The iPhone 5 thread

@Zero Cool

I believe the 3D maps is not there for India at all. Even google does not have it right ? I am not talking about the google earth type 3D (for India) which is sort of faux with few animated 3D building (similar to what sygic shows). The real 3D stuff that google too has introduced is only in some countries, not all and India is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero Cool

I believe the 3D maps is not there for India at all. Even google does not have it right ? I am not talking about the google earth type 3D (for India) which is sort of faux with few animated 3D building (similar to what sygic shows). The real 3D stuff that google too has introduced is only in some countries, not all and India is not one of them.

Yes, I just noticed that over here: Apple - iOS 6 Feature Availability

^^ Pity about the Maps app. But what exactly is wrong with Panorama? Can you post a pic of what exactly is wrong if used on an iPhone4/4S?

Also one more thing that ensures apple gets sales every year is repeat business. This is primarily because of how well they have synced their Mac and iOS systems that people using both apple products in PC and mobile department have a sort of fear that they might lose the ability of seamless integration between their devices. I am not saying it is difficult to do on windows or anything but apple has got people habituated with that.
I see people popping threads on macrumors etc saying "i bought a S3 how can i sync with my mac the way i did my iPhone" and such.

iPhone is seriously a good phone if you use it and know how to extract the maximum out of it (jailbreak and such). Just that in comparison of other devices like Samsung S3 and Lumias it fails in the hardware department. And yes never base the opinion based on fiddling with the phone for 10 minutes at a store or borrow from a friend.

I seriously like android but its experience on older devices was crappy (i hope everyone agrees) but today things have changed (for good) with JB and all. The reason google had to standup and implement their project butter was because people compared the UI usability with iOS which is relatively lag free.

Also one more thing that ensures apple gets sales every year is repeat business. This is primarily because of how well they have synced their Mac and iOS systems that people using both apple products in PC and mobile department have a sort of fear that they might lose the ability of seamless integration between their devices. I am not saying it is difficult to do on windows or anything but apple has got people habituated with that.
I see people popping threads on macrumors etc saying "i bought a S3 how can i sync with my mac the way i did my iPhone" and such.

iPhone is seriously a good phone if you use it and know how to extract the maximum out of it (jailbreak and such). Just that in comparison of other devices like Samsung S3 and Lumias it fails in the hardware department. And yes never base the opinion based on fiddling with the phone for 10 minutes at a store or borrow from a friend.

I seriously like android but its experience on older devices was crappy (i hope everyone agrees) but today things have changed (for good) with JB and all. The reason google had to standup and implement their project butter was because people compared the UI usability with iOS which is relatively lag free.

I agree. Also the need for the better proccy and all in android is to make it lag/crash free. Since ios is stable enough y would they just bump the specs ? Its just like i wud rather buy i3/i5 for my daily multimedia needs and not spend much on i7 when i have no need of it. hope u guys catch the wave. :lol:
And talking about the screen size samsung/htc sell ample no. of fones of different sizes which can cater to all type of ppl. (giant hands like me can get S3/S2, smallish ones settle on htc desire / explorer types ) but apple releases just one fone and it has to suit everyone's preference hence they play a safe game.

I am no fanboy but I really love the look and feel of iphone and would love to own it provided i have cash BUT i am very happy with my htc vivid white. :yahoo:

The 849$ for 16GB is most probably wrong. Something like GBP to USD conversion (529 GBP is little more than 850 USD). I feel that prices will be mostly 649/749/849 $ for 16/32/64 GB models.

On a side note, i had never even touched an iPhone until last year November when i bought one for my wife. I was also in the apple hate group saying it is closed and all things. All this I said without even using iOS or iPhone. But after i got one for my wife, i myself started fiddling with it. Jailbroke it and a whole world of opportunity opens. I really loved the form factor, feel and quality of the phone and apps. May be all this was because i came from a sub par ZTE blade with a laggy OS. But as i used it more i felt it to be a good phone for "MY" needs. I used to be someone who would change ROMs on blade and always had modaco open on his browser but later on got tired of all that. Wanted something that is stable and works for me. So eventually i decided to get an iPhone for myself.
Now i am eyeing the auctions on ebay.com for used iPhone 4S. Looking to spend under 350$ for that. Lets see how it goes.

