The Raspberry Pi Thread

Did you run a backup using dietpi-backup to your attached HDD before install/uninstall?

If not then welcome to the same mistakes I made in the early days.

You really think I would miss this important step? Damn right i did miss. :(
Well...back to square 1 and setting up everything. I did backup sonarr but no clue if it was on hdd or card.
@Marcus Fenix So now after I do everything (installing softwares, setup sonarr, radarr, qbittorrent etc), what are the best practices to be followed to avoid something like this ?

Last edited:
You really think I would miss this important step? Damn right i did miss. :(
Well...back to square 1 and setting up everything. I did backup sonarr but no clue if it was on hdd or card.
@Marcus Fenix So now after I do everything (installing softwares, setup sonarr, radarr, qbittorrent etc), what are the best practices to be followed to avoid something like this ?
The best practice I follow is backup the drive using dietpi-backup every Sunday and backup before I start messing around with installations.
I wrote a script to copy the backup folder to another dated folder so that I can roll back to a version older than the latest backup as well.

As you can see the system_backup* folders are dated backups which have saved my cookie more than once.
1623507804137.png

Is there a script to schedule automatic backup directly to the HDD?
As of now, I have setup everything again and took backup on my external HDD.

Is there a script to schedule automatic backup directly to the HDD?
As of now, I have setup everything again and took backup on my external HDD.
#!/bin/bash

#-#NordVPN OPVN Configuration Update
# cd /etc/openvpn
# apt-get install ca-certificates
# wget https://downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/servers/ovpn.zip
# unzip -uv ovpn.zip -d /etc/openvpn
# rm -vf ovpn.zip

TIMESTAMP=$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S")
#@raksrules change path to USB drive where you put your dietpi-backup folder#
USB_PATH=/mnt/usb1
MAX_BACKUP_DAYS=30
G_USER_UNPUT=0
G_INTERACTIVE=0 /boot/dietpi/dietpi-backup 1
rsync -r --progress "${USB_PATH}/dietpi-backup" "${USB_PATH}/system_backup_${TIMESTAMP}"
# mysqldump DOWNLOADS > "${USB_PATH}/system_backup_${TIMESTAMP}/DOWNLOADS.sql"
find ${USB_PATH} -mindepth 1 -type d -name "system_backup_*" -mtime +${MAX_BACKUP_DAYS} | while read d;
do
echo "Deleting $d"
rm -Rf $d
done

sudo -- sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -y; apt-get dist-upgrade -y; apt-get autoremove -y; apt-get autoclean -y'
pihole -g

Now schedule this to run weekly via crontab e.g.

This runs at 9 Pm every Saturday.
0 21 * * 6 /mnt/dietpi_userdata/scripts/backup.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

Last edited:
Many thanks to @Marcus Fenix for suggesting the passive cooling case. I had already ordered it and have started using it since last 3-4 days and it has helped a lot. I have never seen temps go above 60 degree Celsius which was earlier hovering at 70+ Celsius at similar loads. Infact ambient temperature was cooler in Mumbai until yesterday and at that time I even saw temps below 50 celcius.

Many thanks to @Marcus Fenix for suggesting the passive cooling case. I had already ordered it and have started using it since last 3-4 days and it has helped a lot. I have never seen temps go above 60 degree Celsius which was earlier hovering at 70+ Celsius at similar loads. Infact ambient temperature was cooler in Mumbai until yesterday and at that time I even saw temps below 50 celcius.
Which case? Where you ordered bro? Link helps please

Which case? Where you ordered bro? Link helps please
Theres another option which is pretty darn good and cheaper if you want to attach a SSD to the Pi 4. In my case I had to buy a M.2 to USB SSD enclosure for 2700 Rs.

In my opinion this is the best Pi case in the market.

Thank you

Theres another option which is pretty darn good and cheaper if you want to attach a SSD to the Pi 4. In my case I had to buy a M.2 to USB SSD enclosure for 2700 Rs.

In my opinion this is the best Pi case in the market.
Its economical in the USA, I will try get it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you

Its economical in the USA, I will try get it from there.
Is it? I saw its price is 45 USD which is more or less close to the Indian price. Did you see it at a cheaper price anywhere else?

Let us know the performance once you get it though. I just might move to a single piece unit for my Pi and SSD.

