Oldman was trying to convince Modine to fight, instead of hiding.

Overall, I felt the movie was too long. I was shifting in my seat a lot & not really engrossed. At the interval, I remember the same feeling I had with 'The Sixth Sense'. I'd wondered then what the big deal was & why was everyone going gaga over it. But the ending changed that whole movie for me. I can't say the same about TDKR though.

This movie could have been so much more imo. The half-hearted attempt at showing a revolution & then abandoning it in favour of a ticking time bomb, putting in too many characters without thoroughly fleshing them out despite the long runtime, were the major problems I had with the story.

PS: Either Nolan's slacking or the studio had more of a say, imho. I get this feeling because of the attempt at combining drama & action. The movie falls somewhere in between & falls flat imo. While TDK was a drama (albeit a Batman drama) & my feeling is Nolan would've wanted it that way, the studio probably wanted something more like the Avengers, with plenty of action, given that this is the finale. I also suspect the happy ending is the studio execs talking. Nolan, at the very least, would've cut the movie with Alfred sitting at the cafe. Though he'd probably have ended it with Batman dead, or with Lucius Fox discovering that the auto-pilot was fixed.
Also, the way the doctor spelt out that fear is necessary etc. (discussed above), seems un-Nolanlike.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

@mods: Can't 2 separate spoiler tags exist within the same post? The tags shown are 2 when I try but the content of only the 1st one is displayed.

SPOILER ALERT! WARNING: DO NOT READ REMAINING CONTENT OF THIS POST - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS THOUGH NOT TAGGED AS SUCH-

It's because of the fairy-tale ending, I suspect. Bruce moving on with his life is a feel-good factor, :).

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

.......Even in the comics, he has been healed by paranormal means by a Shondra Kinsolving - .....

Yes, it is irritating when people say that the 'loopholes' in the movie are ok because a movie is based on a comic. Well, the comic is a lot more believable than this 'plot device'. IINM, Bruce Wayne is paralyzed & has to use a wheelchair. He then trains another Batman to take on Bane! It takes a while for Bruce Wayne to get back on his feet.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Sure, it can be India, it can be South America.. when did I say that it mattered? I was only talking about the prison - which didn't seem as scary as it was told in the story earlier. You have helpful inmates, a way to escape if you were strong enough and did timely push-ups and sit-ups and also a body-builder who can give you pro tips if you need them.

I read somewhere that Alfred mentions that the prison is in West Africa. To me, the distance does matter.

The prison inmates are probably Bane's enemies & hence helpful. I don't think it's a prison anymore, i.e. once the LoS visited.

I'm sure if the inmates were Indian, they'd have made a human pyramid & the shortest, lightest chap would have at least escaped! (read Dahi Handi/ Gokul Ashtami) :p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question. How many Bats [the flying machine, that is] does Wayne have?

@kidrow you've exactly said what i wanted to convey and quite a lot more. Good post.
Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing which I totally agree with is the way everything was explained again and again by the characters. Is this the same Nolan who left more or less everything in the dark so the audience could discuss and have their own movie experience. The way everything was explained again and again reminded me of CID :|
Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Nolan didn't want to actually make anymore Batman movie. WB studios insisted them to bring a satisfactory closure to the series.

Shucks! It might have been awesome if DiCaprio was cast as The Riddler! Or maybe even Johnny Depp? :p

I wish Penguin made his appearance as well. That would be overkill perhaps. :ashamed:
A 5 hr long movie, released third in the series but perhaps as "TDKR -1 &2". This something which seems to happening for every other "end of series" movie. Twilight/Harry Potter/ Even The Hobbit (with Peter Jackson saying he will make a third movie - from God knows what material).

The prison - Alfred mentions West Africa when he refers to Bane helping Dagget with some operation. He specifically says that the prison is in an ancient part of the world - does not specify India

As for the prison being considered a hell on earth - yes, it does show the inmates at the time Bane and Talia are imprisoned as unruly and miserable. But when Bruce is imprisoned, it should be at least 20 yrs later (?). And there is every possibility that it is also referred as hell because it offers people hope of escaping with an open ceiling and way to climb as well but the difficulty makes one despair - so hope and despair put together makes it considered as hell (my reading)

Bane's method in starting a revolution but at the same time letting the bomb tick to me presents the same - hope and despair.

And there could also be a simple reason why Nolan may have chosen the softer approach - lot of people who saw the Dark Knight despite praising it said it was a bit too dark! Heard this comment from more than one fan of the comics. It could also be because Nolan just wanted this out of the way :p

A 5 hr long movie, released third in the series but perhaps as "TDKR -1 &2". This something which seems to happening for every other "end of series" movie. Twilight/Harry Potter/ Even The Hobbit (with Peter Jackson saying he will make a third movie - from God knows what material).

The Hobbit is different. Its not a sequel and I think the stories will be even better than the LOTR series probably with less war/action.

The Hobbit is different. Its not a sequel and I think the stories will be even better than the LOTR series probably with less war/action.
Arey dude I know that. Thats why I said "The Hobbit" not "LOTR series". The Hobbit was supposedly one movie but now its been broken down to two. To top it off Peter Jackson wants to make another movie from the same franchise, god knows based on what.

loads of misc books published based on tolkein's writings, hardly any of which are worth reading... maybe he'll use one of those as sources.

This movie would have come out the same even if Michael Bay directed it. Sorry, that's what I felt.

I am not sure about that. I saw one of Michael Bay's older movies - 'The Rock' and I realized something Shia LaBeouf is annoying but he wasn't screaming randomly to emphasize something but it was the director. Here is a quote from the movie where Cage randomly yells (not exactly yell but raises his voice and says) - "What do you say we cut the chit-chat, a-hole?".

See the movie and then see the Transformers series and you will realize both sets only contain explosions, cheesy dialogues, horrible acting and then some more explosions.

I can actually place a bet that Michael Bay had made this movie then in the scene where police are chasing the Batman and he takes a left and disappears in the alley and the 2 police cars nearly collide, in Bay's version the 2 cars would collide explode then other cars would run into them and they too would explode.

Considering this was Nolan's last movie I just hope the series isn't given to someone like Michael Bay or Joel Schumacher.

Is Miranda's character from the movie Poison Ivy?

I am sorry I haven't read much of Batman comics but have watch the animated series and Poison Ivy's character was always pushing for a better greener world. Out here she had a similar agenda at the start of the movie.

So could someone tell me who is Miranda except the fact that she is Ra Al Ghul's daughter?

Is Miranda's character from the movie Poison Ivy?

I am sorry I haven't read much of Batman comics but have watch the animated series and Poison Ivy's character was always pushing for a better greener world. Out here she had a similar agenda at the start of the movie.

So could someone tell me who is Miranda except the fact that she is Ra Al Ghul's daughter?

She's Talia Al-Ghul who has a love-hate relationship with Batman in the comics and iirc, is the mother of Bruce's son

@Freaky

I couldn't have been more wrong. I just assumed that they had changed Ivy's past to suit the story of the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back