The iPhone 5 thread

Seriously raks, you seem to be one of them now :bleh:

If owning iOS devices makes me fanboi then i am. But my reasons for buying iOS device is not because i am loyal to apple or anything but only because the device fulfills my needs. I have an android too which i use so i do like android and i would have no qualms if i were to move to android again. Just that what i have seen lately is that since the time samsung has been proved to copy (as per court), there is sort of mass sympathy wave for samsung which has actually translated into blind hate against apple. Seems like everyone has taken that loss in court personally as if we have ourselves lost.
At the end of the day it is just a phone and i guess it is in best interest of this forum that we can have healthy discussion about them but not attack / defend each other. These companies will anyhow will leech us by giving us these expensive phones.

But yes the ad definitely highlights the weaknesses of the iPhone 5.

raks I was referring to you defending everything about the iPhone.
I own a Note and before that a Blade which I enjoyed using thanks to a ton of your tips on that thread.

It just seems that as soon as anyone buys an iPhone they are never ready to admit its short comings. Something that Android fanbois are surprisingly willing to do (bash things that suck in Android).

As for sympathy for Samsung. Only Samsung loyalists are sympathetic (or apple HATERS). Apple fanbois will rarely admit to the fact that the last couple of versions of iOS have borrowed heavily from Android/Windows Phone/Symbian. Just look at the things that Apple won their case against Samsung for. Most of them are ridiculous. Rectangle with rounder corners, Grid like display, etc..

@dafreaking

What you are saying is right. May people who like apple products are not willing to admit its caveats. I like apple products but yes it has it share of shortcomings, no doubt about that. But the reason i am going with iOS devices as of now is because it is fulfilling my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
@dafreaking

What you are saying is right. May people who like apple products are not willing to admit its caveats. I like apple products but yes it has it share of shortcomings, no doubt about that. But the reason i am going with iOS devices as of now is because it is fulfilling my needs.

This is exactly what many people who bash iPhones don't understand.
Please understand that 90% of the people don't use their phones whether its an iPhone or Android for more than calling, texting and since data services have become cheaper, for checking emails and socializing( facebook, whatsapp and the likes).

For all these both platforms are mature enough. Hell i who runs my entire business from a phone, cant find much difference between an Android and an iPhone.

People don't realize that these companies have to come up with the terms revolutionary, groundbreaking, etc otherwise no one will even look at their products. In todays world even a good product needs good marketing to sell.
Yes the iPhone might seem mediocre when you compare it spec-to-spec with the flagship Android phones, but the important question is whether it delivers the performance or not.
I always favor the design philosophy where form follows function. The only thing that i am not liking about the way Android is evolving is that manufacturers are only pushing towards more powerful and beefier hardware which is resulting in poorer battery life by the day.
With my kinda usage my S2 used to last only 7-8 hrs. The 4s is not much good either but still 12 hr battery life is more manageable.
I really like the fact that despite the public pressure Apple decide to come up with their own hybrid architecture just like what Qualcomm did with Krait which gives comparable real world performance as the quads without compromising on the battery life.

#dafreaking - if you point out someones shortcomings to their face, do you think they will take it lightly. It's basic psychology 101.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw one thing i want to say, Apple Fked up big time with new Maps app on iOS 6, at least for us who live in India. People who use google maps on iOS should not upgrade to iOS 6 (thus downgrading maps). For India, i feel the maps will be a joke. I have not checked it personally but if someone has then please enlighten us on how it is. And i have no hopes of a dedicated Google maps coming to iOS ever. Will have to do with the web based maps which works pretty well (touchwood).

For me, nokia drive was the best navigation software i have used till date.
No need of constant data and since it is a Nokia phone and not an Android phone, the battery used to last the while day despite it telling directions all day long without the need of a car charger.

The ad has "desperate" written everywhere. They are trying the project that old people use iPhones while the new generation uses S3 and for some reason it feels that they think iPhone users are fools but the ad clearly wants people using iPhones to move to Samsung products which means Samsung thinks their potential customers are fools. Now that not good.

Also I did read somewhere (obviously no one posted that here) about Samsung asking on their Facebook page what is the one electronic gadget they would want to have on a deserted island and most of the replies were iPhone. :p

Wait, which ads are we discussing here?

Buy a Mac (15 Ads in 1 Pack) HQ - YouTube

The only thing that i am not liking about the way Android is evolving is that manufacturers are only pushing towards more powerful and beefier hardware which is resulting in poorer battery life by the day.

#dafreaking - if you point out someones shortcomings to their face, do you think they will take it lightly. It's basic psychology 101.

