The Fitness Thread !

Whole eggs are better and safe. I eat whole eggs (following a ton of studies not my gut feeling) Max nutritional value is in the yolk. Having eggs with breakfast instead of that bar will be better.

Yep. Protein mgs reduced by half, egg whites have 2/3 prots. 50 grams is okay. BW kgs x 1 gram is a good intake. Someone weighing 80 kgs should have 80/100 grams a day. Source also matters, bioavailability too.
do not depend only on egg whites for your protein needs. you would bound to have side effects [at least initially]. protein content in boiled egg white is not so much.. that is the reason i think your trainer has done a direct math of multiplying no. off eggs into protein required!!

if you ask me weight loss is the easier part. it is the muscle/lean mass gain that is difficult. by the way how tall are you?
[DOUBLEPOST=1434817011][/DOUBLEPOST]This wednesday I had chana sprouts and man i don't know what was wrong with it. my stomach went total upset, loose motions and stomach pain, water loss and bizarre headaches. Felt so weak dehydrated, skipped thursday workout :(

Last edited:
Recently started with my workout regime (again) and have started with cardio + strength plan. My trainer says that I need to include atleast 50 gm of protein in my diet daily and since I am veggie he suggested me to eat 20 - 22 egg whites daily. Is it advisable to do so ?

My stats:
Weight: 98 kg
Height: 6 Feet

At present I am following below mentioned diet:

Breakfast: Protein bar (Rite bite) + Porridge with homemade vegggies or dal
Lunch: 2 chapati + veggie + dal
Evening snacks: 5 egg whites and small bowl of sprouts
Dinner: 1 chapati + Dal + sabzi

I tend to throw in a bowl of muskmelon sometimes.

Also since I am trying to maintain a calorie deficit, I believe that my workout will use excess fat stored in my body and not the protein which I am including in my diet.

My aim as of now is weight loss + toning.

Your trainer appears to be an idiot. Unless you wish to participate in Mr Universe, those many eggs are of no use and might actually make you fat.

If you have too much protein, the body will start metabolizing protein and finally it will end up turning into more fat.

Take his opinion with a pinch of salt. 98 is a pretty high weight for someone who is 6'. I'm 6'1" and, 35 and was around 93 not so long ago. (April)

I tried cardio for a long while and it didn't help. What I realized afterwards is that if you wish to lose weight, the only way out is to get rid of carbs from your diet. If you keep eating carbs, it is very very hard to lose any weight as the body will keep converting it into fat. Stop carbs and the body goes into the ketosis and starts burning fat. The ideal is no rice, no chapati, no dal, no cereal, no sugar. Anything with more than 5% carbs is bad!

I mentioned it somewhere else - my current diet is ketogenic - 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carb diet. Its also a deficit diet - around 1600 cals instead of 2400. Since April, I've lost 14 kg and am around 79 now.

Try a keto diet with a calorie deficit - it really works.

. The ideal is no rice, no chapati, no dal, no cereal, no sugar. Anything with more than 5% carbs is bad!

Thanks for your response. But bhaiyaji fir khaate kya ho ?? :confused:
I don't eat sugar and have cut down chapatis from 8 per day to 3 per day. I eat rice occasionally but then I tend to eat dal, a lot (with porridge, sprouts and egg whites etc).

1 egg white has 3.5 gms protein , 20 egg white is 70 gms protein , 7 egg whites is enough , one egg white has only 17 calories so its a good low calorie source of protein,
I eat a small bowl of boiled kala chana & four egg whites for breakfast . ( after coming back from gym )

1 egg white has 3.5 gms protein , 20 egg white is 70 gms protein , 7 egg whites is enough , one egg white has only 17 calories so its a good low calorie source of protein,
I eat a small bowl of boiled kala chana & four egg whites for breakfast . ( after coming back from gym )
Even I intend to do the same.
5 egg whites, Bowl of chana / sprouts and a glass of milk.

Thanks for your response. But bhaiyaji fir khaate kya ho ?? :confused:
I don't eat sugar and have cut down chapatis from 8 per day to 3 per day. I eat rice occasionally but then I tend to eat dal, a lot (with porridge, sprouts and egg whites etc).

Meat, eggs, vegetables (most), fatty sauces, lots of butter+ghee+mayo, cheese, full fat milk & cream, paneer - does the job for me. Most nuts are also ok. For two whole months, I followed it diligently. Now I cheat an odd day every 2 weeks and it doesn't hurt me.

