The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

How to calculate rep max. eg. 5 rep max. Is it the weight that i can lift in my very first working set for 5 reps or on my last working set which could be fourth or fifth?

iChaitanya said:
Hi!

Cow milk has less saturated fat, but more cholesterol.

Water buffalo milk has more saturated fat, but less cholesterol.

Which one is better for drinking (a glassful) on a daily basis?

I do cardio (running, cycling, step-machine) 4-5 days a week. I also consume 1 egg (with yolk) daily.

I was also doing weight-lifting until couple of months ago, but left it as these days I barely get an hr. free.

1 egg + 1 glass milk is working out well for me. Not interested in supplements.

I'm just confused regarding cow vs water buffalo milk. :S

Experts, please help!

Depends on your goal. If you are a bulking, then a full cream buffalo milk will do and if you are cutting then a double tonned cow milk is the best bet.

m-jeri said:
Have an update.

Did DL's yesterday. 50KG. 5*5.
m-jery, did you really perform 5 sets of deadlift with 5 reps in each set?
Please pardon me for this "chhota muh badi baat" but I don't think one should do 5 sets of deadlifts, its a big stress for lower back. 2 warmup sets with lighter weight and 1 set of 5 reps with max weight is more than enough.

^^

Yeas i did. It wasnt that stressful for me as u consider. so it must have been liftable weight for me. But true that last 2 sets were very good for me. I felt.

If Mark Rippetoe says DL should be 1x5 then it should be 1x5 (with some warmup)

if you could do 5x5 means it the load was in the warmup range

^Rippetoe's programme is for beginners and not experienced lifters. Jeri says, he has been lifting from the past 2 years so I guess he ain't a beginner anymore. 5x5 is still a lot, stick to 3x5 for DL.

Where can i easily find Ephedrine HCL tabs in Mumbai? They are available OTC in India but most of the pharmacy don't have them in stock.

@all.

Have an update. Today was squats

40KG 1 * 10
60KG 1 * 10
70KG 1 * 10
80KG 1 * 5
90KG 1 * 5
100KG 1 * 3

Although its just 3 reps. but still.. felt good. later did some lunges then triceps. thats it. left for the day. :D

^Are you crazy? Forget sitting on your pot for the next 3 days. Progression is good but mindless progression is stupid. Those are insane number of reps which I won't recommend to anyone. BTW, why are you not including the bar weight in those figures? The bar alone is 18 KG. Next time whenever someone asks you how much you bench or squat, add the bar weight too.

Bl^nK said:
@big.bad.boi : Time to switch gym.

I just shifted to this new gym, i've been here for a month & hey i was thinking do back extension on machine with added plate or dumbell give same effect or closer effect like deadlift?

m-jeri said:
@all.

Have an update. Today was squats

40KG 1 * 10

60KG 1 * 10

70KG 1 * 10

80KG 1 * 5

90KG 1 * 5

100KG 1 * 3

Although its just 3 reps. but still.. felt good. later did some lunges then triceps. thats it. left for the day. :D

It should be really taxing even if your ROM was not proper. IMO you are overdoing it.

Bluffmaster said:
^Are you crazy? Forget sitting on your pot for the next 3 days. Progression is good but mindless progression is stupid. Those are insane number of reps which I won't recommend to anyone. BTW, why are you not including the bar weight in those figures? The bar alone is 18 KG. Next time whenever someone asks you how much you bench or squat, add the bar weight too.

Well I only was planning to do till 90kg. but my gym guy said u can try increasing the weight to see if u can lift. since 5 is the lowest so.

And also. I split legs into 2 days. thursday i do, leg ext, back thigh, leg press. Friday squats and lunges. Else as u said i cannot lift myself from potty if all together.

About the bar weight. No. you are not correct. In this precor squat smith, the bar weight is not applicable. its connected to the entire machine and weight is nullified.

Around 7 months back in my old gym, was using old school olympic bar freely, so the weight has to be accounted. correct me if i wan wrong.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Bl^nK said:
It should be really taxing even if your ROM was not proper. IMO you are overdoing it.

ROM? How am i overdoing it? Plz explain. as its a crucial exercise i want to be correct as possible.

Bluffmaster said:

Why is it stupid I dont understand if the form he is doing is correct.

He did only 43 reps in total and that is quite normal..He must be using a smith machine and 100 is easily acheivable for an intermediate body builder.

There are some days where you may be able to push urself a little extra and there is nothing wrong in that.(and vice versa)
@M-jeri - I dont know ur previous weights and reps but if you are improving keep it up...
Take enough rest, sleep well, give atleast 48 for the same muscle to recover and most importantly eat quality food. Then you are good to go again.
Lot of cooks spoil the food. Bro if you have any doubt better do your own research. BB is not exact science and there are no fixed rules. Just make sure you are following the basics and keep away from injury.
There is also no 100% guarentee that which works for me works for you also and if something is working well for you then is no reason to change.

Back