The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

sumatrix said:
my fren is facing a weird problem.he updated to the latest firmware and since then the battery backup has reduced a lot.he sends around 100 msgs a day and talks for around half an hour and maybe half an hour of music if time permits .with this usage his battery drains off from full charge to 10% in around 20 hrs.any soln??

keep bluetooth off
turn off haptic feedback
reduce display brightness

deaddevil said:
I wanted to purchase a 5800Xm, but had following doubts.
1) can camera clarity be improved via firmware , since I have heard the camer is very bad for a 3.2 mp
2) also does the screen have a chance to get spoilt or be less responsive over time or with excessive usage?

Answers:
1) You can teach an old dog new tricks but he will still be a dog....cant become human. Matlab no firmare can compensate for the small size of the aperture.

2) I dont think that should be a problem unless you play tictactoe on it with needles and no scratchguard.

you can silence call and snooze alarm clock by turning the phone too (i.e. when the touchscreen is facing upward, turn the phone so that touchscreen faces downward will activate the accelerometer sensor to mute calling ringtone or snooze the ringing alarm clock).

^ Brilliant! Works like a charm. Though I wonder why they didn't mention it clearly that it should be turned upside down on its face.

I still believe they should have put a shake sensor for silencing calls. Have heard there are some apps to achieve that effect on the 5800.

got problems

1) opera broswer: at startup, it does not ask for which connection to use due to which all sites fail to load. Any method to force opera to ask for connection method everytime?

2) nokia music store: can't load the music store. It does not go past the country selector link. It gives the error 'music store: operation not supported'.

Anyone facing similar problems?

Gaurish said:
got problems

1) opera broswer: at startup, it does not ask for which connection to use due to which all sites fail to load. Any method to force opera to ask for connection method everytime?

2) nokia music store: can't load the music store. It does not go past the country selector link. It gives the error 'music store: operation not supported'.

Anyone facing similar problems?

I did when I first bought it. How I changed for the connection type for opera was I went into settings/application mgr/installed apps/select opera mini ( assuming it is the mini u got)-touch options-select suite-settings/ choose access point. Here you got all the options. Hope you find what u're looking for.
To ask for types of connection for every time you open the app( any internet related apps) go to settings/connectivity/destination/ select options and select default connection- here select Always Ask.

Gaurish said:

Recently encountered the same issue.

Go to Settings -> Application Settings -> Installed apps -> Opera -> Options -> Suite settings

Change Network Access and Access Point as required.

Guys...HELP ME PLEASE

I think i screwed the memory card of my roomie's 5800. Here are the sequence of activities

1. I inserted my SIM in his phone to browse internet using opera mini.
2. I downloaded a torrent file from IPT and also accessed TE from it.
3. I then downloaded the Symtorrent client from its website and installed. It said it is not compatible with phone but i still continued the installation.
4. I tried to add the torrent to the symtorrent and it worked fine although it said there are no peers :S
5. So again surfed a bit using opera mini. (Mind you..opera mini is installed on memory card, which means memory card is responding fine till now.)
6. I keep phone to charge and after half an hour my roomie takes it and keeps besides his bed and sleeps. No fiddling with anything of any sort.
7. In morning he says "Memory card access nahi ho raha" :O

I check the file manager and it is showing 2.4GB free where as in the night it was 6.5 GB free.
Also as soon i go to images / videos or try to access the memory card through file manager it gives me the error

Disk Error: Cannot Complete write retry or data will be lost

Only options Stop and Retry are there and when i click stop the message goes and comes again so i need to restart the phone to get rid of it.

Even the installed apps opera mini and symtorrent are not visible any more.

Now i inserted the card in my sansa clip + to be able to connect to computer (dont have nokia data cable) and it shows that 6.5GB is free. Also sansa clip+ shows proper memory.

What is this issue and how do i resolve it ??? :S

^ Take a backup of phone memory and follow these steps:

1. Turn off your phone.

2. Press Red button, Green Button and Camera button simultenously .

3. Start phone while doing step no. 2.

keep us informed about same.

I think i will first try formatting the card with PC and copying back the contents. If that does not work then i will do as Darky suggested.

Anyone else knows the reason of this issue and knows any definite solution please let me know.

Ok so the problem seems to be sorted for now.

I put the 8GB micro SD in my sansa clip+ and first backed up the card contents on computer.
Then formatted the card on PC and copied back the card data and it worked :hap2:
No need to format the phone memory or anything.

Using a CFW for the past couple of days and I must say, the 5800 is looking sweeter than ever. Orange homescreen, 60MB RAM and custom menus on a prehacked ROM is the $hit!

gforce said:
Using a CFW for the past couple of days and I must say, the 5800 is looking sweeter than ever. Orange homescreen, 60MB RAM and custom menus on a prehacked ROM is the $hit!

any links of where to get that from?

tempted to install that update for my 5800, any ideas when its going to be officaly released in India ?

would prefer installing it without voiding my warranty ...

Back