The "LOST" Discussion Thread.(((Spoiler Alert)))

Bluffmaster

Skilled
"Because You Left" and "The Lie" Instant Reactions!

Wow. I did not see all that coming. In my head, I was feeling pretty confident going into this season that I had an idea about where it was going. In my head, I was trying to keep the concepts of time travel fairly reasonable (and as pseudo-sciencey as possible). In my head, it was complicated but manageable.

Leave it to Lost to totally blow my confidence out of the water and present us with one of the most complicated episodes of television ever produced.

Let's just start to wrap our minds around what happened in these two hours...

* Characters on the Island traveling back and forth in time unpredicatably.

* Some characters on the Island remembering things, others not so much.

* The audience having vague concepts of the general timeframe of each jump, but not specific enough to know if we just saw the characters visit two, three, or four different time periods.

* No one being clear on the rules of these time jumps, aside from Faraday and perhaps Richard Alpert - neither of which had time to fully explain this episode.

So what are we left with? A lot of analyzing to do!

The crazy thing is that I think we got enough information to work through a lot of answers, including some answers to questions that have been posed over the first four seasons of the show. I need some time to digest, but here is the traditional spewing of random thoughts to tide you over and pique your interests for the next few days...

* Is Charlotte suffering the same "sickness" that killed Minkowski (and almost Desmond?) Is it because she was on the Island before (as a child) and left, but returned on a different bearing? Or is it because she doesn't have a Constant? Could this be the same "illness" that killed all of CFL's crew? But CFL was somehow spared because she had Alex to act as her Constant?

* If Desmond is the only one immune to the effects of the Island jumping in time and wiping out memories, is he screwing up the space-time continuum by suddenly having the ability to actually change the past?

* Who the F is Ms. Hawking? I definitely got the vibe that she is some type of "The Matrix"-esque Oracle character who is trying to prevent the end of the world, mucked up by Desmond changing the past. Is this why she was so adamant about him not marrying Penny and just staying put on the Island?

* Who was the Jill character that Ben left Locke's body with? An Other that he is BFF with from back in the day? Or someone in the Ms. Hawking clan who are just working on preventing the world from coming to an end?

* Even with Hurley potentially being arrested, it's pretty hilarious how simple the Oceanic Six storyline is in comparison to the Island one. Every time they would jump to an Oceanic Six scene, I would feel slight disappointment on the inside.

* What are the odds that the opening scene of the season, featuring Faraday inside the Orchid as it is being built, was actually a "flashback", and that at some point this season, the Island will "jump" back that far in time, allowing Faraday to enter the Orchid to try and sort everything out? Will this lead to throwing him into the future? Is this why he was crying when we first met his character last season? Does he have this residual memory of everything that happened, and everyone that dies (Charlotte in particular), but can't quite remember it? Will he be exposed to high levels of radiation like Desmond rendering him able to remember things outside of the "jumps"?

* Locke ends up with the compass that Alpert gave him, which seems like the object that Alpert wanted him to choose as a child when he visited. However, the knife is actually what was Locke's - the compass is Alpert's. So wouldn't that mean that Locke chose correctly?

* Is this how the Others knew that Locke was going to be their future leader? Did 1970's Locke tell them all sorts of stuff that had not yet happened and they figured that he was seeing into the future and must be some all-knowing being / witch?

* My early assumption is that Island Originals are immune from the effects of the Island moving - but any outsiders are not. This would explain Alpert knowing what was going on, but Ethan and the early Dharma folks not. But there are still all sorts of questions about what this means for characters who are alive vs. dead in the different timelines. Could this be why we see characters like Christian Shephard walking around?

My head hurts.

I will say this - these two episodes probably effectively turned off any "casual viewers" of the show. It's probably going to take 100% brainpower from people to be able to keep up and appreciate how awesome this show is getting. After teasing the "sci-fi" angle for the first four seasons, it jumped in head first into the deep end with the start of Season Five. Thus far, I'm quite impressed. It takes a lot for a show to challenge me, but Lost gave me all the challenge I could ask for and more.

Time to get analyzing...
LOST Haters please stay away. :)

Lost... and Gone Forever

ruko bhai..download toh hone do :p

and besides it would be better if you added spoiler tags (in case there are any...i didn't read a single word ):D

i was waiting for lost as they did note the island in the finale of the last reasone and locke was dead right at the very end. Hopefully they will revel some facts this reasone. Off to download the new episodes.

What i actually meant was:

I was waiting for lost as they did move the island in the finale of the last season and locke was dead right at the very end. Hopefully they will revel some facts this season. Off to download the new episodes.

I was going to start a thread for this .. Good to see one already open .... Just finished watching the episode(s)!!! Wow!!!

After that long wait since yesterday morning where Episode one was not uploaded because of some video problems during transmission I finally watched the episodes..... I will just have to re-iterate my feelings for LOST ... LOST is the BEST show on television ... and it probably be years or even decades before any series comes close to how good this series is ......

You thought flashbacks were ok ... Flash Forwards were good!!! .. Now its flash-anyWHERE/WHEN' !!!!!

Well... They are sort of supplying the answers now...

I have just watched the first episode and already i feel that i would have to see the whole series again just to place all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle in place...

The writers of the show are just genius.

Did anyone else notice? "Flashbacks" are a new feature this season. I mean, we have LOST kinda flashbacks before,but not bollywood type Video with people explaining kinda flashbacks in LOST.

