The Motorola Defy Thread

Was getting bored yesterday. First thought of rooting the phone.

Installed titanium.

Then again thought let me try Custom Recovery...Tried Successfull

I was very unreluctant to try CM7 thinking that there is a probabality of bricking my phone. I had very poor knowledge on rooting and custom Roms.

Sacrificed one night's sleep, Went to XDA followed the guide and after few hiccups installed CM7. Everything sucssesfull.

I have to say WOW. My phone is completely different now. I am not saying about the appearance but the whole touch feel, speed and responsiveness.

The interaction has completely changed. It is like I have been cheated by motorola's software.

Although the benchmark score means nothing in practial scenarios but still te Quadrant score earlier was around 1000 but now it is 2100+. Even the stock galaxy is around 1000 itself.

I was earlier wondering how can a 800Mhz processor lag when my old Nokia with a 400Mhz old architecture processor was relatively smooth. It is only due to the crap coding by these mobile companies.

For people who want more and are not satisfied, who can take a little risk wait no more. Head over to the below thread read the FAQ's and dump the crap motos*it

[DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers

can any1 tell whats the manufacturing date of defy from letsbuy ?

i asked the ebay seller and he said march ,2011 . Just want to confirm whether I will get 2.2 out of the box ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

maddu5731 said:
^^ can you please provide the above mentioned ebay coupon details.....

Thnx in advance
ebay coupons are acc. locked .. I got one 10% max 1K coupon ... ask in ebay thread

What would be the difference even if you get 2.1. Why do you want get 2.2 only.

You should be more concerned about the Ear peice problem. Since the 2011 stock has certainly reduced this problem you should have no issues even if you get 2.1 or 2.2.

There are different builds even in 2.2 are you concerned about that also....

^^^ yes i was also concerned about the earpiece problem and the lens -red/green thingy ..

So even early 2011 stock has no ear-piece problem ? Just don't want to end up with any problem trying to save a couple of hundred bucks :p

for those going to upgrade to 2.2 froyo through the "OFFICIAL" (moto)route, is the INDIAN version the BEST to have? or are there any better "Motorola" released different country version 2.2 froyo,to upgrade to?

^^Not sure about that, but there are a couple of changes with the last froyo release and the new one. Moto people are suggesting to upgrade to their newer release (even if you have flashed the older froyo).. It proves that their last release was not the final froyo update.. Also I read somewhere that MOTO DEFY will never get official 720p video recording. :(

If you are going to try CM7 or MIUI, the recommended version to flash is Nordic Froyo..

^^ as like everybody else,i also have my eyes set on Defy specific custom roms of cm7 or miui but on a later date,till then i would just make a simple (official) upgrade to 2.2...the phone is still on stock 2.1,simply because i got conflicting reports to which 2.2 is better to upgrade to & the previous indian release was half-baked & the nordic froyo being best....i however didn't go with the nordic one cause that was NOT our country specific release & thought there might be issues with moto later on....Now since Moto INDIA again released the froyo upgrade for defy,is it now the FINAL bug fixed edition...& is the Perfect froyo to upgrade to?

Also cant we go for Defy specific roms of cm7 or miui,...post flashing the Indian Defy with the Indian (latest) official froyo by moto?....or it has only to have the nordic froyo installed to jump to cm7/miui/etc?

^^ On the official Froyo indian ROM there are no specific problems to any of the indian builds. None have reorted any issue occuring repeatedly.

Techie#1 said:
^^ as like everybody else,i also have my eyes set on Defy specific custom roms of cm7 or miui but on a later date,till then i would just make a simple (official) upgrade to 2.2...the phone is still on stock 2.1,simply because i got conflicting reports to which 2.2 is better to upgrade to & the previous indian release was half-baked & the nordic froyo being best....i however didn't go with the nordic one cause that was NOT our country specific release & thought there might be issues with moto later on....Now since Moto INDIA again released the froyo upgrade for defy,is it now the FINAL bug fixed edition...& is the Perfect froyo to upgrade to?

