The Indian Politics Thread

Can it teach me how to make test tube babies
Why? You not capable of producing kids? :D
I don't think you read what I wrote. So please like a good kid read what I wrote again. In case you still have that question,then I think you can fix an appointment with Drona's Doctor or the person who thinks that Drona was a testube baby. Probably that person can satisfy your doubts.
If not then you always have good ivf centers you can visit.

Anyway for a moment I thought in some thread for Producing Kids.
I think we are digressing to something else.
Better stick to politics, and keep kids manufacturing out if this

Last edited:
It's their choice anyway.
Religious schools will do what they want. I meant private ones.

Basically, Vedic education is nothing but the Indian version of creationism being taught alongside evolution in schools.
ok, so that is a pretty brief way of putting it. Creationism in schools created quite a stir in the US in 2005. Kansas was in the forefront. roots of that struggle go back a long time, recall reading commentary trashing it as early as 1925.

So you can see what its been like in the US, expect to see similar and as enduring a struggle as they did.

How? They've already done it, and will continue doing it. When the whole system is rigged to be abused howsoever the ones in power want to, then they definitely will.
No scope for legal challenges ?

Last edited:
^^To digress a bit. I remembered a line from Tropical Thunder on going full retard.

Kirk Lazarus: Hats off for going there, especially knowing how the Academy is about that shit.
[Lazarus starts to walk away]
Tugg Speedman: Wait, about what?
Kirk Lazarus: You're serious? You don't know? Everybody knows you never go full retard.
Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?
Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, "Rain Man", looked retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Count toothpicks, cheat at cards. Autistic, sure. Not retarded. Then you got Tom Hanks, "Forrest Gump". Slow, yes, retarded, maybe, braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon, and he won a Ping-Pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There", infantile? Yes. Retarded? No. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam". Remember? Went full retard? Went home empty-handed.

Forget IIT man. I am really dissapointed with the way engineering colleges have been coming up.
I mean before there used to be few good private engg college after the IITs and NITs.
Nowadays so many new engg colleges have come up with so low standards. I mean person who has scored 35% has got an engg seat.
So anyone and everyone becomes an Engg, with almost 0 techinical or analytical abilities . :(
I have worked with some people from such engg colleges. Dont know how they got recruited in the first place.
These guys cant think at all and are more interested in the extra curricular activities like fashion shows or dance competions, as if that was the primary purpose for what they were recruited for. :(

A wise man once told me years ago, 'there will come a time when a stone thrown at a crowd will almost certainly hit an engineer'. I think that time is here.
I've seen degree holders working at 10-15k salary, slaving away at keyboards. We have quantity but we lack quality.

Another thing I've seen is, many students who have good and practical knowledge of important stuff have few KTs and don't care about the syllabus. I'm quite sure this forum has such members.

We don't need more IITs, we need to change entire educational structure from its foundation.

If only starting IITs was as easy as 'acting' on a daily soap...

Narayan Murthy has expressed displeasure about state of old IITs and she wants to start new ones?
What's wrong with setting up more IIT's ?

Besides Nehru already got the ball rolling. It's not easy but somebody has to do it.

While we're at it, we also need more medical schools. This country puts out a tenth of the number of doctors it really needs.

We need more science research institutes or universities. Engineers only end up as software programmers nowadays. I think only 1% actually work in the field they got degrees in.

With more research institutes, we could stop brain drain to first world countries. Hopefully, super large companies like Reliance, Tata etc, fund such universities.

can you give a larger explanation. You touched briefly on what seems like a very broad & complex issue.

Basically, your point is...throwing more resources at this isn't going to fix things. It's just putting it off for later ?

Realise that his govt is under pressure to deliver results. To do what you want how long will it take to present those results.

Opening up more IITs and IIMs should not be a concern. It is the need keeping in mind the population of India. The concern should be the quality of education and that should not suffer by increasing the institutes. The effort should not be towards creating scarcity to increase value.

I'll try.

Basically, your point is...throwing more resources at this isn't going to fix things. It's just putting it off for later ?