Is it? I saw its price is 45 USD which is more or less close to the Indian price. Did you see it at a cheaper price anywhere else?

Let us know the performance once you get it though. I just might move to a single piece unit for my Pi and SSD.

Sorry I am talking about the one without SSD support.

it is $25 on Amazon

I don't need SSD. Currently, I am not using pi for anything, lying unused for now.

Sorry I am talking about the one without SSD support.

it is $25 on Amazon

I don't need SSD. Currently, I am not using pi for anything, lying unused for now.
Dude then go with the 800 bucks case. No point in spending extra for cooling that your use case doesn't need anyways.

quick question on jellyfin. does it work like plex? where does the transcoding take place? on rpi or client? can we share our libraries with friends like plex?

Why are you guys using Diet Pi for Raspberry pi 4? Isnt raspbian the best?
I tried ubuntu and had issues, so I switched to Raspian for both my Rpi4's in 2019 itself and its been rock solid. Mostly its an idle webserver or a NAS.
Im not sure if you get firmware updates on diet pi.

Any other benefits of using diet pi ? I am using it on an orange pi but never really explored.

Why are you guys using Diet Pi for Raspberry pi 4? Isnt raspbian the best?
I tried ubuntu and had issues, so I switched to Raspian for both my Rpi4's in 2019 itself and its been rock solid. Mostly its an idle webserver or a NAS.
Im not sure if you get firmware updates on diet pi.

Any other benefits of using diet pi ? I am using it on an orange pi but never really explored.
Installation of the highly used applications its much easier as its more or less one-touch.

dietpi is built on top of Raspbian Buster only but it gets rid of quite a few parts to make it slimmer and its a bit more optimized.

Furthermore the logging is done to ramlog by default to make it easier on the SD card.

Firmware updates(eeprom) are not an issue with apt upgrade.

All credits go to @tommy_vercetti :p

quick question on jellyfin. does it work like plex? where does the transcoding take place? on rpi or client? can we share our libraries with friends like plex?

Yes it works like Plex but everything is free, the server part, client apps on all devices. It was taken from emby which was open source but then they made certain parts closed source.

Transcoding happens on the RPI and hardware acceleration is possible too but I have had limited luck with transcoding so I am downloading x264 videos which play fine on my firestick and ipad and also under my user I have turned off transcoding completely.

We can share libraries as far as I know but no clue how. On reddit even there is a sub for jellyfin shares similar to how there is one for plex shares.

I have a seagate 2TB HDD connected to my RPi which runs on DietPI. I may be getting a higher capacity hdd to use with it and I will need to sort of copy everything from the existing hdd to the new one.

I think there is a tool in DietPI to do this but I haven't tried. Anyone has experience doing this? Also my current hdd is mounted as

Code:
/mnt/seagatehdd/

I cannot have same mount on the new HDD right? Or I can? Please be aware that I intend to remove the existing seagate 2TB and use only the new HDD. Because if I can have same mount point then I don't have to go and modify all settings in sonarr, radarr, qbittorrent etc. It may not be a lot of work doing that but I prefer not to do.

I have a seagate 2TB HDD connected to my RPi which runs on DietPI. I may be getting a higher capacity hdd to use with it and I will need to sort of copy everything from the existing hdd to the new one.

I think there is a tool in DietPI to do this but I haven't tried. Anyone has experience doing this? Also my current hdd is mounted as

Code:
/mnt/seagatehdd/

I cannot have same mount on the new HDD right? Or I can? Please be aware that I intend to remove the existing seagate 2TB and use only the new HDD. Because if I can have same mount point then I don't have to go and modify all settings in sonarr, radarr, qbittorrent etc. It may not be a lot of work doing that but I prefer not to do.
you will have to edit /etc/fstab to specify the mount point.
first attach the new hdd and use cp -pr source destination to copy everything. and when everything is ready just mount the new hdd to the same location.

you will have to edit /etc/fstab to specify the mount point.
first attach the new hdd and use cp -pr source destination to copy everything. and when everything is ready just mount the new hdd to the same location.

I am going to read about it but this is the option I am talking about..

IMG_0107.png

IMG_0108.png

rsync is a powerful tool. but if you dont want to do regular backups you can get away with cp command. there is restic backups tool too.

Back