Graphic Cards The final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price is just fine, he's talking about a Gainward 6600GT.
I'm assuming you're talking about the XFX model. :)

I think you should go for 6800le 'cause since u'r buying a high end card you will definately want that AA and AF be turned on, that's when the 256 Bit Memory bus of 6800le would be supirior to 128 Bit Bus of 6600gt.
One more thing, unlocking pipelines dosen't void any warranties, 'cause there is no way to detect softmodding.

Hitman said:
I think you should go for 6800le 'cause since u'r buying a high end card you will definately want that AA and AF be turned on, that's when the 256 Bit Memory bus of 6800le would be supirior to 128 Bit Bus of 6600gt.
One more thing, unlocking pipelines dosen't void any warranties, 'cause there is no way to detect softmodding.

Now thats a post I have been waiting for. What if I unlock 12 pipes from the standard 8, then the card works fine for a year, dies during second or third year of warranty.

When I return the card, will they be able to detect that the pipes are unlocked and they will refuse to service the card ?

I really don't want that kind of situation.

anishcool said:
Now thats a post I have been waiting for. What if I unlock 12 pipes from the standard 8, then the card works fine for a year, dies during second or third year of warranty.

When I return the card, will they be able to detect that the pipes are unlocked and they will refuse to service the card ?

I really don't want that kind of situation.
If after unlocking the card artifacts you can undo the unlocked pipelines and send it for replacement. Neways since it is a softmod it will only work on the PC u have activated the pipes on.

Well, since nobody has reached that stage yet it is a very difficult thing to say. I am not convinced that they cannot detect whether or not you have unlocked the extra pipes. Simply running Riva Tuner will tell you the story.

If you are serious about the 6800LE, then you have to take the chance about detection of unlocking, if and when you RMA it.

If you dont want any such situation, go for the home-delivery on the Leadtek. As you said, post delivery payment is a huge advantage.

jai said:
If you dont want any such situation, go for the home-delivery on the Leadtek. As you said, post delivery payment is a huge advantage.

Hmm Jai, thanks for the advice, but even the 6800LE is a Leadtek and I get home delivery with that too. So you basically say that even if there is a problem I can relock the pipes and send the card ? Or they wont detect it at all.

I am quite sure that the Leadtek 6800LE is unlockable as I read a review saying that 12 pipes can easily and safely be unlocked.

What say now ?

Even with the pipelines unlocked the performance diff is not so significant to warrant the 3k diff. Thats provided they are stable with the pipes unlocked. The decision is with you with the pipes unlocked and the memory oced, that would be a potent combo.

anishcool said:
So you basically say that even if there is a problem I can relock the pipes and send the card ? Or they wont detect it at all.

I am quite sure that the Leadtek 6800LE is unlockable as I read a review saying that 12 pipes can easily and safely be unlocked.

What say now ?

It just that u'r using extra pipelines on u'r card by using another s/w, which were disabled by the orignal drivers(ie another software).
So u see, u don't make any actual modifications to u'r card, so there is no way, that anyone can ever detect if u'r card was ever softmodded.

@hardboy:
Nope, it ain't illegal. Once you have bought a graphix card, you can do anything with it. You get it by paying money, not free. Even you can remove the logo of the company and put your own logo there and show off to ur friends! But, if u start selling the "re-branded" card, then its illegal!

So, in a nutshell, you could do anything with ur card, but the companies won't be responsible for your acts. So, it effectively translates into the warranty being void! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok then, not too sure what to do again. The Leadtek package of home-delivery is irresistable. I will try and see if I can get a good deal with the Gainward 6600GT or else I may go for the Leadtek 6600GT and OC it.

On stock settings what would be better : Leadtek 6600GT or 6800LE.

Also on only GPU and RAM OC'ed, not pipes unlocked : 6600GT or 6800LE ?

hardboy said:
but after overclocking if the card gets sploit and you bring it to stock and return itsn't that illegal.

After oc'ing, if the card gets spoit, then you just throw that thing away! There's no way to bring a spoilt card to stock! At least, till now there wasn't one! Now, if you may have discovered one, then ...! :eek:hyeah:

I think I have made up my mind. I am going to get the Gainward 6600GT GLH.

That's it. 12k with 3-yr warranty. Cool deal.

why not consider 256mb xfx/asus for 14k , try to bargain.

128mb geforce 6600gt pci-e xfx is for 10.3-10.5 @ smc

hardboy said:
why not consider 256mb xfx/asus for 14k , try to bargain.

128mb geforce 6600gt pci-e xfx is for 10.3-10.5 @ smc

He has made up his mind after a lot of discussions and bashing!
Now, don't confuse him anymore! :bleh: :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back