~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

H2O said:
Hey TTM I have read that you can upgrade the Samsung B7320 to Windows Mobile 6.5. Is that true.

Most probably it will be the Samsung as Dad would need GPS as he travels in the suburbs a bit he will use google maps.

EDIT : He's got an E71 he loved the way it was styled and seemed to have all the features he wanted. Can someone tell me what are the must needed apps for E71 will be getting Google Maps and Opera Mini. What else should I get him.

Also is there a decent data plan available for Airtel Postpaid which does not cost a bomb something like the RC 89 for prepaid.

It CAN be upgraded to 6.5 but that's about it!

It's not a readily available option and in most cases will require you to take it to their service centre for a possible upgrade. You could try to find out locally if the upgrade is possible.

The only reason I didn't suggest the E71 was because of its price. No such thing as "must need" apps for it. It comes with the Office Suite and your getting both GMaps and Opera.

In fact, there are a plethora of apps available for the Symbain OS, so it really comes down to what you are looking for.

~ T.T.M ~

sabby said:
Budget - maximum 10k.

The main priority here is that the sound quality should be top notch. Someone mentioned a Samsung model having a diff ( better ) chip other than the usual good ones but can't find that post. Other features - well, I guess a 10k phone should have the usual features like 2MP camera etc etc. But can compromise anything for sound quality.

What you are referring to is the Samsung Digital Natural Sound engine (DNSe) chipset. Although it does a good job, it really isn't a trendsetter.

Till the 5230 was released 5130XM was considered as the best audio phone from Nokia. Now it seems the 5230 has taken that place

Sorry, that would be the Nokia 5310 XM, with the Nokia 5130 XM not far behind, in real world performance.

But you are right, the Nokia 5230 has been tested to offer the best sound quality among the recent models. Pair it with your favourite earphones and you are good to go!

~ T.T.M ~

thetoxicmind said:
Sorry, that would be the Nokia 5310 XM, with the Nokia 5130 XM not far behind, in real world performance.

But you are right, the Nokia 5230 has been tested to offer the best sound quality among the recent models. Pair it with your favourite earphones and you are good to go!

~ T.T.M ~
:ashamed: But i guess i was right at least about the current best model, which i guess is more important for the OP :D

Karthi007 said:
I dont quite agree with that

Check this out

Nokia 5130 XpressMusic review: Reporting for duty - GSMArena.com

Nokia 5230 review: Foot soldiers get smarter - GSMArena.com

Till the 5230 was released 5130XM was considered as the best audio phone from Nokia. Now it seems the 5230 has taken that place :)

What I meant is that while 5130XM will give most of the phone's functionality, by going for a dedicated music player like Fuze or Clip+, the buyer can get much better audio experience and these are tiny mp3 players that support drag-n-drop.

guys

I need help choosing a phone. I would love the phone to have the following

1) Good music. Preferably with 3.5mm audio jack
2) wi-fi
3) Lets me play games
4) easy messaging. I have never had a touch screen phone. So I dont know how easy it is to sms in that.
5) decent build

Three models caught my attention so far. Samsung Star Wifi, Asus P320 and Samsung B3410. My budget is 10k. Lesser the better of course ;)

thetoxicmind said:
What you are referring to is the Samsung Digital Natural Sound engine (DNSe) chipset. Although it does a good job, it really isn't a trendsetter.

~ T.T.M ~

Well, I guess then it will be 5230 + good IEM. Btw, what I was referring was Samsung m7603 but that is out of his budget. :)

And yes, he doesn't wish to carry a PMP that's why needs a phone with good SQ. Thank you all for your support.

Now, the following one is for me. :ashamed:

Budget is flexible but don't want to cross 6-7k as I will probably dump it after the warranty period and get a high end phone like Galaxy / Nexus or whatever I'll like in Q3-Q4 '10. The priorities are Battery backup ( most imp ) > UI > Looks > SQ > Camera.

For your info, both the phones won't be bought before April. Do you think we can get better phones at that time with same budget ?

luckyluke said:
guys

2) wi-fi
3) Lets me play games
4) easy messaging. I have never had a touch screen phone. So I dont know how easy it is to sms in that.
5) decent build

Three models caught my attention so far. Samsung Star Wifi, Asus P320 and Samsung B3410. My budget is 10k. Lesser the better of course ;)

not sure if you can get a good phone with wi-fi for 10k. P320 is very old phone and star wi-fi is good but without an OS, it's not worth 10k. if you can increase your budget, look for 5800XM or SE Yari

Thank you desiibond!

