PC Peripherals The Mac Thread

TheMask said:
exactly..

30k to listen to music and watch movies? or 10k to play all the latest 'kiddie' games at decent settings..

pick ur 'wise' choice :bleh:

besides, my 2 yr old Audigy2 that i bot for 4k will pwnz ur 30k Mac if u are a music buff.. :p
That too listen to AC97 quality music :p. Macs dont have sound cards either :tongue:. So no way u can get better sound.

the rates have been revised... mac mini is 30k inclusive of all taxes now. check the apple india store...

btw ask a newbie who hasn't worked on Xp or Os X before to write a Cd... let's see which one wins... yeah, 3rd party software are allowed on poor ol' windows... :p

anand posted 3.15 minutes later:

Aces170 said:
Now look who is mis informed here, do you know the avg age of gamers is 25, and video game market is multi billion dollar market surpassing hollywood in recent times ? Besides a high end video card is outta question on MAAAAC

yeah high-end video cards except the 6800U, x800 and x850 :)

anand posted 3.93 minutes later:

Aces170 said:
Hmm Win 2k at my office running 24/7 since last 8 months, just a couple of restarts but working great. Why would anyone want to spend a fortune on a mac for that ?

because some people can't stand what windows has to offer. Agreed Linux is a worthy competitior but for the newbies it is a little too tough.... Though i feel it is easy...
What the guys who haven't used a MAC before fail to understand is that MAC is about the over-all experience. Tiger is faster than Panther which was faster than Jaguar and Puma.

You must understand,if you purchase a MAC you don't need to upgrade it for 5-6 years because of the OS... it gets faster as each version passes... Can you say that about Windows Xp. As much as i respect M$ for Win Xp, which is truly an improvement over 98/ME, i have to say Win Xp wll have a problem runnning on a P3 350 mhz with 128 mb ram whereas Tiger will run on a G3 300 mhz with 64/128 mb ram.

What you must understand is that Apple provides you with a new OS every one and half years and that too with stunning new features. Tiger includes the widgets and spotlight which is a great feature. You can even hide files which you dont want to appear which searching thru spotlight. M$ with its billions haven't had a new OS release for around 4 years now and longhorn is expected to release around Q1-2, 2007.

As a company, they completely trust you. You won't have to enter crappy serial numbers or activation for installing the OS.

Also the 30k price tag includes an OS worth 7k, an office suite worth 4.5k and Ilife worth 3.5k i.e. software worth 15k. Also they have a great policy for customers who just bought MAcs before they get updated. They actually replace their MACs with the updated ones for a nominal charge(2-3k)
What you also might not know is that Apple has a great warranty policy. Even if your dvd-rom goes kaput, they replace the whole machine for you. As an example, a few days back a guy at neowin bought an iMac whose DVD-Rw was not functioning exactly as he wanted it. He went to the Apple Store and they replaced his system the same day. Can dell or Hp or Acer claim that?

anand said:
[quote name='Aces170']
Now look who is mis informed here, do you know the avg age of gamers is 25, and video game market is multi billion dollar market surpassing hollywood in recent times ? Besides a high end video card is outta question on MAAAAC

yeah high-end video cards except the 6800U, x800 and x850 :) [/QUOTE]

hes right on this , they do have high end cards for mac.. actually they insist on a 6800 and higher for their high end cinema displays

anand said:
What you also might not know is that Apple has a great warranty policy. Even if your dvd-rom goes kaput, they replace the whole machine for you. As an example, a few days back a guy at neowin bought an iMac whose DVD-Rw was not functioning exactly as he wanted it. He went to the Apple Store and they replaced his system the same day. Can dell or Hp or Acer claim that?

why should a manufacturer replace an entire product just because one component is faulty .. and i'm sure they will replace the faulty part and send out the machine again to someone else.

i'd be pissed if i got a new mac and then found that i got an refurb machine in return just cause my dvd drive was spoilt . ;) dunno if it works that way but jus saying...

dunno about hp etc but i've had a pretty good experience with dell.. had a faulty graphics card . complained morning they sent an engineer in the evening and after he tested he had a replacement card ready.

they don't give u a re-furb machine..they give u a brand new machine.... it is a fact.. you can check out if you want....

I don't want you to say that MAC is good, but don't fool around saying that a single 3000+ is faster than a dual g5 2.7ghz.

so what do they do with the faulty machine :huh:

even for ipods (once the battery is dead after a year or so) apple care doesnt replace the battery , they give a different refurb one :S

3000+ is faster than a dual g5 2.7ghz.
How can you even compare the two ? There is a huge price diff between the two, if I am not mistaken you can however compare a dual opteron based system, which other then photoshop test trounces the G5.

Also they can afford to give those services with the price they charge, just check out the price of a 6800 GT for a mac 600$ where as its for 270$ for a peecee. Not to mention their Ipod series, which are though very popular but expensive compared to the creative Nomad series.

Dude, you don't even know what you are saying. the Price is $500.well if it is $500, is it the mistake of apple? as far as i know, nvidia makes the 6800

I mentioned the 3000+ because another guy here said a dual g5 is slower than a 3000+

The fact is iPods sell....It is beacuse we people buy an iPod rather than a Creative.. not Apple's problem
@bottle- They sell the e-furb machines at the re-furb store online and at their apple centers... may i say, common sense?