Yes, you could do that as sg3707 suggested, but you'll get bored with it for sure.. :bleh:

Also cant we go for Defy specific roms of cm7 or miui,...post flashing the Indian Defy with the Indian (latest) official froyo by moto?....or it has only to have the nordic froyo installed to jump to cm7/miui/etc?

AFAIK, both CM7 for DEFY and MIUI are build from the same source, the leaked nordic froyo. In XDA, one Indian user had posted that he had problems when upgrading from Indian froyo to CM7.. That's why..

so,what do u guys suggest...root the phone & directly go to CM7 or MIUI without even bothering for the official Indian(Final) Moto Froyo?..if that's the case is there any gingerbred 2.3 defy specific roms with 720p v.recording that works perfectly without any hiccups...any1 tried that route...stock 2.1 to hacked 2.3 ?

1. Get the mirror of the Indian froyo and keep it safe in your PC. DON'T FLASH IT YET. You need it only when you need to take your phone to warranty..

2. You can't update directly to 2.3 without flashing 2.2.

3. this thread [FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers

4. Read around a little bit in that forum before starting the process, also in Addictive Tips - Tips to make you smarter! about the various partitions in the phone..

If you have further doubts, send a PM to me or Killmastern.. :)

quick question by an Android noob - Are any of u guys old symbian phone users...particularly N series with OS 9.3 FP2 ? How does this phone stand up to an N78(I'm using this right now) wrt features/apps/general experience ? Will this phone be a good upgrade.

Opinions please.

P.S My N78 is hacked by the way with HelloOX 2:)

^thanks Pal....rember getting the indian froyo from xda few weeks ago..but dont remember if that was the final or pre-release...i think i'm do a 2nd down!....& go likewise!...

Techie#1 said:
so,what do u guys suggest...root the phone & directly go to CM7 or MIUI without even bothering for the official Indian(Final) Moto Froyo?..if that's the case is there any gingerbred 2.3 defy specific roms with 720p v.recording that works perfectly without any hiccups...any1 tried that route...stock 2.1 to hacked 2.3 ?
There is a hack posted by Walter79 in XDA for 720p video recording. I have got it in my defy and it works!! I am running the test version of motoginger but it has some bugs.

Motoginger - [ROM] MotoGinger 2.3.4 (3rd test) - xda-developers

720p recording hack - [MOD]720p record and play for Gingerbread Stock Roms - xda-developers

There is also a Froyo rom which can record 720p videos. [ROM]MS2-Froyo-720p video recording (07.09.2011) beta 2 - xda-developers

A quick question. I am on Stock 2.2 india sea 15, can i go ahead and install CM7 using guide on XDA forums? Or do i need to install some other froyo first?

you will have follow the guide step by step. Read FAQ even if you dont understand a bit just READ. everything will make sense later.

You have to use fixed SDF and nandroid back up menthod to return back to ur stock froyo in case u mess something up.

basically the cocept for CM7 onstallation on defy is

1) Root

2) Install Custom Recovery (Optional is use titanium to backup ur apps and everything else)

3) nandroid back up

4) Install nordic froyo (using fixed sbf method)

5) Again root and install recovery

6) Install CM7 through recovery

7) Enjoy CM7 and forget Motos*it

No need to wait for any update. Complete freedom.

Guys who are already on CM7. Although battery was 1 day earlier now also is gives me 1 day only. Did u find any improvement......

Display now seem to suck 1/2 of the battery...LoLz and it is always is set to the lowest brightness....

one very imp issue i forgot to ask u all...isn't Android a very insecure platform,particularly with all the Thirdy party apps asking u "deep level" permission of access for allmost all over the phone,to install & operate?...So with all the access permission granted,isn't it a very dangerous/insecure & vulnerble device to have & operate,particularly when there is Net accesss to it 24x7 ???..so don't we need a kind of firewall for such a device or isn't any kind of Internet Security quite important here?

& while installing this third party roms...don't u make ur phone even more vulnerable on top of this?

*the context of this question is most imp, while someone tries to save important/confidential datas or passwords on the phone by TPA, but have a hard time convincing himself of the level of security of the phone!

** Also,are Full /Pro /ahem versionapps,NOT from the OFFICIAL Gooogle Android Mkt safe to install?

Back