Yes, but Android fans/users are more willing to admit the shortcomings of Android as compared to iOS users and iOS

Btw one thing i want to say, Apple Fked up big time with new Maps app on iOS 6, at least for us who live in India. People who use google maps on iOS should not upgrade to iOS 6 (thus downgrading maps). For India, i feel the maps will be a joke. I have not checked it personally but if someone has then please enlighten us on how it is. And i have no hopes of a dedicated Google maps coming to iOS ever. Will have to do with the web based maps which works pretty well (touchwood).

No Doubts there! The new map app just does not have enough businesses listed for Kolkata. That's regressive.

After the update today the display (Auto Brightness Adjust = OFF) suddenly went dark and wouldn't correct itself. >(

On another note: Moved from Wave 8500 on bada -> Galaxy S2 on ICS -> iPhone 4S - I am so happy with the iPhone.

The same apps (or atleast the ones I care about) are much more polished and sophisticated on iOS. In terms of feel not functionality.
The only app which is useless for me is Youtube. It just doesn't buffer fast enough on the same wifi connection on which S2 had no issues.

Good -
Absolutely no crashes of any kind on iOS. Got tired of tinkering around with ROMs and doing absolutely useless stuff on Android. The itch has been taken care of.
Extremely simple to sync with iTunes. No Kies, No manual copy paste.
Camera (shutter speeds) etc are way better than S2.
Music/Podcasts easier to manage. Used Poweramp and Podkicker on Android. They are great but fall just short.

Bad -
Watching videos strains the eye a little bit more. Bigger screen on the S2 definitely a Plus.
Scratch Magnet.
Siri is not very useful when it cannot do location searches.

I did not mind the S2's build quality (exterior). But was seriously pissed with call quality and ability to pick up wifi signals which were poor compared to Samsung Wave. In 15 months the screen died w/o any physical abuse OR liquid damage which made me switch to Apple (fingers crossed - I want this phone to last as long as possible).

The ad has "desperate" written everywhere. They are trying the project that old people use iPhones while the new generation uses S3 and for some reason it feels that they think iPhone users are fools but the ad clearly wants people using iPhones to move to Samsung products which means Samsung thinks their potential customers are fools. Now that not good.

Also I did read somewhere (obviously no one posted that here) about Samsung asking on their Facebook page what is the one electronic gadget they would want to have on a deserted island and most of the replies were iPhone. :p

I've been noticing this trend in all the Samsung ads. I get it that they want to gain more market share among the young consumer base but there's no need to insult the older people for no reason. And I feel all of their ad characters are either arrogant or showoff which is not always true for the current young generation. Somehow, most of the ads of electronic gadgets (from all vendors) are getting lamer day by day. :|

Ahh! The uncle-aunty rival ads bothering you too ;)

Right from Shows on MTV UTV to ads on T20 etc professing badtameezi and passing it off as cool. Reliance and Airtel ads are irritating.

Years ago there was an Ericsson ad when mobiles came out, set in a restaurant, ends with a lady saying "one black coffee please" to a middle aged guy. If it was original it was brilliant.

Yes it was an original Ad and won many awards too...

This thread is slowly going OT/ios vs android as with almost every apple related thread...

Hmm..

got my first iphone 5!

34zenuu.jpg

Apple iPhone 5 - Unlocked *First on eBay* Pre-Book | eBay

2 Sold :scared14: @ 85K

[FONT=georgia, serif]SHIPPING WILL BE DONE AFTER 25th October [/FONT][FONT=georgia, serif](3-4 weeks of Pre-Order time on Apple)[/FONT][FONT=georgia, serif]on First come-First Serve basis![/FONT][FONT=georgia, serif]We have limited pieces for now...[/FONT]Please do not call us for more discounts except BULK purchase (min. 3 units).[FONT=georgia, serif]We already have other customers ready to buy at this price, but we are selling [/FONT][FONT=georgia, serif]on First-come-First-Serve basis...[/FONT][FONT=georgia, serif]Please do not expect shipping before 30th October as the delivery date is 21st October [/FONT][FONT=georgia, serif]and it would take some time to bring it to India.[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]
[/FONT]

Apple iPhone 5 - Unlocked *First on eBay* Pre-Book | eBay

2 Sold :scared14: @ 85K

SHIPPING WILL BE DONE AFTER 25th October (3-4 weeks of Pre-Order time on Apple)on First come-First Serve basis!We have limited pieces for now...Please do not call us for more discounts except BULK purchase (min. 3 units).We already have other customers ready to buy at this price, but we are selling on First-come-First-Serve basis...Please do not expect shipping before 30th October as the delivery date is 21st October and it would take some time to bring it to India.

How the heck can it be so expensive...? I was thinking it would max. out to 50K...tops.

Back