The Indian Politics Thread

Interesting article on a difficult subject. Manmohan years were not the most peaceful but as peaceful as the Nehru years, which is our baseline.

1406771723-820_per-100-000.png

So what explains the drop in riots between 1998 - 2004 ? almost halved.

That period saw a drop from nearly 10 to little under 6 incidents per 1 lakh population. It was then sustained from there on during the manmohan era. So is it feasible to expect a further reduction from the present rate.

Last edited:
^^I guess they are called doctored videos 0nly when AAP goons gets caught doing the naughty things on camera. :p But this is AAP we are talking about (and despite how frustrated they are for want of publicity and their power back) as everybody knows, honesty is the first name of everybody in AAP. :p

Jokes aside, There is a very high chance that video is just as legit as the videos regarding AAP leaders in the past even if BJP wants to claim that they are doctored just like AAP did in the past. There is no doubt that this is corruption in play. Its probably just like people voting for money.

But what is interesting to know would be the legality of this whole thing considering that AAP claimed to have filed an FIR.
If you look at scandal regarding Ilmi, taking a bribe to confer unfair advantage to a business entity or crippling another by abuse of power is definitely illegal, but would buying out an MLA treated as illegal? I think there was one another sting like this from Karnataka where though it was publicized, but there was no legal action taken. I guess its the same as people voting for money. Can a person currently be prosecuted for taking money to cast vote for a particular party? There is no doubt that voting for money is also corruption, but there simply is no legal framework to take action and I guess this also falls under the same category.

Another interesting thing to find out would be what AAP has promised to this MLA to make him switch sides back to AAP. Just a look at the election time affidavits of AAP leaders shows that most of the guys handpicked by this AAP are first rate rogues and criminals and even more so than BJP or congress and they work only to gain money, power or both. So, I hardly think that the expose came out because the MLA is filled to the brim with honesty. Considering that AAP seems to have hoarded considerable amounts of money, they have either bought his loyalty back with a much higher price than that offered by BJP or they gave him some other incentive for it.

Last edited:
^^I guess they are called doctored videos 0nly when AAP goons gets caught doing the naughty things on camera. :p But this is AAP we are talking about (and despite how frustrated they are for want of publicity and their power back) as everybody knows, honesty is the first name of everybody in AAP. :p

Jokes aside, There is a very high chance that video is just as legit as the videos regarding AAP leaders in the past even if BJP wants to claim that they are doctored just like AAP did in the past. There is no doubt that this is corruption in play. Its probably just like people voting for money.

But what is interesting to know would be the legality of this whole thing considering that AAP claimed to have filed an FIR.
If you look at scandal regarding Ilmi, taking a bribe to confer unfair advantage to a business entity or crippling another by abuse of power is definitely illegal, but would buying out an MLA treated as illegal? I think there was one another sting like this from Karnataka where though it was publicized, but there was no legal action taken. I guess its the same as people voting for money. Can a person currently be prosecuted for taking money to cast vote for a particular party? There is no doubt that voting for money is also corruption, but there simply is no legal framework to take action and I guess this also falls under the same category.

Another interesting thing to find out would be what AAP has promised to this MLA to make him switch sides back to AAP. Just a look at the election time affidavits of AAP leaders shows that most of the guys handpicked by this AAP are first rate rogues and criminals and even more so than BJP or congress and they work only to gain money, power or both. So, I hardly think that the expose came out because the MLA is filled to the brim with honesty. Considering that AAP seems to have hoarded considerable amounts of money, they have either bought his loyalty back with a much higher price than that offered by BJP or they gave him some other incentive for it.
The guy on the tape has confirmed its him in the press conference. You can clearly see his face, hear his voice. AAP doesnt do this crap. They are above this shit. It wouldnt make any sense for them to doctor the tape and present it. They are submitting the tape in tomorrow's Supreme court hearing.