Zero Cool

Apple Maps - Traffic, 3D Buildings, Turn by Turn is NOT available in India.
Siri - Sports, Twitter, Local Search, Restaurant Information, Restaurant Reviews/Reservations, Movie Info/Showtimes - NOT available in India

Google provides all of this in India!

Apple Maps - Traffic, 3D Buildings, Turn by Turn is NOT available in India.
Siri - Sports, Twitter, Local Search, Restaurant Information, Restaurant Reviews/Reservations, Movie Info/Showtimes - NOT available in India

Google provides all of this in India!

Google is in maps business since many many years.
Apple just came into it an year back.
Make fair comparisons.

iPhone 5 Unlocked Price Announced: Where to Buy
Hope this is not true,Can any member in usa can shed some info on the prices

I agree. Also the need for the better proccy and all in android is to make it lag/crash free. Since ios is stable enough y would they just bump the specs ? Its just like i wud rather buy i3/i5 for my daily multimedia needs and not spend much on i7 when i have no need of it. hope u guys catch the wave. :lol:
And talking about the screen size samsung/htc sell ample no. of fones of different sizes which can cater to all type of ppl. (giant hands like me can get S3/S2, smallish ones settle on htc desire / explorer types ) but apple releases just one fone and it has to suit everyone's preference hence they play a safe game.

I am no fanboy but I really love the look and feel of iphone and would love to own it provided i have cash BUT i am very happy with my htc vivid white. :yahoo:

My friends always complains how his iPhone lags after jailbreak! It even lagged after increasing number of icons or dashboard or something like that.

My friends always complains how his iPhone lags after jailbreak! It even lagged after increasing number of icons or dashboard or something like that.

iPhone 4 jailbroken with infinifolders tweak (so lots of icons per folder) and on iOS 5.1.1. Does not lag for me.

Google is in maps business since many many years.
Apple just came into it an year back.
Make fair comparisons.

I'm not comparing. And Apple just bought TomTom which were in business since long.

- - - Updated - - -

iPhone 4 jailbroken with infinifolders tweak (so lots of icons per folder) and on iOS 5.1.1. Does not lag for me.

You are lucky then I guess. And as far as being tired of flashing custom roms is concerned, I have been Nexus since 3 months on stock ROM. It does not lag at all. I switched from to nexus from ZTE Blade & S2 .

I'm not comparing. And Apple just bought TomTom which were in business since long.

TomTom in itself too does not have India maps so evidently apple does not have them. Else there would have been Tom Tom India too. I hope it comes though. I love tomtom in USA.
When we have Sygic, Navigon and iGO for India, why not tomtom.

OK here's my take on this thing:

- It lacks NFC. Most smartphones seem to have it nowadays and I was honestly expecting Apple to pull off something remarkable here like Lumia 920's wireless charging/music sreaming but it failed. Props to Nokia!

- It has a 4" display as was rumored but lacks the 720p resolution. Again, most current-gen. devices have it although it may not be really required for such a small screen. Not increasing the width of the display so one can hold it with one hand and type is just plain bullshit! I am not sure how many users would actually type using one hand (and do what with the other one?).

- The anodized Alu. back is a good addition. Something I really like about Apple devices - their build quality always speak for themselves and have stood out among the crowd. When you spend close to 40k for a device, you expect it to have a good build quality. Case in question - the Galaxy devices (barring the GNex). Somehow all the Samsung Galaxy devices (no offense to SG users!) launched till date were simply sucky in terms of build quality - thin or unbreakable they may be but definitely plasticky. OTOH, the very same company brought out the Omnia W with a brushed Alu. battery cover and that phone somehow impressed me with the build quality.

