The Photography Thread !

Lol using a Pseudo GND filter approach in Photoshop. Was adding a layer of granuated tool, and was using the overlay setting. This results in a dark corner, can correct it but too much layer/masking involved :p besides I am a sucker for post process vignetting..

Doc: I feel the picture is too tightly cropped, a lil more background would add perspective.

Pranav: Brilliant snap!!

Anshul: Seems like you are finding your niche, in capturing long exposure sunsets :)

@ aces, there are a few beaches nearby so I might as well make the most of it. It's a great place for practice before I go searching for the most beautiful landscapes in the country.

@aces170 : the frame is just as it is I framed it thus way only to highlight the top of the tombs in a cemetry here, there are many others from same shoot which will come one by one :D.

my last photo post Grand Architecture was from same shoot. :p

Thanks for the inputs

Hello, here is my 1st attempt at photography and pp after seeing u guys take some amazing shots...

this is my 1st attempt, i know its not that good. but i think its good enough :p

tell me what u think, and what i need to improve on..

this was taken in a P & S sony t-200 cam, under low light without flash and lated pp'd

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tell me what u think :p

and im planning on buying a dslr, is canon 550D a good 1 to start off with ?

I have a very basic question to the pros here. There is mention of using Photoshop on most of the really outstanding pictures here. My question is, is it just not possible to get great pictures naturally? As in, can't the original beat a Photoshoped one?

Depends on your tastes but the short answer is yes the photoshopped one will beat the original.

See the original may be just fine for most everyone but chances are there are always somethings you may wish to change. Maybe the sky is a bit overexposed and you need to tone that down. Or sharpness is lacking in your subject and you wish to selectively sharpen it. Or there maybe a small branch intruding in your frame that you wish to remove.

So chances are that in almost ALL your snaps a bit of photoshoping can help it. Also do not that photoshoped is a generic word. You can get similar results with other image editors like Lightroom, Picassa etc.

I photoshop 100% of whatever snaps I publish only because I shoot RAW and so I NEED to photoshop it. Some photos require heavy manipulating with selective sharpening, select contrast adjustment, saturation bump, wb tuning, colour mixer, correcting distortion, vignetting, removing dust spots, correcting an overexposed sky etc.

I have a very basic question to the pros here. There is mention of using Photoshop on most of the really outstanding pictures here. My question is, is it just not possible to get great pictures naturally? As in, can't the original beat a Photoshoped one?

There are a lot of small things which can be corrected faster while post processing. White balance and a bit of exposure corrections are the prime examples, see photography is not about getting a technically perfect picture, but rather about getting the artistically correct picture. So people spend more time composing pictures, rather then making sure the technical nitty gritties are perfect.

Plus I am a sucker for tones, which give more depth to photos IMO :)

Back