Basically, yes. We don't have a unified educational system (which is also a problem in my opinion) so my experience is limited to Maharashtra board and from what I know about other boards.

We focus too much on marks and grades and very little on development of children as a human beings. From first standard to higher education, it is an exhausting rat race. Our new minister wants to start few more IITs? Fine. But who will enroll in those? Wouldn't their situation be similar to existing IITs? It won't solve the problem. It will only make it worse.

The blame also falls on the parents. First of all, the language on education should be that child's mother-tongue. And it isn't my personal opinion. UNESCO and many others support it. But let us keep that aside. It is a global issue. Indian parents put their burden of expectations on their kids. There is a reason why high expectations Asian parents is a stereotype.

And not only school, these poor kids later have to attend various classes for studies and for other activities. I know parents who make their kids attend 3 different classes. One for study (because obviously teachers in schools can teach for squat, according to them) and other two for sports or painting, dancing, singing... well, you got the drift.

This brings forth a very important point. Why these things aren't thought in school itself? I know I would've wanted to spent more time in school if this was the case (I know I'm obviously ignoring issues like lack of real estate which leads to schools without a small ground let alone a swimming pool). Why are we so focused on kid's marks in exams and why parents keep comparing their kids to other's? Because we treat our kids like investments or commodities. Our goal is to make our kids make a Doctor or CEO so that they will earn money, even if they turn out to be pretty horrible as a person. We are selfish like that.

Realise that his govt is under pressure to deliver results. To do what you want how long will it take to present those results.

Isn't that one of the problems which has put us in this situation? Each and every government focusing on short term goals? I know it is a very hard work to change mentality of entire society, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps in that direction.

India likely to ease restrictions for foreign online retailers next month

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/04/us-india-retail-idUSKBN0EF0V920140604

Wasn't BJP opposing when Congress was doing the same?

India likely to ease restrictions for foreign online retailers next month

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/04/us-india-retail-idUSKBN0EF0V920140604
In bold and large font too as this is one issue that most here really care about :D[DOUBLEPOST=1401898108][/DOUBLEPOST]
^^ yes and it seems they are going to allow only in ecommerce. I may be wrong or partially correct.
Believe it when i see it.

if true then those Swadeshi Jagraan Manch types have got sidelined.

Last edited:
We focus too much on marks and grades and very little on development of children as a human beings. From first standard to higher education, it is an exhausting rat race.
I've always thought this was a direct result of a shortage of opportunities. The high marks requirement is a filtering mechanism. This is why the endless rat race.

Indian parents put their burden of expectations on their kids. There is a reason why high expectations Asian parents is a stereotype.

And not only school, these poor kids later have to attend various classes for studies and for other activities. I know parents who make their kids attend 3 different classes. One for study (because obviously teachers in schools can teach for squat, according to them) and other two for sports or painting, dancing, singing... well, you got the drift.
Direct consequence of the previous predicament.

Our new minister wants to start few more IITs? Fine. But who will enroll in those? Wouldn't their situation be similar to existing IITs? It won't solve the problem. It will only make it worse.
It means more deserving kids get to go to IIT. I don't know why people think the quality will come down. These are not your run of the mill night school orgs.

This brings forth a very important point. Why these things aren't thought in school itself? I know I would've wanted to spent more time in school if this was the case (I know I'm obviously ignoring issues like lack of real estate which leads to schools without a small ground let alone a swimming pool). Why are we so focused on kid's marks in exams and why parents keep comparing their kids to other's?
A lack of resources again. leads to over sized class rooms and no time for anything beyond what the curriculum states and some times not even that. The system seems geared more to wards the administration than the students.

Isn't that one of the problems which has put us in this situation? Each and every government focusing on short term goals? I know it is a very hard work to change mentality of entire society, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps in that direction.
Short termism. if we don't watch for that there won't be a longer term.

Education will be a casualty in such a situation. But i'm still waiting to see hopefully what comes out. What new ideas they can try which were not done before.

Back