The Motorola Defy Thread

Hey Guys,

I see that there are a lot of Defy owners here in TE. Just thought we could have a single thread to share all the tips and tricks, discuss all the concerns and brag about your achivements;). Also, would be great if people who have modded their mobiles could post some screenshots. I will start the trend by posting mine :)

Defy Wiki Link - Here

Updating this post with the list of custom ROM's with instructions on how to install them.

Gingerbread:

CM7:

ROM - CM7

Nightlies - Nightlies

FAQ - CM7 FAQ

MIUI:

Original - MIUI

US(English) Version - Miui.us

Custom MIUI - WajkIUI

Custom leaked GB

Motoginger - Motoginger

JBoogie3 Blurry Ginger - Blurry Ginger

JBoogie3 LiquidArc Gingerbread - Liquidarc Gingerbread

MS2Ginger 2.3.4 - MS2 Ginger

Those who want to use the official Indian Froyo or want to flash it for warranty purposes, HERE is the full sbf.

All these threads have instructions on how to install. Just my 2 cents below :

1. First root the device using Superoneclick (Turn USB Debugging on in Settings --> Applications ---> Development). Download Superoneclick and run Superoneclick.exe in your pc. Note that the mobile needs to be connected to the pc and the Motorola USB drivers installed in the pc. After 10 odd seconds, you will get a notice that root success, reboot). You will find the required apps HERE. Also download the ROM you would like to flash. Links in the OP.

2.Optimally,you need to have Nordic Froyo installed beforehand.

- Download RSDlite, you will find it in the link above.

- Go to stock recovery [ hold the Vol- button and then press the power button. You will get the M logo and then the android robot. Press Vol- and Vol+ simultaneously ], wipe CACHE and DATA (Very important before flashing)

- Reboot and immediately hold the Vol+ button. This will take you to Bootloader.

- Open installed RSDlite, it will detect your phone. At the top, select the SBF you want to flash, in this case Nordic, and click start. Let it complete, once it is done, your Nordic Rom is ready .

3. Root the device again. Also download 2ndInit Recovery Installer 1.4_2 from the link given above and install. Turn "USB Debugging ON" before install. After installing the app, open it and click on the first option (dont remember what it reads, install something... bootmenu i guess) Click on install, you led will flash green once installation is complete. Turn "USB Debugging OFF" and reboot. During reboot it will take you to bootmenu, click on boot (use Power button to select and volume keys to browse), normal and boot the device. Reboot again and do the same thing. Essentilly, you need to reboot Normal twice.

3. Once you are done with this, reboot again. In the bootmenu, click on Boot --> Set Default --> 2nd Init. Once this is done, Go Back --> Recovery --> Custom Recovery --> Wipe Cache/ Data(Factory Reset).

4. Once done, select Install Zip from SD Card --> Choose Zip --> Select the rom you have downloaded (Can be CM7, MIUI or WajkIUI 1.7.15) and click on install. Reboot and enjoy the custom ROM.

NOTE: These instructions are only for CM7 and MIUI. The Leaked GB's are a Nandroid Backup and Fixed SBF variety.

Thanks a lot for all the developers who have made Defy a great device to have ;)

Attachments

• 20110528202144.jpg
    20110528202144.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 20110528202014.jpg
    20110528202014.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 20110528202436.jpg
    20110528202436.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 20110528201926.jpg
    20110528201926.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 369
  • 20110528201819.jpg
    20110528201819.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 307
I'll be the newest owner :p Ordered Defy from LetsBuy on 27th. Hoping to receive it by Monday or at amx, Tuesday :)

BTW which app is taht which is showing you how much data you have utilised?

Me too a defy owner,luv the phone.

Updated the other day to froyo, now waiting to gingerbread it via CM7!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Aman27deep said:
I'll be the newest owner :p Ordered Defy from LetsBuy on 27th. Hoping to receive it by Monday or at amx, Tuesday :)

BTW which app is taht which is showing you how much data you have utilised?