- The new 'Lightning' connector is an unwanted and a useless addition to the device (and the other new devices announced) and another way of milking the unwary customers by Apple and other third-party manufacturers for docks, adapters, converters and cables. Dealextreme/Focalprice may come up with cheaper alternatives though. They say the connector is reversible which they could have implemented with the previous cable/connector itself. Instead they chose to introduce a new smaller connector and cable and move the 3.5 mm TRS jack to the bottom to compensate for the extra space! For folks who use any previous gen Apple device like the iPods, iPads (I have an iPad 2), there will be an extra cable on the desk and they will have to lug around an extra cable with the charger. What a pain!

- Battery life - impressive as always. Apple outsmarts other players quite easily in this aspect.

- Innards - the A6 (dual core Cortex A15?) chip which seem to have improved the overall performance of the device as claimed by Anand and other folks who've had some hands-on with the device on the launch day. The 4S was incredibly smooth and there were no lags when using applications and games, and the web pages loaded faster. This is another aspect I love about Apple - the OOTB experience is remarkably good and wouldn't want the user to fiddle around with ROMs, kernels and other things to make certain apps. work properly. The Windows Phone is also an equally good contender in this aspect. When my colleague got hold of a HTC HD 7 last year from Thailand, I was taken aback by the device with the GUI, features and other aspects. That was the first time I used a WP phone after all the hoopla that WP had amassed and on that day I decided, my next phone is going to be a WP phone or the next iPhone.

- Nanosim slot - this is another pain in the posterior especially for us Indian consumers. Not all the telecom. operators may be willing to issue nano-sims. Besides, micro-sims (or mini-sims) cannot be cut into nano-sims because they are thinner although the effective dimensions of the contacts are the same. There may be Chinese nano-sim cutters available in the market in a few days' time (may be out by now!), I doubt if it would work on the new device. This was an unwarranted move. As such, I presume the revenue from Indian markets is fairly low compared to other markets so I guess Apple wouldn't pay much heed here nor to launch the device on time. For one, their business proposition wouldn't work in a country like ours where sastha sundar tikau plans are available for the masses.

- Camera - not many improvements from the previous device barring the front cam which is 720p (which is meh when most high-end devices have at least a 1MP front cam). And the sapphire crystal cam surface at the back. I assume it was plain glass before.

- Bundled earpods - Apple has reinvented the wheel once again! And looks like they have put in quite a lot of efforts to come up with the current design like testing several ear designs with prototypes! What they could have done instead is to bundle a nice pair of IEMs from an OEM such as Fostex and a bunch of pads and cushions to go along with it. FWIW, the previous earphones were manufactured by Fostex.

So looks like the event wasn't all that impressive. With Steve Jobs gone, looks like innovation and improvements have taken a backseat. I am in two minds now. My 3 year old iPhone 3G died a week back and I am currently using a Nokia 101 as the backup. For a device worth 1500 Rs., the features are impressive. It is a dual SIM phone, has a mSD slot that supports upto 16GB (I've put a Sandisk 8GB card into the slot) with a basic music player that supports shuffle and repeat but no SQ tweaks, a torch, a 3.5 mm TRS jack and a 1020 mAh battery that lasts me at least 4 days before the charge dies out! The new iPhone is a definitive upgrade for someone like me who has been on an age old device since the last 3 years. OTOH, Nokia 920 is another device which might be worth considering but I am not sure where Nokia is headed. It is going to be either the iPhone 5 or the Lumia 920 for me and my intention would be to purchase the device locally. Apple has an added advantage with the customer support and the Apple Care+ plan which would extend the warranty for the next 2 years. Only time will tell.

OK here's my take on this thing:

- It lacks NFC. Most smartphones seem to have it nowadays

...Only time will tell.
Finally a single post which is unbiased and has no nonsense stuff or has stupid love/hate towards Apple.

But Nokia Lumia 900 users will be so pissed, since they can't get WP8. So what's guaranty that Nokia Lumia 920 will get WP Next ?

Back