The "Everyday" show-off thread !

That appears to be squeaky clean for some golden hardware.

It's in surprisingly very good condition. This motherboard is almost intimidating with the number of diagnostic leds and headers. It was released at the peak of Intel's motherboard division's engineering prowess, right before they were reformed into the NUC division. So the X79 boards never got Ivy Bridge support and the 4th gen motherboards never got Haswell Refresh or Broadwell support. This would've been an amazing board for Ivy Bridge Xeons.

What is the card in the PCI slot ?

It's a GT210 2GB that I found on OLX for Rs 800, I use it for as a display output for testing.

I remember starting my journey with an original Intel mbd in college and those were built to last.

Core2Duo ka jamaana :angelic:

actually it was before that. Pentium MMX. :p

I had a few 386's to play around with when I entered my teens and my first desktop with a colour monitor was my uncle's hand-me-down Pentium 166MHz MMX computer.

A few years later, I assembled my first system with brand new hardware and the motherboard was an Intel SE440BX2 with a Pentium III 450MHz. I was still just a teenager back then and this was my first new desktop so I couldn't ask/expect to get the 500MHz model which was the latest at the time.

Two months later the 550MHz one came out and soon after, the 600MHz one. That was the last of the Katmai's (code name for the original Pentium III). A year after I got my system, we reached 1GHz Pentium III's with Coppermine (code name for the second version of Pentium III). I remember being in such awe of that milestone, but I still loved my Katmai system. I told anyone and everyone around me who would listen that the 512KB cache at half speed made it a better processor than the 256KB cache at full speed that was on Coppermine.

Then the Pentium III Tualatin (third version) came out and it outclassed the Pentium 4 by a significant amount at much lower clockspeeds. My next desktop after the 450MHz Katmai was a Dell with a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood so a fair amount of years had passed in between.

I'm slowly working on putting together a retro build but not with the parts I had, but the parts that I wished I had back then. I'm expecting to have it done in a year or three.

It starts with this 600MHz new-in-box oem Katmai Pentium III with a 133MHz FSB that I found on Amazon US for $10 about two years ago:

gdcnwpcs2ud71.jpg

uosbl2ds2ud71.jpg

y2ccpzcs2ud71.jpg

A few years later, I assembled my first system with brand new hardware and the motherboard was an Intel SE440BX2 with a Pentium III 450MHz. I was still just a teenager back then and this was my first new desktop so I couldn't ask/expect to get the 500MHz model which was the latest at the time.

Two months later the 550MHz one came out and soon after, the 600MHz one. That was the last of the Katmai's (code name for the original Pentium III). A year after I got my system, we reached 1GHz Pentium III's with Coppermine (code name for the second version of Pentium III). I remember being in such awe of that milestone, but I still loved my Katmai system. I told anyone and everyone around me who would listen that the 512KB cache at half speed made it a better processor than the 256KB cache at full speed that was on Coppermine.

Then the Pentium III Tualatin (third version) came out and it outclassed the Pentium 4 by a significant amount at much lower clockspeeds. My next desktop after the 450MHz Katmai was a Dell with a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood so a fair amount of years had passed in between.

I'm slowly working on putting together a retro build but not with the parts I had, but the parts that I wished I had back then. I'm expecting to have it done in a year or three.

It starts with this 600MHz new-in-box oem Katmai Pentium III with a 133MHz FSB that I found on Amazon US for $10 about two years ago:

View attachment 118870

View attachment 118871

View attachment 118872
This was my exact first pc and the latest one in yr 2001. Socket processor. I still have preserved its box and logo too!
It even used to beat Pentium 3 733 mhz socket processor/810/815 mobo to which my friends upgraded and yet struggled to play NFS 3 while my config handled it with a bliss.
My then config:
Intel slot proccy 450mhz
Intel B450bx mobo
32mb single stick sd ram
Some AGP gpu 4mb memory
Yamaha ISI slot Sound card
Creative inside 48x cd rom

Except for 2 games which then required voodoo/opengl compatible gpu all games used to rock on this pc for 3yrs...

Adding now..
Seagate 4gb hdd
Intex mouse, mousepad and MIc
Microtek Keyboard
Some stereo speakers
HP printer
Daewoo 14in monitor

Last edited:
This was my exact first pc and the latest one in yr 2001. Socket processor. I still have preserved its box and logo too!
It even used to beat Pentium 3 733 mhz socket processor/810/815 mobo to which my friends upgraded and yet struggled to play NFS 3 while my config handled it with a bliss.
My then config:
Intel slot proccy 450mhz
Intel B450bx mobo
32gb single stick sd ram
Some AGP gpu 4mb memeory
Wow, you've still got those boxes and logo. My first PC was also in 2001 but don't even remember what was it.
Only thing I remember is that Samsung 40GB IDE HDD for Rs.6200 that time and Rs. 900 frontech optical mouse which was a show off item that time when everyone was scrolling the balls mouse.

Wow, you've still got those boxes and logo. My first PC was also in 2001 but don't even remember what was it.
Only thing I remember is that Samsung 40GB IDE HDD for Rs.6200 that time and Rs. 900 frontech optical mouse which was a show off item that time when everyone was scrolling the balls mouse.
In 2001 you getting 40gb ide was a luxury then but as far as remember the max hdd size available was back then 16gb but anyways it might be 40 too!
I got my first upgrade in yr 2003 a 20gb seagate ide + 4gb and I was the richest in storage around plus aded a 16mb ram as well.

Then the silsila of upgrade went on every 1.5/2yrs.. firstly grabbed the latest P4 mentioned by @rsaeon in 2k3 I guess.

In 2001 you getting 40gb ide was a luxury then but as far as remember the max hdd size available was back then 16gb but anyways it might be 40 too!
I got my first upgrade in yr 2003 a 20gb seagate ide + 4gb and I was the richest in storage around plus aded a 16mb ram as well.

Then the silsila of upgrade went on every 1.5/2yrs.. firstly grabbed the latest P4 mentioned by @rsaeon in 2k3 I guess.
yes it was a luxury and I'm sure it was Samsung 40GB. the only thing I remember from that config.
All my seagate 80 / 160 / 320 GB failed from 2003-2006, then I switched to WD and never turned back.

My then config:
Intel slot proccy 450mhz
Intel B450bx mobo
32gb single stick sd ram
Some AGP gpu 4mb memeory

Except for 2 games which then required voodoo/opengl compatible gpu all games used to rock on this pc for 3yrs...

Adding now..
Seagate 4gb hdd
Intex mouse, mousepad and MIc
Microtek Keyboard
Some stereo speakers
HP printer
Daewoo 14in monitor
32gb?

Amazon sent me wrong model with dead pixels for the second time. Time to ditch height adjustable thingy and get a regular 2k 32" IPS from maybe LG.

1635869676057.png
W.jpg

yes it was a luxury and I'm sure it was Samsung 40GB. the only thing I remember from that config.
All my seagate 80 / 160 / 320 GB failed from 2003-2006, then I switched to WD and never turned back.
Moving to WD i had the same experience. Not one dead since then.

Back