The thing is I dont mind old technology as long as it is good and reliable. I've never had a phone with OS. So I wont miss it if it isnt there. wi-fi is a must though because 2 computers are shared between three guys in our appt and GPRS rates are ridiculously high.

5800 is a dream at present lol :) 10k is maximum and this with months of saving. My last phone was 5220xm which got lost. So I am not looking for much. Just good music, wi fi and decent build. I dont even want a camera.

hmm. I would suggest E63 for this. If not, among the three that you picked, go for samsung star wifi. BTW, B3410 doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Do remember that a non-touch phone with good features and a smartphone OS always pawns a touch phone with okay GUI.

[mod]If you have to list out all the features, please link to the source instead.[/mod]

@TTM & others:

I'm looking for a mobile in 7K +/- 500 range. It will be for my sis-in-law, who already owns an iPod, so sound quality is not a priority. Camera is again not a priority.

Other than making calls, the mobile would be used most for FM radio, and texting. I'm spoilt with options, considering the minimum requirements I need are really minimum. What would be your suggestion in this case..?

P.S: Touchscreens are tempting, but are not mandatory.

P.P.S: Is it possible to get a mobile with GPS in this budget..? Considering the fact that she lives in Bangalore, GPS would be useful.

hp-india said:
@TTM & others:
I'm looking for a mobile in 7K +/- 500 range. It will be for my sis-in-law, who already owns an iPod, so sound quality is not a priority. Camera is again not a priority.
Other than making calls, the mobile would be used most for FM radio, and texting. I'm spoilt with options, considering the minimum requirements I need are really minimum. What would be your suggestion in this case..?
P.P.S: Is it possible to get a mobile with GPS in this budget..? Considering the fact that she lives in Bangalore, GPS would be useful.

Nokia 5233 will be a good option. I think it even has GPS.

The otheroption would be something from the Corby range by Samsung.

luckyluke said:
guys

2) wi-fi

3) Lets me play games

5) decent build

Two models that overshoot your budget but meet your requirements are: Samsung B5310 and the SE W705, at 11.7K* and 11.9K* respectively.

Whether or not you get accustomed to messaging on a touchscreen device, is highly subjective.

1. The Asus P320 isn't really a music or entertainment device.

2. The Samsung B3410 misses out on WiFi but its QWERTY keypad will help with the messaging.

3. The Samsung Star WiFi is a full fledged touch screen device that meets your requirements with ease and the Nokia 5230 a worthy alternative, that skimps out on WiFi. The latter does have a slight edge in SQ and OS.

sabby said:
Now, the following one is for me. :ashamed:

Budget is flexible but don't want to cross 6-7k as I will probably dump it after the warranty period and get a high end phone like Galaxy / Nexus or whatever I'll like in Q3-Q4 '10. The priorities are Battery backup ( most imp ) > UI > Looks > SQ > Camera.

For your info, both the phones won't be bought before April. Do you think we can get better phones at that time with same budget ?

Better to wait and see.

Hopefully the newer models will feature increased battery life.

~ T.T.M ~

hp-india said:
@TTM & others:

The Nokia 2710 Navigation Edition would be the cheapest GPS enabled phone, if and when RELEASED here. :(

7K +/- 500 range

+ 600 = Nokia 5230, which will meet all her requirements with ease.

Other non-touchscreen options:

SE Naite ~ 6.3K*

Nokia 6303 Classic ~ 6.4K*

Samsung J800 LUXE ~ 6.7K*

Hope this helps.

~ T.T.M ~

thetoxicmind said:
3. The Samsung Star WiFi and the Nokia 5230, both full fledged touch screen devices, meet your requirements with ease. The latter having a slight edge in SQ and OS.
Better to wait and see.
Hopefully the newer models will feature increased battery life.

~ T.T.M ~

Nokia 5230 does not have WIFI, which is the most important requirement in this case.

I need a phone which would be used more for business (work email) and some amount of pleasure (FM, games, music). My budget is 12K (+/- 2K). I need to have a QWERTY keypad as I have been using Nokia E62 for a couple of years now and need to replace that. However I would also like to have the touch interface as well. Please suggest a good phone for me.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back