~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

Grease Monk said:
I'm planning to get a new phone in a couple of months and was wondering what my options were. I'll probably have around 12k with me, and i might be able to push it to around 16k if im able to sell my old w800 and crappy motorola v188. Keep in mind that this is all atleast 2 months away, and im not sure how quickly mobile prices drop. I was very interested in the 5800, but until im sure about the touchscreen and software performance, im not finalized on it and was looking at alternatives.

Here are my requirements:

• Wifi with a decent browser (was satisified with the 5800's even though it cant hold a flame to the iphone's). The wifi should allow you to stream audio to and from other networked devices the way the 5800 does, i dont remember what the feature was called. It doesnt have to be native to the phone but an app should exist which allows it.
  • GPS (whose maps can be overwritten with foreign maps)
  • Good 3rd party app developer base (like the way symbian has great on-phone software and SE has a lot of ppl writing software for PC interfacing like fma, myphoneexplorer, etc)
  • Reasonably fast performance even with multiple apps installed (not necessarily running at the same time though) : I had a Nokia 6260 a while back, and i was pretty dissapointed with the performance after installing a couple 3rd party apps on it but Im sure mobile processing has improved since.
  • Good Non-QWERTY keyboard : this may seem contradictory to my interest in the 5800 but I would like good sms typing speeds and i cant get used to qwerty keyboards. So a non-cramped layout and decent tactile feedback.
  • 3.5mm Audio jack and a good music library handling & playback system.
  • expandable memory (SD preferred)

Whats NOT important :

camera quality (i prefer not to take photos with my phone anyway so it's not a priority)

Let me list out your options:

Nokia N78 ~ 13.9k*

Nokia N81 8GB (No GPS) ~ 14.8k*

LG KS20 (No GPS) ~ 15.9k

Asus P527 (Only 2.5mm jack,slow performance) ~ 14.5k

HTC P3350 (No GPS) ~ 13.5k

*Lowest price possible!

Hope this helped.

~ t.t.m ~

thetoxicmind said:
Let me list out your options:

Nokia N78 ~ 13.9k*

Nokia N81 8GB (No GPS) ~ 14.8k*
LG KS20 (No GPS) ~ 15.9k
Asus P527 (Only 2.5mm jack,slow performance) ~ 14.5k
HTC P3350 (No GPS) ~ 13.5k

*Lowest price possible!

Hope this helped.

~ t.t.m ~
:hap2: :hap2: :hap2: N78 starts to fall :hap2: :hap2: :hap2:
Thanks for the updates !!!....gr8 work

techster said:
Need to buy a basic, no-frills kind of phone for Mom. Budget 5k (+-1k)

Requirements:
*Good build quality
*Ease of use
*Must be a Nokia phone (she's pretty firm about that lol)
*Don't know what kind of camera she'll get in this budget, but it would be nice if it had a decent one
*Candy bar form factor preferred, but this is flexible

So what are the options?

Since you don't need expandable memory you should consider the Nokia 5000

Require suggestions for mobile for a friend.

User: Young lady

budget: 7-10K

Should have all the normal phone features plus a decent camera

preferred brand: Nokia

preferred form factor: clamshell

Emil said:
Require suggestions for mobile for a friend.
User: Young lady
budget: 7-10K
Should have all the normal phone features plus a decent camera
preferred brand: Nokia
preferred form factor: clamshell

First off,Nokia haven't released any clamshell model in India,in the 7-10k range..
A few under 5k like the 2760,6085 and the more expensive 6600 Fold & N76..

There is however the new Nokia 3610 Foldfor 6.5k that features an avg. 1.3mp camera with a 6X zoom n AF !:eek:hyeah:

Then there are the two comparatively older models,the 6125 & 6131 !

And if she could compromise on the form factor,the Nokia 5220 XM for 7.5 must definitely be taken into consideration !

Just in case..

Here's a list of Nokia phones* from 6-10k !

Nokia 3120 Classic ~ 6.4k
Nokia 6300 ~ 6.5k
Nokia 6233 ~ 6.9k
Nokia 7310 ~ 7.4k
Nokia N72 ~ 7.4k
Nokia 5220 XM ~ 7.5k
Nokia 5310 XM ~ 7.9k
Nokia 3600 Slide ~ 9k
Nokia N70 Me ~ 9.3k
Nokia 5320 ~ 9.8k

* Currently available at all stores

thanks for the suggestion of the n78. the built in fm transmitter is an added bonus! have you ever used the n78? hows the keypad?

