~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

hotshot05 said:
1. If your speaker has a 3.5mm input jack then I think you can plug it directly into the phone wihout using a separate amplifier. I use the 3.5mm jack on the converter of my Nokia 5300 to directly connect to my Creative 4.1 speakers(I dont know though if they have inbuilt amplifiers).

Bigger speakers need an amplifier to amplify the output signal so that it sounds good on the same.They are directly connected to the AMP to receive the input from the source & power required.

Smaller speaker systems don't need an amplifier as their audio input cable can be directly connected to the 3.5mm jack of the device (phone).

~ T.T.M ~

I'm looking to buy the cheapest phone possible which supports google maps or GPS..
would like to pay less than 7000.
I've got no clue about phones, so any suggestions would be welcome.

iamddevil said:
I'm looking to buy the cheapest phone possible which supports google maps or GPS..

If you want the cheapest phone, I think the Nokia 5310XM or Nokia 7210C Supernova or SE W350i will do just fine. It does not have GPS but will use cellphone tower triangulation to give you your approximate position using Google Maps. It wont be as accurate as GPS though. And I think you should check your phone if it works correctly with Google maps or not before you buy. I am not sure if all Nokia phones have the cellphone triangulation feature(My Nokia 5300 is old and it does not support this feature. It says "function" not available whenever I click on "My Location" in G Maps).

If you want real GPS then buy the Asus P320. I think you can get it for 9k in some places. Other than that there is the Nokia 6210 Navigator(Rs.14k), N78(Rs.15k), SE W760i(15k) , SE C702(15k).

iamddevil said:

For Google Maps:
Your best bet would be the SE G502 for 6.8K* !

For GPS:
Cheapest option would be the SE TM506 for 9.5K* !

~ T.T.M ~

taher said:
i am willing to buy lg km900 arena....wanted to know is there any better option in that range

The LG KM900 Arena is a splendid device !

But if you need a really good camera, then check out the Samsung S8300 Ultra Touch which isn't far behind.

By this I'm assuming your looking for something under 25K?

~ T.T.M ~

thetoxicmind said:
Woah :S :hap5: :p

1. An amplifier does what it's supposed to, that being AMPLIFY the output signal for speaker systems that are connected to the same.So audio quality originating from your phone will remain the same but will sound louder,richer etc. according to the output device.

2. AFAIK,both have a music software that manages your phone's tracks and are quite straightforward to use.I haven't personally used them so I suggest you wait for more inputs on that or look up reviews on the same.

3. Music playback file formats: .mp3 AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, MP3, Midi, WMA, WAMR, MXMF

4. & 5. It has been verified that the 5130 supports mem. cards upto 16GB !

So if a device supports such capacities,there won't be a problem.It does of course take time to browse through the tracks(plenty of them) but that's a no brainer.

6. If there isn't a setting to increase brightness then I'm afraid no 3rd party app. can help you achieve the same.

Hope this answers everything.

~ T.T.M ~

Thanks again Toxic & Hotshot.

So if I understand correctly, the audio quality from external speakers would depend on both the amplifier & the phone. I got a Sony music system which can't play CDs anymore because the service center does not have the parts to repair it. So I was hoping to just hook up the phone to the system so there's no need for repairs. Guess I won't know unless I buy & try! My question regarding FLAC was also directed toward this end.

It's great to hear that the phone supports upto 16GB cos that would mean one can load up movies as well as music. What movie formats does the phone support? [Especially interested in knowing whether flv {read youtube} /divx playback is possible]. & does it have a TV out [like the 5800]?

Only thing that's giving me second thoughts about the phone are the display brightness [for browsing the web] & the looks [especially those lights which come on during music playback - hope they can be turned off].

Thanks a lot yet again. Much appreciated!

thetoxicmind said:
The LG KM900 Arena is a splendid device !

But if you need a really good camera, then check out the Samsung S8300 Ultra Touch which isn't far behind.

By this I'm assuming your looking for something under 25K?

~ T.T.M ~

i am looking for capacitive touchscreen, good music quality with 3.5mm jack prefarebly

i am ok with the camera btw just wanted to know if there any third party app. for s-class ui and also i heard complaints about its battery life how's it

yes i am looking for ~25k max 27k

kidrow said:
Thanks again Toxic & Hotshot.

So if I understand correctly, the audio quality from external speakers would depend on both the amplifier & the phone. I got a Sony music system which can't play CDs anymore because the service center does not have the parts to repair it. So I was hoping to just hook up the phone to the system so there's no need for repairs. Guess I won't know unless I buy & try! My question regarding FLAC was also directed toward this end.

It's great to hear that the phone supports upto 16GB cos that would mean one can load up movies as well as music. What movie formats does the phone support? [Especially interested in knowing whether flv {read youtube} /divx playback is possible]. & does it have a TV out [like the 5800]?

Only thing that's giving me second thoughts about the phone are the display brightness [for browsing the web] & the looks [especially those lights which come on during music playback - hope they can be turned off].

Thanks a lot yet again. Much appreciated!

1. Yeah,That's right ! Plus,you get to tweak various settings on your amplifier too.
It's bound to sound good when you connect it to your music system.

2. It can only playback MP4 & 3GP files.So if you can convert the original content to the above standard formats, you'll have no problem.

TV-OUT !? No way.

If there isn't a setting to turn off those lights, you'll have to bear with it.

~ T.T.M ~

taher said:
i am looking for capacitive touchscreen, good music quality with 3.5mm jack prefarebly

i am ok with the camera btw just wanted to know if there any third party app. for s-class ui and also i heard complaints about its battery life how's it

yes i am looking for ~25k max 27k

Apart from the more expensive iPhone, the only two phones in your budget, sporting a capacitive touchscreen are the LG KM900 Arena & the Samsung S8300 UltraTouch.

Both phones have a slightly unstable OS, nothing a firmware update can't fix !

The S8300 has a better camera & battery life than the KM900 but the latter sports a 3.5mm jack and a bigger screen.

The KM900 does have the S-Class UI but support generic MIDP 2.0 games & applications that are widely available.

~ T.T.M ~

iamddevil said:

best option is to go for used Nokia 6210 Navigator or Nokia n78 they have the best gps module in a phone.

Hey, any idea on how good the Sony Ericsson W902 is? Are there any upcoming walkman phones from sony like it? Looking for a candybar walkman phone with a >= 3.2 MP camera

hunt3r said:
Hey, any idea on how good the Sony Ericsson W902 is? Are there any upcoming walkman phones from sony like it? Looking for a candybar walkman phone with a >= 3.2 MP camera

w902 is a good phone in that range

pro's

sound quality

camera

led flash

con's

video quality

video format support

no good candybar walkman phones coming early another good walkman about to release is w995 but it is a slider and will cost more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back