The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So finally i have my iPod Touch in my hands. Did not want to open a separate thread for my queries so asking in this iPhone thread only.

I plugged in the iPod to my laptop and it asked me whether i want to setup as a new iPod or restore backup from my iPhone. Now on this particular laptop, i am already syncing my iPhone. So here if i do a "Setup as new iPod", i won't loose anything related to my iPhone's sync right ? Or it will be overwritten ?

#Metalspree thanks

Btw i noticed that there is stark difference between the display of the iPod Touch 4th Gen and the iPhone 4. Is this expected ?

I don't know how to explain but i feel that the colour and contrast on the iPhone are better than that on the iPod.

Even in viewing angles, the iPhone screen seen sideways had excellent view while for the iPod touch it seems washed out (don't know the term).

Is this expected ? How do i confirm if i have not got a piece with issue ?

Also something wierd was that when i powered up my iPod for the first time yesterday, after it came, the default "Slide to Unlock" was in chinese and on doing that the defult country selected was South Korea
<

Not sure how.

Btw the iPod was bought from Amazon.com (sold and shipped by Amazon , not third party).

Never owned an idevice (before the iPhone and now this iPod) so curious.

iPhone and iPod screens are not the same, thus the difference. (Lack of IPS panel)

If it was box packed then there is not much to worry about. Amazon might have sourced the piece from South Korea (wonder why)

Should talk to apple and confirm warranty details though.

#Metalspree thanks

Btw i noticed that there is stark difference between the display of the iPod Touch 4th Gen and the iPhone 4. Is this expected ?

I don't know how to explain but i feel that the colour and contrast on the iPhone are better than that on the iPod.

Even in viewing angles, the iPhone screen seen sideways had excellent view while for the iPod touch it seems washed out (don't know the term).

Is this expected ? How do i confirm if i have not got a piece with issue ?

Also something wierd was that when i powered up my iPod for the first time yesterday, after it came, the default "Slide to Unlock" was in chinese and on doing that the defult country selected was South Korea
<

Not sure how.

Btw the iPod was bought from Amazon.com (sold and shipped by Amazon , not third party).

Never owned an idevice (before the iPhone and now this iPod) so curious.

iphone and ipod touch displays are not the same but apple marketing team has ensured that both the displays have the same retina display moniker: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/ipod-touch-review-2010/

And the country of import doesnt matter, ipod touch comes with international warranty
<

iPhone and iPod screens are not the same, thus the difference. (Lack of IPS panel)

If it was box packed then there is not much to worry about. Amazon might have sourced the piece from South Korea (wonder why)

Should talk to apple and confirm warranty details though.

Yes it was properly box packed and i trust more because it was bought from amazon.

Now how do i check warranty ?

Any links ?

Do i just put serial# and it should show me the warranty ?

Btw the iPod touch has iOS 5.0.1

#raksrules : the appearance of chinese text during initial activation is normal as most of the ipods and iphones come from Hong Kong. My phone bought from Australia Apple store had chinese text at startup:)

regarding the screen, do get it checked as it supposed to be the same technically (can't say as I never used the new ipod touch)

#raksrules : the appearance of chinese text during initial activation is normal as most of the ipods and iphones come from Hong Kong. My phone bought from Australia Apple store had chinese text at startup:)

regarding the screen, do get it checked as it supposed to be the same technically (can't say as I never used the new ipod touch)

There is no problem as such. Just that compared to iPhone 4, the screen looks different (and worse).

Lets see. May be i shall try posting pictures of iPhone 4 and iPod Touch side by side and from different angles and let you all decide.

Guys i am planning on buying a iphone 4. currently using android and would like to if the ios after hacking, is as customisable as android. also do the customisations affect the speed of the phone? Also i love big screen phones, so will the iphone's screen satisfy the lack of size with its retina display?

Have never used a iPhone but have owned a ipod touch quite a long time now. so please also suggest the things to look at while buying a second hand iphone. also kindly let me know, how do i differentiate a iphone 3g from a 3gs?

Guys I have got a new Iphone 4S 16 GB. I am not able to activate Facetime or iMessage on it and no matter what the status keeps saying "waiting for activation" and then later "activation unsuccesful". I am on a postpaid IDEA connection. I have tried doing it both on GPRS and Wifi but it doesn't seem to work. Any solution?

Try activating it on WiFi. If its factory unlocked then it should work without probs. If its gevey unlocked then you need to do some serious tweaking.

Secondly some of the recent popular Jailbreak Tweaks. Some are must haves some are just for productivity rest are for fun.

Must-Haves:

Zephyer : The reason to jailbreak your iDevice.

IntelliScreenX : A notification centre which iOS 5 couldn't give.

ICaughtU : 10 times more awesome then Find My iPhone. Also the pro works with find my iPhone.

Installous : Need I say something
<

MultiIconMover : For keeping your homescreen icons organized without tearing your hair.

ActionMenu : For more options then just cut/copy/paste

Productivity Tweak:

ActionSlider

iFile

InfiniDock

MxTube

Fun Tweaks:

Zepplin : Change your Carrier name to a cool logo.

SleepFx : For cool sleep/wake up animation effects

UnlockFx : For some great unlock effects

Some great repos:

http://repo.insanelyi.com

http://cydia.xsellize.com

http://cydia.hackulo.us

Try activating it on WiFi. If its factory unlocked then it should work without probs. If its gevey unlocked then you need to do some serious tweaking.

It is a sealed packed factory unlocked piece purchased in India itself.

Also how is this app for contacts, Mycontactsbackup? It backs up contacts in vcf files and emails them. I was thinking of buying the full version of the same. Any other such apps for contacts backup?

if i am right you can only activate face time if you are on the service providers who sell the iPhones, viz. airtel and aircel. There was a thread regarding the same problem on TE itself. see if you can find it.

It is a sealed packed factory unlocked piece purchased in India itself.

Also how is this app for contacts, Mycontactsbackup? It backs up contacts in vcf files and emails them. I was thinking of buying the full version of the same. Any other such apps for contacts backup?

Dont you sync it to goole. Why do u want to buy a app for that ?

if i am right you can only activate face time if you are on the service providers who sell the iPhones, viz. airtel and aircel. There was a thread regarding the same problem on TE itself. see if you can find it.

Oh. This is stupid but this might be the issue. I am on IDEA. Will try finding that thread.

Dont you sync it to goole. Why do u want to buy a app for that ?

I have a lot of unwanted contacts also in Google. Won't they get synced on my phone too? And this vcf option looks nice.

In google only my contacts are displayed in ur contact list. I would suggest you to remove all unnecessary contacts in the my contacts group.

Rest all contacts are synced as well but they will be available in ur email address book only.

#Mohit service provider has nothing to do with activating facetime. I activated facetime on a BSNL sim.

Make sure wifi is on and your phone number is automatically listed in the about phone. If the phone no is a forced one it will not activate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back