Grease Monk said:
thanks for the suggestion of the n78. the built in fm transmitter is an added bonus! have you ever used the n78? hows the keypad?

ive tested the n78 keypad and the keys are comfy to use , dont go with what you see....u can go to croma showroom at your location and have a hands on of the same....

btw , i checked in 2-3 shops...the price still hovers around the 15k mark....so the 13.9k price tag on mobilestore website seems more like a typo instead of 14.9k...the best thing is they have the option to buy it online...so people who would like to get the 1k off can buy it online :eek:hyeah: :hap2:

Grease Monk said:

Yeah ! it's not as bad as it SEEMS ! good tactile feedback..
I'd still suggest you check it out in person and see if your comfortable with the keys...

hanzy said:
ive tested the n78 keypad and the keys are comfy to use , dont go with what you see....u can go to croma showroom at your location and have a hands on of the same....

btw , i checked in 2-3 shops...the price still hovers around the 15k mark....so the 13.9k price tag on mobilestore website seems more like a typo instead of 14.9k...the best thing is they have the option to buy it online...so people who would like to get the 1k off can buy it online :eek:hyeah: :hap2:

Yep,luring the customers online if not OFFLINE!

thetoxicmind said:
First off,Nokia haven't released any clamshell model in India,in the 7-10k range..

A few under 5k like the 2760,6085 and the more expensive 6600 Fold & N76..

There is however the new Nokia 3610 Foldfor 6.5k that features an avg. 1.3mp camera with a 6X zoom n AF !:eek:hyeah:

Then there are the two comparatively older models,the 6125 & 6131 !

And if she could compromise on the form factor,the Nokia 5220 XM for 7.5 must definitely be taken into consideration !

Just in case..

Here's a list of Nokia phones* from 6-10k !

Nokia 3120 Classic ~ 6.4k

Nokia 6300 ~ 6.5k

Nokia 6233 ~ 6.9k

Nokia 7310 ~ 7.4k

Nokia N72 ~ 7.4k

Nokia 5220 XM ~ 7.5k

Nokia 5310 XM ~ 7.9k

Nokia 3600 Slide ~ 9k

Nokia N70 Me ~ 9.3k

Nokia 5320 ~ 9.8k

* Currently available at all stores

Thanks a ton. I had recommended to her the 3600 slide and the 6300 at two ends of the spectrum and then she said that the camera quality wasn't all that important but she would like good music. So then I told her about the Xpress music phones you recommended.

Thanks for always being helpful. Reps coming up.

Sorry unable to add reps. I am told I have to first spread them around before giving them to you. Will try later.

polarviga said:
can one suggest a phone below 20k for browsing mainly also need a decent cam

was thinking of n95 ny other good phones?

Following are your options:

Nokia N79 ~ 19.6K

Nokia E71 ~ 19.6K

Nokia E66 ~ 19.1K

Nokia N95 ~ 18.7K

Nokia N78 ~ 15K

~ t.t.m ~

I want to buy a smartphone (touch screen).

need all the features one can throw. Can even manage to get one from US.

So I have primarily two querries:

1. Which amongst the three Nokia 5800 (price not known yet), Htc Tytyn II (will need to get from US what should be the US price, Asus P320 (cheapest smartphone with GPS, India price ???)

2. I need a standby phone as well. Cheapest with MP3 + FM + colour phone +good battery life.

Thanks in advance for ur insights

no point getting it from US since it is anyways not cheaper in US as compared to India.

Secondly do mention your budget as there is wide variety of touchscreen phones available at different price points.

motorheadinc said:
I want to buy a smartphone (touch screen).
need all the features one can throw. Can even manage to get one from US.
So I have primarily two querries:
1. Which amongst the three Nokia 5800 (price not known yet), Htc Tytyn II (will need to get from US what should be the US price, Asus P320 (cheapest smartphone with GPS, India price ???)

2. I need a standby phone as well. Cheapest with MP3 + FM + colour phone +good battery life.

Thanks in advance for ur insights

First post and a query here already!? :p

Anyways,everything comes at a price..
so a BUDGET would be helpful !

amityrock said:
hey buddy any idea of launch and price of e63.. and also if your aware of its specs.. it doesnt have gps.. anyways to get gps on2 it?

The Nokia E63 has got a full hardware QWERTY keypad and comes with a slim waistline of 13mm. Its body is lacking the metal finish of the E71 and is entirely made of plastic instead. Most surprisingly however it will have touch sensitive Navi wheel functionality and a 3.5mm audio jack that lack on E71.

The phone has a 2.36" 16M color QVGA display and up to 110 MB of internal memory, which can be expanded through the microSD card slot. According to the press release the Nokia E63 users will also have 1GB of online storage at their disposal though the latest Nokia service called Files on Ovi.

The Nokia E63 packs quad-band GSM and dual-band UMTS connectivity (which comes in three different flavors) but unlike the E71 has no HSDPA support. The other methods of data transfer on-board are microUSB port, and Bluetooth (A2DP and EDR) and Wi-Fi.

The Nokia E63 also lacks GPS and replaces the 3.2 MP autofocus camera of its elder brother with a 2 MP fixed focus snapper. The handset will start shipping in the coming weeks with an estimated retail price of 200 euro (250 US dollars) before taxes or subsides. -GSMArena

^^^ That answer your question..?

Probably release here in Dec or Jan '09...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back