The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

Bluffmaster said:
^Yes, it is quite similar to a pre-workout supplement. I used to take NO-Xplode but realized that it was increasing my blood pressure even at idle and I was kind of getting addicted to it because of the high caffeine quantity. I stopped taking it, although the energy level has gone down a bit but it still works for me, atleast I am not getting addicted to anything.

Everyone react differently. May be you are less tolerant to caffeine.

But you cannot compare even vaguely creatine and steroids. They are totaly different.

^^

@ Saiyan - Dont expect unusual growth. You will bulk up quickly but most of it would be water so try to improve your strength.

I feel if you are not into competitive body building then you need not take caffeine. You say creatin is not that bad, but who knows. Right at the time steroids were introduced, even that was not considered bad, but with abusive use, look what can happen. You should try watching the BBC documentary 'The Man whose arms exploded'. Any supplement you take would have an effect on you. May not be in the shorter run, but tin due time it does. The only supplement i can think that are good are the whey. But then again there are some issues there too.

I really like the old times, when power lifters and body builders were the same. The classic body and not the likes of behemoths that we see today.

This week is been ok. went to gym 4 days. hmm.

Raised deadlift weight to 60Kgs. 5 * 5. Going to continue this weight for another 2 weeks.

Squat. max was 100KG. but couldnt do above 3 reps this time also. :S. few more weeks i guess.

Need to ask something. My cardio workout is like this.

2 or 3 days, 21 minutes steady running. in between a 2 minute walk. + 1 Km cycling

1 day it be like 12 minutes. but 1 min fast walk - 1 min running + 1 Km cycling

My aim is obviously fat burning. Is this ok?

According to SL, dont stick to one weight

Raise DL by 10 pounds every workout and squats by 5 pounds

If you fail 5*5, reduce 10 pounds and work from there

@Jeri : How is it that you can squat 100 kgs but can deadlift only 60 kgs? At your level, a deadlift should be equal or greater than your bodyweight. Anyways, since you are already burning fat 3 times a week when lifting, doing light cardio work on off days isn't going to hurt either. But do keep a check on your cardio intensity, as squatting 3 times a week can really tax your legs. Your priority should be weight training and not cardio, if you feel that your cardio work is interrupting your lifts, take a rest day or lighten your cardio intensity. Ultimately weight loss/fat loss is largely dependent on your diet, you won't start seeing desired results till the time you keep a check on your diet.

^Even so, the deadlift uses the strongest and biggest muscles in our body, therefore doing heavy deadlifts isn't very hard even for beginners. As far as squats are concerned, 100 kgs even on a smith machine is a pretty decent weight.

oh no...not another of Mehdi's minions :bleh:

Jokes apart, there can be many other reasons for this.

A. Half Squats as opposed to hips below parallel.

B. He Deadlifts 60 kg for 5x5. His 1x5 keeping other things constant will always be higher.

C. He also says that he can manage only 3 reps of it at 100kgs

I'll get my coat...

@nuke

Yeas. last week it was 50KG.

:) I am sticking to 60KG for next 2 weeks coz, I dont have anymore weights to put in free bar. I dont know how to explain. Rest of the weights are made for the squat smith. Using them here is a bit tricky. they are extremely loose in free bar.

Bluffmaster said:
@Jeri : How is it that you can squat 100 kgs but can deadlift only 60 kgs? At your level, a deadlift should be equal or greater than your bodyweight. Anyways, since you are already burning fat 3 times a week when lifting, doing light cardio work on off days isn't going to hurt either. But do keep a check on your cardio intensity, as squatting 3 times a week can really tax your legs. Your priority should be weight training and not cardio, if you feel that your cardio work is interrupting your lifts, take a rest day or lighten your cardio intensity. Ultimately weight loss/fat loss is largely dependent on your diet, you won't start seeing desired results till the time you keep a check on your diet.

Only started deadlift specifically around 3 or 4 weeks ago. used to do it few months ago with lower weights.

I only do Squats and deadlifts once a week. not 3 times.

@dafreak.

No half squats.

Hey Guys,

I am posting for the first time in this section. I have a query if you could help me with it. A little background before though - I lost 17kgs in the last 4 months simply by running and diet control, now I weigh 70Kgs which is quite alright for a 6 feet tall guy like me. However, I contracted Compartment Syndrome (blood clot in the calf muscle) 3 weeks back which happened because of excessive running on hard surface. Since then I have had to stop my running routine and I moved on to upper body workout at the gym ( I look quite skinny in the arms).

Now I aspire to have lean muscle kind of body, I need the V shape but not the huge bulk. Currently I am unable to do chin ups, perhaps because my delts, trapezius and biceps aren't strong enough. In order to attain what I seek, should I constantly increase the weights on all my exercises or increase the amount of reps with lighter weights?

I currently do 10 reps per exercise into failure. I am studying at an MBA college where we have a fully equipped gym but no trainer for guidance, thus this query.

Thanks

Light weight - high reps routine is mostly used by bodybuilders looking to attain hypertrophy. In your case, since you have negligible muscle mass, you should stick with heavy weights - low reps routine. A good routine is of extreme importance for a beginner. I suggest you get on the "Starting Strength" workout routine immediately. Also, you need to start a clean bulk, it is very difficult to build muscle mass on a calorie deficit diet. You need to be atleast 500 calories above your maintenance which will work out to be roughly 3500 calories per day give or take. Eating clean is the key here, else you're going to put all that fat you shed back on you.

Here is the link to the starting strength routine : Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Got it, thanks. The website is helpful. Another question popped up in my mind - I have seen this on some other websites as well apart from this - the three days a week routine only(alternate days). Could you corroborate this? I have been working out 6 days a week, 45 minutes each session. I have been eating well, avoiding fats + bad carbs and supplementing with protinex + milk. I don't think I am overdoing this.

cardio everyday is fine but with strength training, one muscle group should not be wokred out more than twice a week as is described in stronglifts/starting strength

Working out doing cardio and working out with weights are two completely different things. As you start working out with weights you would soon realize that it isn't as easy as you may have imagined it to be and a good workout can take a lot of effort and in process fatigue your muscles considerably. Hence, proper rest is of outmost importance. If you do no give adequate rest to your muscles, you will risk over-training them which will be counter-productive to your progress. Another, important thing to note here is that muscles do not grow in the gym, they do so while you are sleeping/resting and without proper rest they will not be able to repair themselves. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to strictly follow the 3 day routine though, as you make progress and get experienced with weights, you can try a split routine consisting of 4-6 days a week but avoid doing it for now. As a beginner, 3 days a week is all you need. You can maybe add some "light" cardio and ab work on the off days but thats about it. Stick to the starting strength programme for 6 months and you will see the results.

On a side note, the protein x supplement that you are taking is a complete joke, it isn't doing "anything" for you. Get "ON Whey gold standard isolate" or "Muscletech Whey isolate". A 5lb jar of ON whey will set you back by 3600 bucks and should last for 30-60 days depending upon your usage. You will need approximately 150 g of protein daily which is quite easy to get imo.

^Kindly elaborate? Consuming whey is more to do with fulfilling the daily protein requirement than anything else. Also, BCAA and Glutamine are both present in Whey and as far as casein is concerned, we get plenty of it from milk.

Why Whey SUCKS! - Iron Addicts Forums

One of the many reasons.

And people don't realize that whey causes a lot of their gastric problems and Insulin spikes. People like whey because of the taste and well everyone tells them that whey is brilliant blah blah blah. Lot of gym rat-science etc involved.

At the end of the day whatever works for you works for you. If your body responds well to whey then by all means gulp it down.

Back