The Motorola Defy Thread

sato1986 said:
So you are using the Defy's wired-handsfree and not facing any phone-earpiece issues? Need more feedback from Defy users.
My Defy's wired-handsfree is still in its pouch unopened.. Cant help you there. But i am sure there are no issues as such. This problem was rectified way back in November or so.

Btw, there is a new version of leaker official 2.3 out. Everything is working fine. Camera works only for ones who have a red lens though (i have one :)). Will be installing this as soon as the devs find a way to root it. Will post results as soon as i do so.

sato1986 said:
Anyone using its wired handsfree on a regular basis and facing phone-earpiece related problems?

No problem with my phone, i am probably the 1st owner of DEFY in India as i purchased it on 28th Dec 2010 in Hong Kong :), please can some one guide me on the procedure of CM7 :(

Currently I'm running official 2.2.2 SEA on my defy. Can I just root my phone via z4root (it seems simpler TBH) and reduce the bloat, then install set cpu and metamorph (and other useful stuff for rooted phones)?

If I don't want to install a custom ROM (even after rooting), can i just unroot it via z4root to claim warranty? Do I have to re-flash it from an image file?

wolvish said:
Currently I'm running official 2.2.2 SEA on my defy. Can I just root my phone via z4root (it seems simpler TBH) and reduce the bloat, then install set cpu and metamorph (and other useful stuff for rooted phones)?

If I don't want to install a custom ROM (even after rooting), can i just unroot it via z4root to claim warranty? Do I have to re-flash it from an image file?
I guess you can, but now SuperOneClick runs in one go

wolvish said:

I donot know about that.. Z4root didnt work for me. Using Superoneclick.

nikolain said:
+1,

I'm loving CM7, any update on when 720P recording is coming ?
RC0 was released today.. Updating now. 720P recoding probably depends on your lens color. If it is red, yes you can get 720p, do not know when though.

killmastern3 said:
RC0 was released today.. Updating now. 720P recoding probably depends on your lens color. If it is red, yes you can get 720p, do not know when though.

what is RC0 ?, also do you face any GPS problem, coz my GPS is taking a lot of time to lock on my current position

6) Can I restore my phone to send it to warranty after flashing CM7?
- You can in these two situations
1 - You have a full SBF of your original ROM (for carriers that already released 2.2 is very easy to find one)
2 - You have a nandroid backup AND a fixed SBF of the version you need.
Quick question:

Considering option 1, I have the official ROM (full sbf, 2.2.2 for India) downloaded from xda. If I flash to CM7, can I re-flash it with the official full sbf to claim warranty? Considering the scenario that I only have contacts and sms to restore and I don't want to restore settings, apps and all. I like to do them anew (even if it takes time).

Technically, that would be like formatting the drive which has the operating system, instead of restoring an image.. Is that possible? Is Nandroid Backup + fixed sbf is the only way to go back to the stock OS to claim warranty?

P.S. - I still don't get what fixed sbf is. Can anyone help?

plz can anyone tell me how to use internet teethering on defy 2.1 (says ask ur service. provider for teethering apn, though internet runs fine on my fine on my cell) also how to use 3g hotspot on d cell.

wolvish said:
Quick question:

Considering option 1, I have the official ROM (full sbf, 2.2.2 for India) downloaded from xda. If I flash to CM7, can I re-flash it with the official full sbf to claim warranty? Considering the scenario that I only have contacts and sms to restore and I don't want to restore settings, apps and all. I like to do them anew (even if it takes time).

Technically, that would be like formatting the drive which has the operating system, instead of restoring an image.. Is that possible? Is Nandroid Backup + fixed sbf is the only way to go back to the stock OS to claim warranty?

P.S. - I still don't get what fixed sbf is. Can anyone help?
As long as you have the full Indian SBF, go ahead and flash any custom rom you want. If you need to claim warranty, just flash the original SBF and you are good to go.

Installed MIUI today. And removed it too. Not as good as CM7. Now i am running official leaked 2.3.3 and its awesome :)

BTW, i love the new TE ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

nikolain said:
what is RC0 ?, also do you face any GPS problem, coz my GPS is taking a lot of time to lock on my current position
RC0 is a release candidate, the latest version of CM7. To update to RC0, just boot into custom recovery and flash the zip (i.e if you are in Beta6). Its far better than beta6. You dont have to wipe anything and all you apps and settings remain the same.

I recently moved to CM7 on my Defy, luving it so far!

But I do miss the 3g hotspot app which was stock with the Defy! Anybody know any replacement? I found some apps but most of them do Ad-Hoc, But I want infrastructure mode.

Itching to try the RC0, maybe I will wait for a stable release.

killmastern3 said:
As long as you have the full Indian SBF, go ahead and flash any custom rom you want. If you need to claim warranty, just flash the original SBF and you are good to go.
Ah, the answer I've been searching for the whole day (in both xda and TE).. Thanks mate, you've made my day... :clap:
I remember you saying some day back that your warranty is long gone. You could use this trick right?

Now i am running official leaked 2.3.3 and its awesome :)

Really? This thing? SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers

BTW, i love the new TE ;)

Yup, me too, love it.. :)

wolvish said:
Ah, the answer I've been searching for the whole day (in both xda and TE).. Thanks mate, you've made my day... :clap:

I remember you saying some day back that your warranty is long gone. You could use this trick right?

Really? This thing? SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers

Yup, me too, love it.. :)
Yup, i can do that now too.. I told that before the 2.2 for India was released.

I flashed this ROM. [ROM] MotoBlur 2.3.3

Its good, but cant match CM7. Back to CM7 now. Guess i have to change my siggy again :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

netarchie said:
I recently moved to CM7 on my Defy, luving it so far!

But I do miss the 3g hotspot app which was stock with the Defy! Anybody know any replacement? I found some apps but most of them do Ad-Hoc, But I want infrastructure mode.

Itching to try the RC0, maybe I will wait for a stable release.
If you are using Beta6, just download the RC and flash it. You neednot do anything else and you will not lose anything too. Believe me, its far better than Beta6.

sato1986 said:
OT: Can you please elaborate? Galaxy SL is better in every specification, so where does the Defy beat the SL?
To each his own ..
Both are quite similar in internal HW.

Along the differences.

Galaxy SL
- has 4" screen (if you prefer bigger estate).
- has SLCD.
- 4 Gig Internal Memory.
- 720p recording.
- 1Ghz
- Front Cam

Moto Defy
- Camera Flash
- IP67 Certified
- Much much tougher build
- A little Gingerbread now !!
- 720p recording (by hack)
- much more dense LCD (higher res at smaller screen size)
- 800Mhz(actually meant to run at 1Ghz so trouble OC'ing)

Apps are painfully lagging now. When I had updated to Froyo, things were quite snappy. Have recently installed Launcher EX, maybe thats the culprit. But then how do I get the best of pimping the UI and performance. Nothing to mimic or better than HTC sense for my Defy?

AsidXxx said:
Apps are painfully lagging now. When I had updated to Froyo, things were quite snappy. Have recently installed Launcher EX, maybe thats the culprit. But then how do I get the best of pimping the UI and performance. Nothing to mimic or better than HTC sense for my Defy?
You could overclock to 1ghz. Also, maybe try ADW launcher.

Back