~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

teche said:
Is N78 still available?

I find it to be fairly loaded with everything from Cam, wifi, FM, etc. At a good price.

Only -ves are keypad & slow speed, but I guess I can live with these!

Who told you that it is slow? Never heard that anywhere. Maybe I missed it.

Since it is an OS 9 FP2 mobile, I think it should not be slow. And with all the power optimization applied in FP2 and the battery of the N95 8GB, it has a really long battery backup.

It is the best VFM mobile if available for purchase.

thetoxicmind said:

Unfortunately,it is true.

^
So if you want to take a risk,go ahead with the version available(with FM Transmitter) or try looking for the new version without it...
Remember,Your safe as long as you don't use the transmitter !

And yes,at that price its a steal !

In the post #1395 the document that you had quoted from was an old one. That was applicable when the N78 was first launched in India.

As far as I remember, the N78 when it first launched had its FM transmitter disabled. But later on after some rule amendment or after discussions with the Telecom ministry, Nokia enabled the N78 via a firmware update.

Moreover the N79 and N85 both have FM transmitter enabled.

teche said:
I used/tried it myself, battery life is good, but the mobile itself is slow. Interface takes time while doing tasks/opening.

I think the menu transition effects were enabled. Disabling the transition effects should speed it up. Also the firmware should be upgraded to the latest version.

Accelerometer is a good thing to have(but is not at all an essential feature) but sometimes it is just too sensitive in some phones. Like in the initial firmware version of the Nokia 5800XM where it kept changing the orientation of the screen even when not required.

To end the N78 discussion once and for all...

1. By N78 versions without FM transmitter,I meant that it was DISABLED !
2. If DISABLED,there are software workabouts/firmware to ENABLE IT.
3. IMHO,The N78 is NOT SLOW ! Confirmed by most other users as well.
4. Apart from the FM Transmitter,it still is a great phone !
5. Only downsides,if I may,are the thin keys but that depends on the user's convenience.
6. It is currently priced at 15K but ranges from around 13K...

So let there be no more doubts...

thetoxicmind said:
1.The 5800 XM & the iPhone are a class apart,Add to that their price difference !

Both these phones cater to users with slightly different requirements...

If your doubtful about the 5800 XM,check out some reviews & user opinions to reassure yourself.

2.The Xenon Indeed !

And it has be proven that the N82 still takes better images than the N79...

So if you really need a good camera,get the N82 !

Else

if you prefer a slightly better battery life & the convenient keypad,get the N79...

My vote goes for the N82 !:hap2:

yogi7272 said:
Dude only buy n82. proven performer. Best nokia till date. Better hardware platform, awesome camera and xenon flash, more free ram to work with , its just way way better than n79. Dont get fooled by n79 looks. n82 anyday over n79 :) I just cant get it why over here in india n79 is preferred over n82 :huh:

Getting the N79 mostly. Local dealers are saying that Nokia has stopped manufacturing N82 :S

Mohit said:
Getting the N79 mostly. Local dealers are saying that Nokia has stopped manufacturing N82 :S

So what???
When new models are released,old ones are stopped !
That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them...

Like I mentioned earlier...
If you need a really good camera,get the N82(Black) over the N79...
Upto you now...

thetoxicmind said:
So what???

When new models are released,old ones are stopped !

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them...

Like I mentioned earlier...

If you need a really good camera,get the N82(Black) over the N79...

Upto you now...

Dude there was no stock of N82 over here. So I bought the N79 finally. And I like it :)

Mohit said:
Dude there was no stock of N82 over here. So I bought the N79 finally. And I like it :)

Congratulations on your purchase.
How much did it cost?

Can you tell me if the gallery lags or not when opening if a lot of photos and videos are stored?

19.7K all inclusive. It was 19.6k but I paid 100 bucks premium to get the white one.

I will check the Gallery thing and let you know. Right now its not filled with much stuff :p

hotshot05 said:
Congratulations on your purchase.
How much did it cost?

Can you tell me if the gallery lags or not when opening if a lot of photos and videos are stored?

Browsing through gallery is not as fast as omap 2420 phones like n82 .. its slower in n79 and in my n85 .. its a gpu related issue for sure.. though it can be made fast by a firmware update.

Congratulations for ur n79 :)

dear TTM

I want to buy a smartphone in a budget of about 18k.

I have shortlisted N82 as my choice(i really love the advanced processor , customizable symbian & awesome picture quality) .

Are there any better choices for me according to you ? I would love to read your suggestions.

also could you tell me the best Price & Place to buy it in Mumbai.

Thanking you.
-Gaurav.

gauravraina22 said:
dear TTM

I want to buy a smartphone in a budget of about 18k.

I have shortlisted N82 as my choice(i really love the advanced processor , customizable symbian & awesome picture quality) .

Are there any better choices for me according to you ? I would love to read your suggestions.

also could you tell me the best Price & Place to buy it in Mumbai.

Thanking you.
-Gaurav.
If a good camera phone is what you want,you can't go wrong with the Nokia N82 (19K*) !

If not, here are your options:

Nokia E71 ~ 19.6K*
Nokia N79 ~ 19.5K*
Nokia 5800 XM ~ 19.1K*
SE G900 ~ 19.1K*
Moto VE66 ~ 19.1K*
Nokia 6260 Slide ~ 17.2K*

Hope this helps.

* Plus 4% VAT

gauravraina22 said:
What better alternatives do i have if i am going for the Nokia N78
thats retailing for about Rs.12,400 :huh:

Since you want a Symbian phone, the only other phones are the Samsung i450(bad 2MP camera) or the Nokia 6210 Navigator.

N78 is the best among these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back