The iPad Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not falling into that accessories honey-trap anymore. The darn accessories market is a big leecher, like soft drinks, fries at McD's. For iPad, a folio stand/case is a must, so that's basically the same position as a laptop. Again keyboard missing, its inconvinient to tap the screen while the tab is standing, no-where to rest the hand. Ok comes to terms with it somehow, then you start feeling the need for a keyboard, I mean the lsit is unending....

While lying down on bed too, I did not find working on a Tab comfortable, so where to use it! Please tell me what all you do on your tab to keep busy? I simply can't figure out what to do!

Im not falling into that accessories honey-trap anymore. The darn accessories market is a big leecher, like soft drinks, fries at McD's. For iPad, a folio stand/case is a must, so that's basically the same position as a laptop. Again keyboard missing, its inconvinient to tap the screen while the tab is standing, no-where to rest the hand. Ok comes to terms with it somehow, then you start feeling the need for a keyboard, I mean the lsit is unending....

While lying down on bed too, I did not find working on a Tab comfortable, so where to use it! Please tell me what all you do on your tab to keep busy? I simply can't figure out what to do!

For starters, i found myself using my laptop a lot less after i came home in the evening. I have my iPad ON full time so i just pick it up and do my work and put back in. Yes multitasking is not that convenient as in a laptop but for most of my non productive tasks like web browsing, forums, sometimes videos or searching something, tablet works pretty well for me.
Tablet might not work for everyone and is not really a replacement for laptop in its current state unless you buy accessories like keyboard etc which essentially means you trying to convert your tablet to a laptop.

Getting a wifi ipad and using spice 410 to make a hotspot and using net on ipad.Is it wise enough idea?

The phone can be kept on charger.I am just looking to save some bucks.

Feasible or bad idea?

I've been doing something similar. I'm using my mobile phone as my Ipad's external drive. I store stuff like music, videos on my mobile phone's memory card and then copy it through WIFI whenever i want. Your phone needs to have the Wifi hotspot feature for this to work...

Now coming to multitasking in browsers .Can a person use it like say cnbc working in a screen and in second screen use for trading.

Now coming to multitasking in browsers .Can a person use it like say cnbc working in a screen and in second screen use for trading.

iPad as we know provides faux multitasking as in, the other app sort of freezes in background (from what i know). I suggest you try the quasar jailbreak tweak to have two apps open simultaneously on screen and working on both of them. I have done this but not for the productive purposes like yours but playing video in one and using safari / chrome in other. I will try to upload a screenshot for you by evening if possible. But just hit youtube and check out quasar for iPad videos.

Edit: I just re-read your post, you asked "within browser"? If so then do you mean keeping 2 tabs opened, one CNBC and other trading ? If yes then it is possible and works as it would on any laptop or any tablet for that matter.

Yes for multiple browser windows I've installed 2-3 different browsers like Chrome, etc.

Rak, glad to know the type of usage you do. I will try too. Do tell what else you do with iPad ? Asking because I could not figure out what to do on it! How about games, does it play good ones & how are the controls?

iPad as we know provides faux multitasking as in, the other app sort of freezes in background (from what i know). I suggest you try the quasar jailbreak tweak to have two apps open simultaneously on screen and working on both of them. I have done this but not for the productive purposes like yours but playing video in one and using safari / chrome in other. I will try to upload a screenshot for you by evening if possible. But just hit youtube and check out quasar for iPad videos.

Edit: I just re-read your post, you asked "within browser"? If so then do you mean keeping 2 tabs opened, one CNBC and other trading ? If yes then it is possible and works as it would on any laptop or any tablet for that matter.

Thanks will check.I know about faux multitasking but for trading both should run simultaneously so as ,as soon as share is said on news a erson can buy it via his login so he can earn a minimum 1% margin.

Now a person with 16 gb ipad stating me to get one 16 gb model and for storage use NAS via wifi.Even if that looks ok.Can i stream via wifi,Like say contents on NAS say 14gb movie.And i stream it trouble free on ipad via Nas.

Is that possible too?

Yes for multiple browser windows I've installed 2-3 different browsers like Chrome, etc.

Rak, glad to know the type of usage you do. I will try too. Do tell what else you do with iPad ? Asking because I could not figure out what to do on it! How about games, does it play good ones & how are the controls?