Just to show you their confidence -> https://twitter.com/ArvindKejriwal/status/508897520789897216

Even BJP is also not defending the guy and they shut down their site for a time and removed all his references and pics

:D

The guy on the tape has confirmed its him in the press conference. You can clearly see his face, hear his voice. AAP doesnt do this crap. They are above this shit. It wouldnt make any sense for them to doctor the tape and present it. They are submitting the tape in tomorrow's Supreme court hearing.

Just to show you their confidence -> https://twitter.com/ArvindKejriwal/status/508897520789897216

I already said that it is very likely that its just as authentic as the videos about Ilmi and other AAP stings. Regardless of what the parties claim, they most often are. All political parties are crooked and BJP was never an exception. Its just that its only AAP that has enough lunatics within their ranks that would have the audacity to call something doctored even when evidence hits them in the face.

And yeah, I think you are underestimating AAP too much if you think they can't put in false evidence. In this particular case, they might not need it, but they can just as surely doctor evidence if that's required. Look at the election time affidavits of people chosen by AAP and see how many number of them have made bogus declarations. Heck, many of them declared that that the total worth of their assets is under 1000Rs. Some guy even declared 100 Rs as his assets.

Buying out voters both polititcians seems to be a pretty normal occurrence in politics and no party would like to bring in any proper legislation against it. In A.P., that's what politicians like Jagan did. They bought both voters as well as the politicians with money and that how he won enough seats to sit in the opposition.

Anyways, I am not sure if anything can be done about this legally. There is no changing the fact that its one of the ugly faces of corruption, but what can it be called from a legal angle? Its not abuse of power for sure. It would have been if he had been in a position of power and used his power to threaten or coerce him into giving him support. He offered money for his support, but then most politicians switch parties with similar kind of incentives. Parties themselves often take money to give a ticket. AAP themselves have obviously done both. So, how can a court tackle this from a legal angle?

NEW DELHI: Wholesale Price Index (WPI) for the month of August shrunk to a five-year low of 3.74% versus 5.19% in July. This is much below an ET Now poll of 4.4%.

The August WPI inflation is the lowest since October 2009 when it stood at 1.8 per cent. The WPI for June has been revised to 5.6% versus 5.43% earlier.

The primary articles inflation dipped to 3.89% in August versus 6.78% in July. The manufactured products inflation came in at 3.45% versus 3.67% in July. The food ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

All these WPI and other indexes are useless to common people, unless you see prices in market decreasing. Don't see that happening here, at least not yet.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...r-Jayalalithaa-party/articleshow/43626619.cms

Jayalatitha found guilty in disproportionate assets case. Though I have to say that the figures cited is like small change compared to the actual figures. Her assets were in the same scales as that Gali Janardhan reddy. She owns gold and silver in Quintals. When I visited Kodai kanal, I heard that she has a bunglow there in which she has a bath tub made of gold. More importantly, its a bath tub that could accommodate her at the size she was 18 years back. :eek:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...r-Jayalalithaa-party/articleshow/43626619.cms

Jayalatitha found guilty in disproportionate assets case. Though I have to say that the figures cited is like small change compared to the actual figures. Her assets were in the same scales as that Gali Janardhan reddy. She owns gold and silver in Quintals. When I visited Kodai kanal, I heard that she has a bunglow there in which she has a bath tub made of gold. More importantly, its a bath tub that could accommodate her at the size she was 18 years back. :eek:
However, there is no threat to the party government as AIADMK has a solid majority of 150 seats in the 234-member assembly.
main point

The conviction of AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa in the 18 year-old disproportionate assets case has come as a rude shock to the ruling party ahead of the 2016 assembly polls.
Given the alternative could the people could be forgiving. She has do good work till then. Gain their forgiveness.

Anyway this is all sideshow stuff, the real deal will be Oct 15 :D

Will the maratis surprise us or not.

You think SS and BJP will not be together after results? That's cute.

This is what I think will happen.
No party will have clear majority. SS and BJP will form Govt. CM will be of SS.

Back