The end of Plasma Televisions

So the question is why is plasma losing out...

Well, we will definitely be reducing our focus on plasma, because the market hasn't accepted it.

why did that happen ?

it has lost out because it was only Panasonic that was promoting plasma technology, whereas LED technology was promoted by three industry giants. In [brightly lit] showroom conditions LED TVs appear brighter than plasma panels.

So is plasma inferior ? No

People wrongly assume that brighter is better. However, if you take these TVs home you'll see that a plasma TV is much more soothing to the eyes and the picture quality is distinctly better than an LED display.

better marketing by LED is the reason. Its unclear whether plasma will stop selling elsewhere its just in India that panasonic won't be offering them.

As far as i understood plasma was cheaper to buy but cost more in running than LED. Why plasma should lose out being cheaper isn't clear. Plasma won't work well in brightly rooms. Is this the norm in an indian house ? i don't use daylight temp lights in my house at all because i find it too bright. Just yellow everywhere.

Plasma is better than LCD units any day. The two reasons they are ignored, too much power consumption, and screen burning. All the other things are positive over a LCD unit.
I don't know who watches T.V. in a well lit room! It's weird as hell.

Most of the plasma tvs don't work in bright living rooms because of poor anti glare measures which results in poor contrast compared to lcds(perceived) and they are also not bright enough.
They also consume more power ,so people who have a inverter or a UPS will stay away from it , since its arch rival say a 42" edge led tv can consume lower then a tubelight.
It still has issues like IR and still not 100% Burn In proof.

On the other hand it really good in dark living rooms due to their excellent black levels,for the most part better motion resolution and more screen size for the money.

FYI a lcd can be just as soothing as a plasma ,once you lower the backlight or (engage the power saving mode/light sensor which further dims a lcd even lower then backlight setting zero)

Plasma is better than LCD units any day. The two reasons they are ignored, too much power consumption, and screen burning. All the other things are positive over a LCD unit.
I don't know who watches T.V. in a well lit room! It's weird as hell.
A friend of mine has a plasma and he does not agree with the power consumption thing. Guess it depends how long its on each day. All day might not be efficient but a few hours isn't going to break the bank. If the picture was better than LED then i would not care about the extra cost. I still have an old CRT that hardy gets switched on these days but when i saw LED's or LCDs' i was not very impressed.[DOUBLEPOST=1383163633][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good for you guys then. Plasma TVs will become cheaper and more exclusive.
They won't get cheaper, they'll become more expensive and one fine day you won't see them on sale any more :(

Last edited:
Yeah, for short period of time Plasma or LCD's don't matter, but for guys like me when the unit is on for 10-12 hours (bloody parents!) per day it sure is a little annoying. Also moving from CRT to LCD was a nightmare for me. The pictures look like shit at first, it still is like that in comparison to CRT TVs but I just got used with it and more and more HD contents keep me busy and happy, that's all.

The problem here is unless you get HD cable then you're watching SD.

To enjoy Full HD you need to sit close, HD a little further back and SD at least twice as far as Full HD. Unless you sit further back for SD it looks terrible. This can be difficult to do if your sofas are at a fixed distance from the TV. IF all you watch is HD or Full HD then fine, mix it up with SD and i can't see how to avoid that then get ready to hop around the room.

Last edited:
@blr_p and @ithehappy ..yes that is the funny thing. Most reviewers claim plasma's to be far better than the LED's yet they did not do so well. Like it or not the fact is that they are a dying breed and yes marketing counts. Most of the world still thinks BOSE makes the world's best speakers and Apple the best mobiles. Heck they wait outside stores overnight to get the mobile phones.

p.s. I never could understand but I am digressing I guess.

Yeah that's why there is a word in dictionary called 'dumb'.

I would not say that. I mean to each his own and after all it is the customer's money. Me, the latest I have got is a Nokia Lumia 520 and that too after a lot of persuasion. At 65 k (Apple I Phone) I would probably do a quick trip to Bali :D . Thankfully , my girl friend trusts my judgement in the technology field and I have tech enclave to fall back upon.

I recently moved to a 51" plasma from a 21" CRT. The SD channels are shiet on such a big screen.
The reasons why I chose plasma over LED -
1) It is a mature technology. Most of the niggles have been taken care of.
2) I only watch the sports channels myself so plasma seemed the logical choice.
3) A similar screen size for LED would have cost me twice of what I paid for the plasma. So it is more VFM if you need to buy a bigger screen.

P.S. - I bought the Samsung PS51F5500 after seeing many happy owners at HiFiVision. I bought it during the period when they were offering 2 yrs extended warranty and 2 extra 3D goggles free with the TV. I paid 76500. I am terrible at haggling and I heard people have bought this from 68-73k. I just paid the MRP because I felt the extended warranty was worth it.

Its all down to power consumption and reflections on a plasma TV. My Panasonic 50 vt plasma used to pull 250+ watts while my 50 led is barely 80 watts. With OlED on the corner companies will try and shift their focus on it

This results in Rs.50 extra on your electricity bill with the plasma ?
if his TV runs for the same duration as the TV in my house -

170 Watts x 10 Hours x 30 Days = 51 Units x 6.40 Rs = 326.40 Rs Per month (taking Delhi Electricity rates).

Plus added load on the AC to cool the extra heat from the Plasma (the more power it uses, the more heat it will produce).

Back