^Its tough to just pick 2 characters, really. I like Locke, sawyer, Ben, Sayid, Hurley, Ecko, Desmond and many more. But if I were to choose just 2 then I would go with Locke and Ecko. Too bad they killed Ecko in season 2, imo he had the best Flashback storyline in LOST.

Switch said:
Well... They are sort of supplying the answers now...

I have just watched the first episode and already i feel that i would have to see the whole series again just to place all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle in place...

The writers of the show are just genius.

Genius they are. If you remember Locke gave sayid a compass which pointed north in season 1. We finally had an answer to where it came from in this season. Just imagine, the writer had thought through all of this, they knew exactly what the storyline was and what they were showing. Brilliant is the word. Unlike other TV series where they make new episodes according to TRP's , LOST writers actually know what they are doing.

I suggest you rewatch LOST from season 1 , I finished watching all the seasons again before watching yesterdays episode. There was so much that I had missed/ignored earlier. Everything makes perfect sense now.

LOST is the BEST show on television ... and it probably be years or even decades before any series comes close to how good this series is ......

Quote for truth.

Ok , so which character in LOST do you guys find the most irritating. Earlier it was Charlie and Anna Lucia for me , now that they are dead, Jack has taken their place. Seriously, he whines so much that sometimes I just want him to shut-up. He would land a perfect role in Ekta Kapoor's serials. :|

Can't wait for the next episode :D

Okay speaking of Jack... check this out ROFL!!

Attachments

• 1210653438284tp8.jpg
    1210653438284tp8.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 78
@Bluffy .... I don't think the writers knew exactly where the story was going to go in Season 1.. They might have had a rough idea but most of the twists and turns were made up as they went on .. I remember someone had asked this question to Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof in Comicon 07 or 08(i don't exactly remember which one) ...... He kind of admitted that the writers did not have the entire story drawn out when the story started.. But now since they know they have only 32 more episodes to finish the series..Each and evry minute detail will be pre- planned.....

And there is no argument about the writers of the show being GENIUSes...

Favorite characters. Has to be Desmond. His character absolutely defines Lost. He was on the island before anybody else. Nobody knows how he ended up in the hatch(It hasn't been shown yet) and of course followed by Locke and Hurley.

I just hate jack and absolutely loved ecko's accent. Such a personality with such amazing accent.

I am guessing that the numbers will be back this season. Get ready for some 4 8 15 16 23 42 yet again.

Switch said:
He was on the island before anybody else. Nobody knows how he ended up in the hatch(It hasn't been shown yet) and of course followed by Locke and Hurley.
I guess you have missed couple of episodes on season 2 i guess. Desmond lands on that island with his boat all crashed and then 2 men come to rescue him and they take him to the hatch where he adapts and knows everything about the hatch. That guy was in Iraq as well with sayid. Then Desmond kills him accidently and then he is trapped in that hatch forever.

Ring any bells? :p

He was on the island before anybody else. Nobody knows how he ended up in the hatch(It hasn't been shown yet)

Watch season 2 again :p

590px-Kelvinlookingtough.JPG

Before Kelvin arrived on the Island he was involved with the U.S. military in the Gulf War. During the war, he was connected with Sam Austen, Kate's stepfather, and manipulated Sayid, forcing him to act as a translator and torture Iraqi prisoners for information (although later Kelvin reveals that he can speak Arabic himself). After the war ended, Inman transferred a handcuffed Sayid to a deserted area and gave him money, including "bus fare" back to Ramadi. Addressing Sayid's disapproval of the torture methods he forced him to use, he tells him in Arabic that it will come in handy in the future before releasing him. Kelvin later told Desmond that he had been a spy for ten years but left because "...men followed my orders." He then joined the DHARMA Initiative, which presumably brought him to the Island.

Kelvin joined the DHARMA Initiative sometime between 1991 and December of 1992. It is likely that he joined in 1991, since the Purge took place in 1992. It is unknown exactly how Kelvin came to the Island. He became the operator of the Swan research station with his partner, Radzinsky. According to Kelvin, Radzinsky committed suicide by putting a shotgun in his mouth and firing it, leaving a blood stain on the ceiling. Kelvin later buried him in between pushing the button. Kelvin and Radzinsky were the only known survivors of the Purge that hadn't defected.

In the March 20, 2007 Official Lost Podcast, Carlton Cuse confirmed that The Others had no knowledge of the Swan station; hence, Radzinsky, Kelvin Joe Inman, and/or Desmond were not killed during the Purge along with the rest of the DHARMA Initiative.

When Desmond's boat shipwrecked in 2001, Kelvin was on the beach and rescued him. He asked Desmond the snowman joke, and "Are you him?". When Kelvin realized that Desmond was not the man he expected, he showed him the station's orientation film, and enlisted him as his partner to push the button in the Swan.

Kelvin continued working on the blast door map after Radzinsky died. This map was meant to plot the locations of the other DHARMA stations on the Island. Kelvin also told Desmond about the fail-safe key.

Kelvin planned to escape the Island by secretly repairing the sailboat Elizabeth, under the guise of investigating the Island. He always donned a HAZMAT suit when he left the hatch. On September 22, 2004, as Kelvin went to repair the boat, Desmond noticed the suit was damaged. He followed Kelvin and watched him take it off outside the hatch. Desmond continued following him until Kelvin confronted him at the cove. He asked Desmond to join him, but Desmond refused. He attacked Kelvin, and accidentally killed him by slamming his head against the rocks. He then left to go push the button, leaving Kelvin's body behind on the rocks.

Kelvin Inman - Lostpedia

For absolutely any queries that you may have about LOST, head over to : Lostpedia :D

Back