The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

ajab.ghajab said:
The camera is average at best. Whlie it shoots great in bright sunlight, quality degrades as the light decreases.

Yeah the Quality is good in Good Daylight Conditions, but becomes grainier as the light goes dim.

But it takes seriously good video at 30fps and i found it better than N95 in that area.

Great news for all owners running v40 - the phone is now hackable! Follow the super easy instructions out here.
Didn't see this posted anywhere in the thread.

naveen58 said:
the kinetic scrolling doesn't seems to be smooth on my Phone :S
is it me or anyone else is facing the same issue??

needs some practice bro!!
even i felt the same when i got my 5230
now a go to end of my 323 songs list in a single sweep

I want to take my phone to Nokia care center for v40 firmware upgrade. As I've many applications installed, so will they be remain on the phone installed after the upgradation. My apps are installed on the Memory card not on phone memory.

alto said:
I want to take my phone to Nokia care center for v40 firmware upgrade. As I've many applications installed, so will they be remain on the phone installed after the upgradation. My apps are installed on the Memory card not on phone memory.
yes,your apps will be there even after the FW upgrade coz phone memory is flashed during the update & not the removable memory..

naveen58 said:
yes,your apps will be there even after the FW upgrade coz phone memory is flashed during the update & not the removable memory..

I took backup of my settings(i.e. contacts messages etc). So after the upgrade can I restore them in original?

I have a few quries for all 5800XM owners.

1)Is it possible to use tom tom or garmin on this phone?? / Any one here is sucessfully using the same.

2) While using the tom tom or garmin does it use GPS chip for navigation or GPRS

3) Do the nokia maps use the GPS/GPRS??

I am thinking of getting this phone but my main usage is going to be GPS .Did not wanted to create a separate thread just for these queries so bumped here.

TIA

Edit:Which firmware should i be purchasing?? coz i have read there is v30 and v40 which is a better one and doesn't lag ??

Metalspree said:

Let me answer this :

Nope, it doesn't need GPRS (Atleast, not all the time!). But let me tell you this, it does behave in the most weird possible way. It does use Satellite GPS (Assisted-GPS/A-GPS ??), and I guess it doesn't work inside the confines of a building. So, outdoors is where it shows it's charm.

Now, to the weird thing. Sometimes, it doesn't work on satellite always, and looks for a GPRS connection. (Mind you, not Wi-Fi, specifically GPRS).

Sidenote: However, I've had very little luck with making Google Maps work on the 5800. It just refuses to use Satellite/Wi-Fi :S

PS : Just realized that I'm speaking all this having the Navigation Edition in mind, so if you happen to possess the Nokia 5800 XM, I reckon all this is null and void.

Metalspree said:
I have a few quries for all 5800XM owners.

1)Is it possible to use tom tom or garmin on this phone?? / Any one here is sucessfully using the same.

2) While using the tom tom or garmin does it use GPS chip for navigation or GPRS

I am thinking of getting this phone but my main usage is going to be GPS .Did not wanted to create a separate thread just for these queries so bumped here.

TIA

Edit:Which firmware should i be purchasing?? coz i have read there is v30 and v40 which is a better one and doesn't lag ??

1. Do garmin have maps for India? If they do then i think they might have an app for the Nokia 5800. Check their US site for details on availability

2. Google maps and Ovi Maps are quite good. Both are now completely free and provide turn by turn navigation.

3. I've gotten the GPS to work only once without GPRS.

4. You don't have to "purchase" the firmware. It's available for free OTA or for download via PC. I would suggest you install the latest firmware (v40) as it adds kinetic scrolling support and also is more stable(in my opinion) than the previous version.

GPS on the 5800 XM works perfectly well without GPRS/Wi-Fi. An internet link is not mandatory. If you do have GPRS/Wi-Fi, you just get the GPS lock faster.

Metalspree said:

I have seen some not so complete and accurate replies to your questions. So here are the proper replies.

1- Yes it is possible to use Garmin on 5800 and yes they do have India map. It is "Garmin City Navigator India 2009 NT Q4 Map". It is not extensive and I wont recommend it to you.

2-All GPS software use GPS for navigation. No internet usage GPRS for regular map navigation is required. AGPS aka Assisted GPS uses towers provided by your mobile service provider and for this GPRS is used. Use of this is for fixing your current location easily and fast. But the GPRS usage is very minimal. It uses only 5 to 7 KBs at the start of application and then GPRS is not used at all and only GPS is used, which is free. I am using regular GPS navigation for last 6 months and believe me I have never had GPRS usage beyond few KBs.

3-Answer is ditto for this as in 2. If you have enabled A-GPS in your location settings, then Nokia maps use GPRS only at start and then only GPS is used for navigation. GPRS is needed if you use additional services other than only voice navigation, like lonely planet guides, Michelin guides or Event guides, though these services are free, GPRS usage is charged unless you have unlimited data pack.

Recently changed Ovi map for India is very good as far as road navigation is concerned and I used it recently in Tamilnadu with good and correct coverage. For City navigation Ovi map has limited coverage, as only few cities are covered. For India MapMyIndia maps have extensive city coverage and it is available with Sygic software, but it costs Rs. 2500 for life time purchase, while Ovi map is free.

Hope this answers your queries.

Back