Not really into gaming so i almost never play games on the iPad. The tweak i mentioned (quasar) is something i have installed but i don't use it. It is buggy and sometimes crashes the app.
The way iPad has worked for me is that i do not use my laptop to do stuff i used to do earlier. Like here if i want to check news on NDTV or TOI website, i don't need to open the laptop, iPad works well.
For forums, i have tapatalk HD installed which works very well IMO. For normal internet browsing and searching i use chrome / safari browser. For emails, one can have emails to be pushed to your device but i have not kept that On so i check it the usual way of logging on the web version.
At night my time, i many a times have call with my offshore team and i need to explain them some stuff which i have already emailed them, in such cases, i don't need to pickup my laptop as i open my company email (web based) on my iPad and get along with my work.
I check my Bank account details and transactions on iPad as they have dedicated apps for the same. It is very convenient.

On the other hand if i have some serious productivity task to do and something which requires extensive keyboard use, i always prefer laptop as i am never comfortable with tablet keyboards. It lacks that tactile feedback that i want. And i am not going to invest in those little bluetooth keyboards made specifically for iPad.

Haven't the prices of the New iPad 16GB wifi+Cellular fallen at some retailers?? Strangely Croma and a few others are still selling it at 38.9k, but i could have sworn i had seen a few 36.5k deals somewhere

Apple The new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB Black | eBay

MIstake from the seller?He has 3 listing of same at 3 different prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't the prices of the New iPad 16GB wifi+Cellular fallen at some retailers?? Strangely Croma and a few others are still selling it at 38.9k, but i could have sworn i had seen a few 36.5k deals somewhere

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Apple-new-iPad-Wi-Fi-4G-16GB-/330795913948?pt=IN_iPads_Tablets&hash=item4d04f912dc

Much cheaper than 36.5k

Apple The new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB Black | eBay

MIstake from the seller?He has 3 listing of same at 3 different prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Apple The new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G 16GB | eBay

Much cheaper than 36.5k

Trouble with Ebay is that of late there have been several complaints about their powersellers and with fake bills etc. Also I have no idea if Apple will truly provide warranty for purchases from these guys.. Some may not be actual retailers or genuine dealers & may just give you any ordinary bill. How does that work out for warranty??

Never bought anything from ebay before so am not clear on the specifics.

Trouble with Ebay is that of late there have been several complaints about their powersellers and with fake bills etc. Also I have no idea if Apple will truly provide warranty for purchases from these guys.. Some may not be actual retailers or genuine dealers & may just give you any ordinary bill. How does that work out for warranty??

Never bought anything from ebay before so am not clear on the specifics.
Well Apple warranty is mostly serial base.

Agreed i havent bought anything exensive than 5000 from Ebay.But I do have receive bils with vat numbers and all.Also it mentions manufactuer warranty rather than seller warranty whic one need to look.Also 7 day return policy hence as soon as product come you can check online about apple warranty and if its shows positive than keep it else return.
The thing i like about ebay is one can always check with various sellers.Recently i got a laser printer from Ebay from Madhya pradesh(i stay in mumbai).I got it for some 4785 delivered at home by DHL with almost 365 rupees octroi paid.The same available through local market at 5200 or cheapest at 4850.But than again getting cab and bringing it home would had cost me 5000.Here i get home delivered that too via dhl at much cheaper rates.

Its all about local tax structures in some states electronics are on vat at 5% rate whereas in some other its 12.5%.Hence i got it cheaper even after paying octroi.

Go in for Belking leather folio or Targus Versavu, both are good cases.

Belking would cost ~1800/-, Targus ~2300/-.

Guys can anyone suggest best place to buy iPad online for least price and preferably on EMI's 12 months

Croma offers the 12month EMI. But they're selling at the 38.9k price.

Check these out on Homeshop 18..

Apple iPad 3 16GB (Wifi + 4G) - White . Buy Best Apple iPad 3 16GB (Wifi + 4G) - White at Lowest Price Online

apparently you get a 2k off if you use the voucher code.. in effect.. it will be 36.9k. You also have EMI options but for shorter durations i think

I managed to buy 16gb 4g white iPad for 36 with emi when eBay was running that 3500 promo.
That was cheapest and took 3 emi of hdfc.

Effectively I got discount on model which was no covered by eBay.

Thanks ebay.

Didn't quite follow what you meant.. is it worth it from Ebay or not? because at 34k odd on their current offer, its pretty attractive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back