Hehe I said that and well its true in games atleast that a 3000+ A64 is faster than a dual G5 with the same graphics chip.

try porting nanosaur to x86 and then run the benchmarks ;) Let's see which one excels.. nanosaur is a light game... but still ;)

It depends on the coding dude.... how is apple at fault here?

The point being Apple prices its product at way above the PC threshold, simply put with the performance achieved its not worth it period. Apple were a force to reckon with in the 80's now other then image editing in photoshop it loses all the other benchies to the high end PEECEE

Yeah it loses out to Win Xp too... It can't manage the BSODs... also it cant attract the Viri and spyware :( Yeah billy goes one up on that ;)

have u ever surfed thenet using safari or written a Cd on a mac? HAve u ever used mail? have u ever used imovie? Then u wont say that...

Hehe macos claims to be THE media os and it doesn't even have the basic video codecs. It nearly put me in a soup in december when I went for a conference. I encoded some movies into intel cinepack (most common codec in AVIs... runs on all machines I've used including linux and windows) to demo a virtual walkthrough in a presentation. Well the thing which plays even on win 3.1 didnt even play on the damn powerbook :p. It only gave sound no video. Had to use the crappy conference PCs to renencode it to uncompressed AVI... 300 MB for 3 mins :(. On top of that it has the crappy laggy quicktime player. Why cant it support any format other than mp4 and quicktime! The rest of the world doesnt use quicktime for anything other than watching trailers. For that too these days I use vlc. Also WinXP doesnt crash unless u screw it up manually so ur virus and spyware arguments dont really hold. I havent had a single virus/spyware issue over the last 2 years inspite of not using any AV. Only updating the OS from windowsupdate. All you need is a little bit of common sense to avoid malware. On top of that linux is way better and secure than the stupid mac os with a single mouse button :p. Why doesnt apple grow up and put another button on its mice :mad:

or why don't u grow up and buy a normal usb mouse costing 500 bucks :p btw, didn't windows media player MAc do the job? :p

anand said:
or why don't u grow up and buy a normal usb mouse costing 500 bucks :p btw, didn't windows media player MAc do the job? :p
Why cant it give by default thats the question... As though a scroll mouse cost a lot more than a single button mouse. Also u cant buy a replacement touchpad for a powerbook :tongue: So you agree that WMP for mac is better than quicktime :p

i never said WMP is bad... Windows Media Player is a very nice piece of Software... but most of the mac guys like the single button mouse.... that's why apple doesn't adopt the normal 2-button+ scrool wheel one... If u visit MacRumors or AppleInsider, they had a poll on this.. and most ppl voted for the single button mouse... it's jut a personal preference

If u kept on buying the 'stuff u like' for MAC as add-ons to make urself 'feel at home' then how does it justify the 30k price u r talking about? :p

pretty interesting discussion .....
anand , am a noob as far it goes with apple , know only about the ipods which i feel are overpriced for the functionality they offer and i guess use the same concept of windows ' make it extremely simple to use , make it look good , make it sound reasonably good and u have a winner ' .

but since i dont know about the apple's with regards to personal computing , how can u convince me into buying one ? . Is it for the regular user ? . I use my computer for the internet, movies , music and games( u cant take away this aspect by sayin it for kids :eek:hyeah: ) , and remember that am an Indian , i want full value for money . This isnt a sarcastic statement , i really wanna know how can u pacify my mind into making a purchase . About the BSOD's i guess they aint a regular feature once ur system is stable and running . Spyware and virii , yea a problem , but with the kind of awareness now a days, i guess the average-good user manage's it pretty effectively .

So then why an apple ?

A good firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus is all that one needs to protect his her computer from attacks. Best of all the freeware version is sufficient for the protection one needs.
Once these are installed the prob of spyware is prominent, but not unmanageable, only when you visit prn and warez sites all day. :bleh:

After so many years apple has not been able to convince the Indians specially when windows and PeeCee suck so much. Even AMD managed to break into our houses.

About 'those who play games are kids', I am amazed at the statement. Perhaps it was made at the heat of the moment so there is nothing that has to be said.

You guys conveniently chose to ignore the arguments which you can't reply to. For 30k, you get software worth 15k. I would like to repeat again, Macintosh is about the user experience. About 4 years back when i hadn't used a MAc before, i was as dismissive as you are currently. But after just 5 minutes with a MAc, my opinion was changed.. everything was so easy! I mean even Chaos will agree, Macs are so simple to use. Yes Macintosh hardware is a bit lagging in the lower end models but the OS makes up for that. About 80% of the users buy macs because of the OS. So what i recommend is call up Apple India at 1600-444-683 and get a free demo....

You have to see it for urself. Try writing a Cd on a mac and on windows.. try searching for a file on mac using spotlight.. try connecting to a windows network using a MAC... ironically, it is simpler to connect to a windows network from mac than from a windows based PC...

Try opening 20 applications on MAc... no sign of lagging even on 256 mb ram.. the pdf based interface of mac is so beautiful... try expose.. press f9 and all windows appear on the screen.... you can even hide windows if they create clutter....

Try opening ur mail using Outlook and Mail 2... Just try out a mac first!

@masky- They offer a single button mouse for a reason... that is most users prefer to use a single button mouse than a double button one... using the apple mouse is a delight... get ur hands on one if u can.

Back