The Notion Ink - Adam thread

Checksum said:
its like biting into a bad fruit. This is stupid. $50 for shipping in India to India? lol.

What's with the 10 day return obsession here? This is getting absurd on their part. Even with EMS/DHL it takes atleast 4-5 days to arrive. Then customs cool it for a week-month in their warehouses if somethings wrong. Haven't they thought of that? I bet not.

There are 35 tablets (according to Intel) being released in 2011 based on Intels chips. Time to wait for one of those (preferably windows based) i suppose than get something that is so vague in features and policy.

I hope this makes it to the retail market soon enough, I can't wait forever.

I have already been waiting for ages to get my hands on the Archos 43, but it was sold out as soon as it was launched and its still out of stock.

yep no use wading in right now with no pics/videos or even the specs of different tablets.Notion Ink has shot itself with its greed.wtf who charges for shipment of doa units.They have a great product but a huge disaster.better wait and watch and if you can see the product in hand and play around with it then we can make a decison.

meanwhile the shipping has been revised to 6-8 weeks ie somewhere in feb.who would be stupid enough to block 30k for 2 months?.Their returns are only for 10 calender days(emphasis on calender)not working days.Asking for pan and ssn for activation.wtf?.

what a disaster.

They should have had a good pr team/legal team/marketing team in place.Instead it is a one man show.How much can one man handle.jeez

this wont make it to the retain until end of Jan..that is, if the are able to fulfil the pre-orders by then.

1st they earn your confidence and then they earn on your confidence. (with stupid conversion rates and shipping charges, couple it with unjustified return policy)

50 USD for shipping to India is outrageous. But then we do not know from where it will be shipped anyway. Or has it been mentioned somewhere? Shipping within India shouldn't cost more than Rs. 500 IMO.

What I find even more surprising is that there are no actual product pics/demos. Is it because there might still be changes to the design? And doesn't the US have rules which force a company to publish finalized pics when you put a product on sale?

^latest update from the wordpress says it is being shipped from china.

says shipping to russia takes $180 but still they are maintaining $50 global shipping rates. who is asking them to offset shipping to russia to other countries?

another made in china?

they were planning to release videos and reviews after CES 2011 which is jan 2nd week but now they are plnning to release a video on 18th dec.

This is just a pre-order and im gonna wait untill there are proper reviews and availability locally.

in the mean time im going to purchase viewsonic gtablet if i can.

^ that means another 5-6K on customs duties making the cost around 35K. Then if its DOA, ship it to bangalore or china? and shipping charges? hell...

6pack said:
^ that means another 5-6K on customs duties making the cost around 35K. Then if its DOA, ship it to bangalore or china? and shipping charges? hell...
he is talking about viewsonic gtablet.

g tablet is malata rebrand, but again, a vfm at $279 (at some sears outlets)

wont buy at $399 :p

time to contact amarbir to import notionInk? :p

madnav said:
he is talking about viewsonic gtablet.

g tablet is malata rebrand, but again, a vfm at $279 (at some sears outlets)

wont buy at $399 :p

time to contact amarbir to import notionInk? :p
:) that ^ was in reply to your post. i meant if the Adam is shipped from china then... insert my previous post here....

At 35-40K the Adam does not look like vfm anymore to me.

6pack said:
:) that ^ was in reply to your post. i meant if the Adam is shipped from china then... insert my previous post here....

At 35-40K the Adam does not look like vfm anymore to me.
at the beginning i was hoping that adam was to be manufactured in india thus pricing shall be lower than expected $499 mark ($ was around 43 then)

but stupid me, how can i expect india to manufacture, we are tech support guys :p

anyways, targeted pricing of 35-40k defeats the purpose of even purchasing adam, it was supposed to be VFM and i guess xda wont be too late to incorporate UI and fuctionality feature over other tegra2 based tablets. (like keyboard and digitizer)

the PixelQi display is compatible with pin layout of g-tablet, what is what the devs at xda discovered but did not incorporate as the display in loose was costing on the lines of $300..

moreover, for those anticipating Moorestown, they are gonna costs $800 and upwards for usable ones... the cpu is supposed to power hungry compared to current arm lineup and which means that manufacturer's will have to incorporate pixelQi or other low power consuming display panels...which doesnt feel good on pocket for the time being.

guys, please refer the latest updates by Rohan in his forum. anyhow, I had booked PixelQ's 3G one and I can wait till Feb'11 for this great product.

^ i read that post. If he's comparing his product to Apple's and Dell's he should be ready to give similar type of quality. Apple puts IPS panels on their ipad not a TN one like this. dell's streak cant be compared here since its just 5 inch, but their marketing, shipping, etc is great. @40K the Adam comes in direct comparison to only ipad cause of the battery performance it has. If you gave 40k to someone and told them to choose between the two guess which one they would? fruit brand wins heads and heels over this no-name one.

6pack said:
^ i read that post. If he's comparing his product to Apple's and Dell's he should be ready to give similar type of quality. Apple puts IPS panels on their ipad not a TN one like this. dell's streak cant be compared here since its just 5 inch, but their marketing, shipping, etc is great. @40K the Adam comes in direct comparison to only ipad cause of the battery performance it has. If you gave 40k to someone and told them to choose between the two guess which one they would? fruit brand wins heads and heels over this no-name one.
PixelQI means nothing to you?

6pack said:
I don't think there would be any differences in terms of quality. If iPad has IPS, Adam has PixelQi. Also all such products are manufactured in china. Even the much glorified iPads are manufactured on one of the worst assembly lines in china regardless of how Apple some how managed to keep the American company, American manufactured product misconception alive. So the main difference is not the quality but the brand value of the respective companies.

In any case this is all a major fail from Rohan's side and the so very apparently intentional negative PR from Engadget and CrunchGear (which has already been going on for months now) is going to make things even worse. Especially CrunchGear writers are not only Fanboyish, but racist as well.

They have been eagerly waiting for the ammo to kill Notion Ink even before they take their baby steps and how Notion Ink themselves provided them with the very thing they needed.

Back