Its 3G Watchdog.

superhuman said:
How did u update it? I am not able to update. The links given do no show DEFY in the list for India. :(
Rumour has it that Moto will re-release the Indian DEFY FroYo update within a couple of days with bugfixes.. This is what happened for the US (T-Mobile) Moto users too. They first released the update for a couple of days, got the feedback and then they re-released it again..

globalsaints in Moto Owners forum said:
I no longer see update for Defy is available in the India site. When i checked with CS team, they said it was a test release and due to some bugs it is rescheduled for a release on a later date. This confirms there are some bugs which MOTO is still trying to rectify before the offficial release in India.

I think we need to wait for another week..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

killmastern3 said:
Hey Guys,

I see that there are a lot of Defy owners here in TE. Just thought we could have a single thread to share all the tips and tricks, discuss all the concerns and brag about your achivements;). Also, would be great if people who have modded their mobiles could post some screenshots. I will start the trend by posting mine :)

Great Idea :D. If the Mods could make this a sticky, then it'd be nice..

BTW, your screens look awesome :eek:hyeah: .. CM7?...

wolvish said:
Rumour has it that Moto will re-release the Indian DEFY FroYo update within a couple of days with bugfixes.. This is what happened for the US (T-Mobile) Moto users too. They first released the update for a couple of days, got the feedback and then they re-released it again..

Great Idea :D. If the Mods could make this a sticky, then it'd be nice..

BTW, your screens look awesome :eek:hyeah: .. CM7?...
Ohh yeah.... CM7 in all its glory. :)

Well, another DEFY owner here. So far, its been a great experience. I would take this over the Galaxy SL anyday!

btw, I had updated to 2.2, now I guess will have to update again with the re-release.

A question fo all of you: can u guys add facebook in My accounts? I cant get it to work, nothing happens when i select the facebook option ( i would like to sync contacts from facebook as well).

Owner of moto defy since last month, have tata docomo 3g connection can some one tell me how to use 3g hotspot and internet teethering.?

kris_one said:
Well, another DEFY owner here. So far, its been a great experience. I would take this over the Galaxy SL anyday!

btw, I had updated to 2.2, now I guess will have to update again with the re-release.

Yes, we have to update again I guess.

A question fo all of you: can u guys add facebook in My accounts? I cant get it to work, nothing happens when i select the facebook option ( i would like to sync contacts from facebook as well).
Nope.. Facebook integration was incomplete with the Official 2.1 and still incomplete with 2.2. So I've switched to contapps, which has tons of features over the stock app.. (Still figuring out how to integrate FB into it though..)

Little heads up with the integration. Don't integrate your twitter account into contacts.. It created 247 separate contacts of the things/people I've been following on twitter, which then synced online to my Gmail account :(.. I had to manually delete the unwanted items..

kris_one said:

OT: Can you please elaborate? Galaxy SL is better in every specification, so where does the Defy beat the SL?

Just upgraded to the latest CM7 nightly. WVGA recording is now working :). Can also take widescreen snaps. Got a quadrant benchmark score of 1841. It's a far cry from the 650 I got in éclair and around 1000 in FroYo. Most of the minor bugs are fixed too. Stable version should be out soon.

@killmastern3: Good to know dude.. I was pretty impressed with your first screens itself.. After CM7 final update, please guide me through the process. I don't care about the warranty anymore.. :)

kris_one said:

sato1986 said:
OT: Can you please elaborate? Galaxy SL is better in every specification, so where does the Defy beat the SL?

BoRNTeRRI3T said:
^^ put both the phones in water and u will see the clear winnerrr DEFFFYYYYY
Oh I totally forgot that we are aquatic mammals. My bad.

And on the same note, I've read the so-called break-proof defy is facing acute build quality issues?

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...widespread-earpiece-failures.html#post2420766

Anyone using its wired handsfree on a regular basis and facing phone-earpiece related problems?

Guys guys, c'mon this thread is not for comparing phones and deciding a winner. It's for getting help, tweaking and getting the best of what you own..

@ sato1986: It WAS a build quality issue. Moto gave replacement to those who had those defective units and all the fresh ones are good..

wolvish said:
It WAS a build quality issue. Moto gave replacement to those who had those defective units and all the fresh ones are good..

So you are using the Defy's wired-handsfree and not facing any phone-earpiece issues? Need more feedback from Defy users.

Back