The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: got problems now wit call waiting

Exactly ,, I am facing the same issue. Thought it was the issue with the provider, vodafone. I even called the vodafone customer care and then came to know that they don't have call conferencing for prepaid customers. Is this causing the trouble?.
Anyone else got similar trouble or is it the issue with the phone operator.
abracadabra said:
firmware update 40.
i am facing a problem with the Nokia 5800 XM, I have already activated the call waiting facility on the phone. Though this is active i still CANNOT put the FIRST call on HOLD and then ATTEND the SECOND call.
This was the same case even before the firmware update
Have you people faced the same troubles?
any sols?

I upgraded to 40 as well but not facing the problem with call waiting.

I have a different problem though. I am not able add a specific album of mp3 songs to the music library. Says corrupted when i refresh the library

the only way i listen is to transfer it to a folder and listen using file manager and choosing one by one. Does not have any option to control settings if i do it this way.

Re: All the Nokia 5800XM users and Lovers, Revisit this thread !!!

baccilus said:
Hi guys. I need people here to post which third party softwares are they using on this phone so that I may try them out too. I am just loving this phone. I use:
1. Nimbuzz: I am always connected to gtalk, Yahoo, Skype. I use it all the time in the background
2. Faceboook applications: Really polished app.
3 Nokia Sports tracker: I actually bought a sports pouch so that I can use this application.
4.Youtube application
5 Brightlight application: I can use the flash of my phone as a torch in case of emergency. Really handy.
6. Skype: I have Nimbuzz to but somehow I get better voice quality and less lag on this application developed by skype people themselves. But i never run it in the background. it's a huge battery drainer.
7. Gmail application
8. Opera: c'mon, who can browse internet on his mobile phone without opera. It's a must have for everyone.
9. Google maps: ovi maps are good enough too. But what the heck, it's free and it's pretty good too.

What else great app can i use? Could be free or paid.

Koi kuch batata kyun nahi?

Well..I have been in a dilemma lately, hope you guys can help me.

Im considering buying either a Nokia 5800XM or an Apple iPod touch + keeping my old phone.

My main purpose is Music + wifi. Are these two gadgets comparable? (In terms of music and browsing etc.) What should I go for?

Mephistopheles said:
Im considering buying either a Nokia 5800XM or an Apple iPod touch + keeping my old phone.
My main purpose is Music + wifi. Are these two gadgets comparable? (In terms of music and browsing etc.) What should I go for?

Music+wifi+phone in one device = Nokia 5800 for the win. I personally prefer carrying one device for multiple uses, and 5800 does music and wifi pretty well.

Mephistopheles said:

I had the same confusion before buying my 5800XM. Actually budget curtailed me from going for ipod touch and cell phone combo :( .

If your budget allows you and you don't mind using two separate instruments then go for the itouch - Which is better at browsing + better gaming:eek:hyeah:.

With 5800XM you will get a all in one device - Internet browsing is good, GPS (really useful),Camera is sorta 'OK' and you can install loads of application which are very handy:cool2:

Music quailty haven't really heard that much music on a itouch other then few times listening on my friend's itouch and from that I can say music quality on both of them is comparatively similar.
I maybe wrong maybe right on this so wait for others to give their opinions:)

I wont be playing much games on it, i have a psp for it. My main concern is music quality and having to always carry both. I think, Internet browsing should be good, I reckon? Although not as good as itouch.

Haven't browsed on an iPod touch, but I use the Opera Mini on my 5800 and it is pretty good and also helps keep the download under check. GPS is excellent on the phone. Music quality is on par with the iPod touch. The touch however scores on its responsive user interface. The 5800 has a good touch interface in itself, but the iPod is much better in this department.

^ Yes. The iPod touch has a larger 3.5" screen as compared to the 5800's 3.2". However, the latter supports 16:9 resolution of 640 x 360 whereas the touch has an unconventional 480 x 320.

Also the fact that music can be copied to the 5800 by simple copy paste or drag-drop is a plus to me. Conversion through iTunes in case of the touch is time consuming and an unnecessary step.

Its question hour :)

Is there any way to update softwares, by using net on the pc,with the phone connected?

or do i need to do it over wifi/gprs only?

Depends on what type of software you are trying to install / update.

If it is something Nokia specific, or bundled with the phone, you can use the Nokia PC Suite.

If it is a third party software, you can download the .sis or .sisx files from the web, transfer them to your phone, and then install them on the phone by opening them using the File Manager.

^^ like there is an update to ovi maps (it says 7mb)

i did the india map map via the pc, but i dont know how to update the software itself that way.

Back