Graphic Cards The final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm.. i had inquired for an 6600 gt card( XFX i think)... i was told a price of 9530 at lamington road.hmmm so is it a 128 mb card right? cause the card wasd`nt placed anywhere there though..
ohh also hmm i`m buyng an sli motherboard.. so how do i make sure that the card is sli compatible... or are sli compatible cards available here yet???

If you are buying an SLI motherboard, obviously you have to go for a PCI-E card. For SLI to work at all, both the card must be the exact same thing, i.e., same chipset, same manufacturer, same video BIOS, etc. In other words, whatever you buy, buy two of them. Otherwise, no SLI.

Any nVidia PCI-E card will work in SLI mode, so there is no question of whether SLI compatible cards are available here or not.

jai said:
Any nVidia PCI-E card will work in SLI mode, so there is no question of whether SLI compatible cards are available here or not.

Nope :hap5:

the chipsets that support SLI are :

6600GT

6800 Non Ultra

6800GT

6800Ultra

not supported :

PCX5350

PCX5750

6200, TC and non TC

6600 non GT

Sorry Sunny, I did not even know that the 5350 and 5750 come in PCI-E flavour. In any case, who is going to buy them now? Thanks for upgrading my infobase.

So, chic_magnet, now you know which cards NOT to buy.

SunMysore said:
Nope

the chipsets that support SLI are :

6600GT
6800 Non Ultra
6800GT
6800Ultra

not supported :

PCX5350
PCX5750
6200, TC and non TC
6600 non GT
Sunny, some 6600 non gt's, like prolink pixelview do support SLI :p

hardboy said:
why not consider 256mb xfx/asus for 14k , try to bargain.

128mb geforce 6600gt pci-e xfx is for 10.3-10.5 @ smc

The 256MB card is the plain 6600 right. I am looking for the GT AGP version.

No GT card with 256 MB except Zebronics available in India. :hap5:

hardboy said:
256mb asus/ xfx geforce 6600gt was @ smc

also,when buying card,check for sli supported sybol or something

Dude, just check up. I haven't found a 256MB GT card anywhere.

I am not looking for SLI at all. Even my motherboard doesn't support it.

May I know what SMC stands for ? :S

chic_magnet said:
hmm.. i had inquired for an 6600 gt card( XFX i think)... i was told a price of 9530 at lamington road.hmmm so is it a 128 mb card right? cause the card wasd`nt placed anywhere there though..
ohh also hmm i`m buyng an sli motherboard.. so how do i make sure that the card is sli compatible... or are sli compatible cards available here yet???
Can you tell me who gave you the price of 9530/- even i m intrested in buying at that price. which place in lamnington road, & name of dealer

Not really,XFX 6600 GT AGP is $177 and PCI-E is $164.So prices will come down here eventually.I expect it to drop below 10k very soon and below 9k in two months(thats when I plan to buy).

Leadtek AGP is for 155$ after rebates...
Asus AGP is for 189$
Geforce 6800 NU is for 195%
Sapphire X800 PCIE is for 195$
Hence if you are gonna go PCIE which you should if going for a new system, X800 is the best deal out there...

Any ATi card is not future proof now.Even valve is coming out with sm3.0 mode with better eye-candy for GF6(and R5XX?) cards in its hl2 expansion.Besides with most 6600Gts overclocking to 550/1150 with ease,the 6600gt is still better.

SM 3.0 is a joke on current line of Nvidia products, its more of a paper launch, as even the high end 6800 GT's choke with HDR lightning enabled. And I am not even talking about dynamic branching, normal mapping etc. SM 3.0 feature is just a namesake currently.

6600 GT is good right now but X800 series is better anyday. Again it all depends on your budget..
WGF 2.0 is also way ahead, infact if R500 (Xbox) is to be believed ATI has geometry shading enabled aldready !!!

Seems u r a fanatic.
Firstly,
On the 6800GT and 6800U sm3.0 is still decent.
Games like SC:CT show a marked IQ difference for sm3.0 cards.
For PCI-E,a 6600Gt gives u SLI options later on.
For AGP:X800 AGP is way too costly anyway to compete with the 6600gt.

Nope am not a Fanatic, am just giving a view ( I owned 2 Nvidia cards, 1 ATI cards ;) ]
6800 GT also has a huge performance hit with HDR and soft shadows enabled infact the debatable point is the IQ is better with AA and AF enabled then just with SM 3.0 enabled. Also if a 350$ card cannot do AA and AF with a feature it advertises so heavily whats the point !!!
SLI is out of question, due to the sheer cost involved.
Again if at 200$ am getting an X800 which is nearly 1.5 times the perfomance of a 6600 GT, its not a bad deal.

Also SC CT has just a fraction of Sm 3.0 features, the major feature normal mapping brings down the NV4xx to its knees as a demo sometime back proved. Yes if I am getting same performance at same price I will definitely opt for NV. As in 6600GT is anyday a better deal then 9800 pro and X700 pro.

Yup even i feel the same about the implementation of Sm 3.0 features on the current crop of hardware. Maybe the next gen will be powerful enough to utilise it to its advantage.

But,dude isn't there a performance increase in this gen due to smart shader 3.0?
Also,doesn't nvidia have much better image quality now?

By the way some games like splinter cell padnora tomorrow atleast in 1024*768 without aa and af according to xbitlabs.com in a test , 9800pro was significantly better than geforce 6600gt.

How abt 62 approx on one side vs approx 49 on another side,don't rely only on these figures,just check with xbitlabs so you don't hold me responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back