The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Since a lot of people here have these phones and they run the same OS, Its better to have a dedicated thread with all the info.

Hacking / Installing a root cert

1) Download Hello OX 2.03 from here :

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download HelloOX2.v2.03.Unsigned.zip
2) Goto Symbian Certificate Application and software online signing - OPDA.CN , register , then login , click on Apply cer , enter Model , IMEI and a name and submit application , then after some time (can take upto 24 hours) your certificate will be ready .
3) Login and you will see the certificate , download the .cer and the .key file in front of it
4) Download SISSigner : 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download SISSignerInstall.zip , in the first box select the .key file , in the second the .cer file enter 12345678 in the third box , select the Hello OX 2.03 you downloaded in the fourth box , then first press the button on the left , then on the right
5) Install the HelloOX sis file on your phone , restart , goto apps >> ROMPatcher+ >> Tick Installserver_FP2 and options >> auto on startup .
Thats it , after that you can install apps without worrying about certificate errors . To unhack your phone , goto Hello Ox in apps , select unhack .

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone Memory reduced after some use ?

How to free up space on disk C on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - All About Symbian Feature

MOD :

If you want the Music Player to display files from only a particular folder and not display your ringtones etc .

http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/the-nokia-5230-5233-thread-162323-23.html#post1522976

Recommended Free Apps

Free iSMS - iPhone-style SMS manager

SlideUnlock - iPhone Style Finger Gesture Unlock

XpressSketch

[youtube]prwjO7MDHug[/youtube]

Opera Mobile 10

Opera Mini & Opera Mobile browsers

3D Photo Browser

Nokia Photo Browser | Beta Labs

Snaptu - Suite of Social Networking / feed apps

Snaptu - a world of free apps on any phone

Fring! - All in One Messenger

fring- talk, video, chat and interact with Skype, MSN Messenger, Google Talk, ICQ, SIP, Facebook, Yahoo! and AIM

Some Free Games :

Nokia Touch Solitaire :

http://tinyurl.com/Solitaire5800

Boomshine :

boomshine.rar

Wave Blazer :

Ovi Store: Wave Blazer

Checking IMEI :

*#06#

Checking Software version and updates :

*#0000#

Soft Reset :

*#7370#

jRE 2.0 for Making Java Apps run smoother :

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-java-runtime-20-for-s60

Nokia Diagnostics for Diagnosing Phone Problems :

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-diagnostics

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Modding the Homescreen / Getting widgets on it

If you have seen the n97/mini , you will realize that widgets are extremely useful , unfortunately , other s60v5 devices dont support them , So you can use the Orange Tsunami Homescreen for them .

orangehs1.jpg

Further info / Installation Procedure :

http://ghost301tech.wordpress.com/2...e-for-nokia-x6-orange-tsunami-symbian-60-5th/

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=23514.0

Manu, thanks a lot for opening such a thread. This is really needed. Thanks again.

I have a query....Does hacking the phone involve the above mentioned certificate related steps only ??? That's it ??

My phone seems to be settings shy. Whenever i do any changes to settings like brightness level change etc, phone restarts. It happens randomly and there is no step by step procedure to reproduce the issue. But 3 out of 5 times it restarts when i enter into settings.

I am facing this random shutdown issues with my 5230. The phone just shuts and restarts on its own. Mainly happens when i am messaging but is not limited to it. Moreover after shutoff it self restarts but if the memory card is inside it freezes on nokia white screen. So i have to remove memory card and restart the phone.
I am not sure what is the culprit, whether it is my installed class 6 transcend 4gb card or anything else.
How do i format my phone ?

*#7370#. It will ask for a password. Enter 12345

Make sure you have backed up your data before formatting. I take no responsibility for any data loss. :p

Thanks for the nice guide.

I tried the above procedure on my 5233. I signed the application Hellox and when I tried to install it, I got error saying Can not install, Constrained by the certificate.

How to by pass it?

SumitB said:
*#7370#. It will ask for a password. Enter 12345

Make sure you have backed up your data before formatting. I take no responsibility for any data loss. :p

I yesterday backed up my phone memory (contacts, message etc) which amounted to around 38MB, using the nokia PC suite. Is this the most credible way of taking the backup or should i try some other alternative also simultaneously. I do not want to risk loosing my contacts, messages etc.

Edit: So i checked on the net and found that many people are facing this random restart problem with 5230 with version V12.0.089 :mad:

I really hope nokia releases a new fix for this. It is a wide spread problem and not an isolated case :(

thenvk said:
Thanks for the nice guide.

I tried the above procedure on my 5233. I signed the application Hellox and when I tried to install it, I got error saying Can not install, Constrained by the certificate.
How to by pass it?
Did you enter the correct IMEI on opda ? And did you use the SISSigner correctly for signing the app ? Also check settings >> apps >> Installation settings . Online certificate check should be off.

Yes, but you will still have to sign it , for that you'll have to follow steps 2-4 of the hacking tutorial and instead of Hello OX , sign this and install.

Nice thread OP.

Don't know if its only me but my week old 5230 has got pathetic battery life. Even if I don't do anything on it, the full battery will discharge to TURNED OFF state, in less than 24 hours.

Whats wrong :(

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Nice thread OP.

Don't know if its only me but my week old 5230 has got pathetic battery life. Even if I don't do anything on it, the full battery will discharge to TURNED OFF state, in less than 24 hours.

Whats wrong :(
hmmm thats really weird :S , discharge complete once and keep it for charge for 4-5 hours , then check , if the problem battery life still poor , its better check with your dealer
to give you a slight idea about this handset battery power , i am online whole day and surfing for 1 hour at least daily + some music = at least 1 and half day , so with just basic functionality , battery juice should be around 3 days at least

Superb thread, especially when I will be buying 5800XM tomorrow. Thanks.

Please post more apps. :)

One question: With Fring, can I make Skype calls through wifi?

Back