Meat, eggs, vegetables (most), fatty sauces, lots of butter+ghee+mayo, cheese, full fat milk & cream, paneer - does the job for me. Most nuts are also ok. For two whole months, I followed it diligently. Now I cheat an odd day every 2 weeks and it doesn't hurt me.
Please link/post some of your recipes as well if you can, because I can't think of any Indian recipes which work without rice/chappati.

Seems virtually impossible to follow for someone like me who is into non-veg but household is strictly vegetarian (not even eggs). The science behind it is quite sound though.
Do you plan to follow this diet till your desired weight loss is achieved or for as long as possible?

Please link/post some of your recipes as well if you can, because I can't think of any Indian recipes which work without rice/chappati.
You can have the usual vegetable curry, paneer curry, chicken curry etc. Just don't eat the chapati or rice. Initially you will feel odd but sooner or later the body will get adjusted to it. Put lots of butter or ghee on top of the curry. Have some salad vegetables like cucumber, capsicum etc to go with it. If you absolutely must have rotis, make them with almond flour instead of wheat flour .

Seems virtually impossible to follow for someone like me who is into non-veg but household is strictly vegetarian (not even eggs). The science behind it is quite sound though.
Do you plan to follow this diet till your desired weight loss is achieved or for as long as possible?
Once I reach the desired goal, I will continue the diet but won't maintain a calorie deficit. That will make sure there is no further weight loss. I can also cheat more often.

Once I reach the desired goal, I will continue the diet but won't maintain a calorie deficit. That will make sure there is no further weight loss. I can also cheat more often.

Just curious but how does this fat metabolism thing affect your body's cholesterol levels?

It's understandable that adverse effects can be discounted in case the diet is being followed for a few months but if one sticks to it for many years (accommodating even for frequent cheating with carbs), isn't there a case for adverse effects?

Guys I have fat around my abdomen.Called as lovehandles.

Any idea how to loose those.

I run a lot have a proper diet.And gym regularly.Crunches abs push ups are followed regularly.
I have seen change in overall muscles but not in that abdomen region.

Please provide advice for the same.

Just curious but how does this fat metabolism thing affect your body's cholesterol levels?

It's understandable that adverse effects can be discounted in case the diet is being followed for a few months but if one sticks to it for many years (accommodating even for frequent cheating with carbs), isn't there a case for adverse effects?

The adverse effects of a carb rich diet would have been far worse for me now - obesity, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease - who knows what all really.

I'd rather be healthy and happy now and worry about some potential issue that i'm not sure if is real in future!

The adverse effects of a carb rich diet would have been far worse for me now - obesity, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease - who knows what all really.

I'd rather be healthy and happy now and worry about some potential issue that i'm not sure if is real in future!

I really commend your efforts in weaning yourself off a carb-based diet as it is close to impossible for most Indians to adhere to; at least in the long run.
My question was purely out of curiosity since we are all talking health here with a certain set of people looking to lose stubborn weight.

I'm pre-disposed to heart issues with ailments related to the heart running on both sides of the family. Hence the doubt about cholesterol.

Nevertheless, happy for your results :).

@Chaos I am not sure how good extra ghee, butter is on the long run. Never seen anyone get any benefit out of it.
And are you suggesting extra ghee/butter because of the taste? Or some other reason?

Guys I have fat around my abdomen.Called as lovehandles.

Any idea how to loose those.

I run a lot have a proper diet.And gym regularly.Crunches abs push ups are followed regularly.
I have seen change in overall muscles but not in that abdomen region.

Please provide advice for the same.
You have high testosterone to estrogen conversion ratio, and this is usually genetic.
This is what causes love-handles (fat on sides of the waist).
Your abdomen area will respond the last and the least. So persist with whatever you are doing.
And PLEASE for god's sake, don't look at magazine/internet poster boys and models (6 pack) as a goal and keep cursing yourself lifelong.

You may never achieve that look because of multiple reasons. Genetics for one.
Steroids also almost every time.

Please read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

There is a very solid scientific basis for eating fats instead of carbs.
For body to reach ketogenisis that leads to fast reduction in body fat, it needs to be under severe caloric deficit.
It is not as simple as the keto / paleo diet followers make it out to be by simply removing carbs.

If we eat excess fats - they get stored simply as body fat. If we eat excess protein, it gets converted to sugar and consequently body fat.

So the key thing is calorific deficit. Also, as far as I remember, it takes about a week of being in calorific deficit as well as carb elimination for the body to start ketogenesis. The best way to determine whether your body has actually gone into keto state is the breath. It turns sweet and fruity-ish. Even though you've not brushed/tongue scraped/eaten. This is because of production of ketones in your body.

Someone who has done real fasting (no food), not the India variety (where people binge on potato), for multiple days will have definitely experienced this.

Back