The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Yeah, even Id like to buy a Silicon case and full screen guard. Any ideas about any good quality ones ?

Overall I love my Galaxy S, even with a bit of lag. However, the only thing that has started bugging me is that Samsung didnt give a headset with music controls like what Nokia gives with its N97 (music control and stereo jack for plugging in own earphones). I went to a shop today and tried the N97 ones, the jack works but the music controls dont. It would also have been good if the included headset could skip to the next track on a long press but stupidly it doesnt.

Its things like these where apple makes a difference

Any ideas ?

vortex_mak said:
However, the only thing that has started bugging me is that Samsung didnt give a headset with music controls like what Nokia gives with its N97 (music control and stereo jack for plugging in own earphones). I went to a shop today and tried the N97 ones, the jack works but the music controls dont. It would also have been good if the included headset could skip to the next track on a long press but stupidly it doesnt.

Its things like these where apple makes a difference

Any ideas ?

not a day passes by without me cursing samsung for this. damn u r right. spending 28K for a mobile and not able to enjoy music as u wanted.

btw, if u use meridian player, a double click on the headset button will skip to the next track and a single click will toggle play/pause.

but, the real problem is when u r hearing FM radio. there is absolutely no way one can skip channels without using the touch screen. damn. pathetic. even a cheap nokia mobile would let u skip FM channels with the headset buttons. any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks, Ill check out Meridian . I installed all the good music players I could find and the widgets as well.

There is a Widget called Click Click Next and Droid Shuffle for the same on the stock headset. Now the problem is how do I use my own earphones.

The N95 headset and mic works and you can use own earphones but no other buttons work.

It would have been fine if there was even a single 3rd party headset that was working but as of now I cant find any.

I have created a petition for the same for what its worth. It would be good if you guys can sign it. At least I can show them something when I mail them.

Samsung Galaxy S Music Headset Petition

btw, any ideas about a silicon case. The original samsung one Galaxy S i897 Silicone Gel Case (Blue & Black) | Samsung Mobile looks amazing. Pity, its 30$ and not available here :(

Dhanan said:
You will have to buy soon. Seems there is a rumour that Sammy has no more superamoleds for galaxy and Wave and production has stopped resulting in severe shortages all over the world.

And guess what the rumour also says it is Apple which has bought out all the SuperAmoled stock from Sammy. :)
The first part of the rumor many be true. AMOLED display were already in short supply. So an S-AMOLED storage is also a possibility considering the massive sales that Galaxy S and Wave. As for the second part of the rumor that apple is buying S-AMOLED's, its a blatant falsehood even for a rumor.

1. Steve Jobs has already openly defiled AMOLED tech in the iPhone 4 introduction. While Apple relies on Samsung for most of the core components in iPhones and iPods, they have always relied on LG for their iPhone IPS displays.

2. Currently the only S-AMOLED's in existence are the 4" ones in Galaxy S and the 3.3" ones in Wave. Both have a resolution of 800 x 480 (The pen tile arrangement makes the actual resolution a bit lower). There is no product in Apples portfolio that uses a display with a similar spec.

gursud said:
3)Can this phone supports android 3.0 (Not officially though)?

There is actually no concrete information on what Android 3 would be adding, what kind of devices it would be targeting and what kind of specs it requires. We do not have enough even to make a casual remark on this. From the looks of it, even the hardware developers don't have much info at this point. So maybe people who are trying to answer this question in yes/no/maybe should stop trying to answer it. For all you know, Android 3 may be a tablet only OS or require a 720p or 960p display and 1GB RAM and who knows maybe installation of multiple cybernetic implants so Google can spy on your private life better and project ads directly to your brain.

To be frank, as a buyer you should not even be worried about the compatibility of an OS on which no one other than Google has information at this point. You have Android 2.1 and 2.2 and that's more than enough. If I want to use Android 3, I would buy a device that's released after Android 3 comes out and is sure to work with it flawlessly.

After searching for SGS in Bangalore, i finally decided to buy through flipkart. I order 6 minutes back:p. Guys any one got their mobile insured through oriental? Any pointers to where can i get the cases in india as paypal for international transactions seems to be not working.

Dhanan said:
You will have to buy soon. Seems there is a rumour that Sammy has no more superamoleds for galaxy and Wave and production has stopped resulting in severe shortages all over the world.
And guess what the rumour also says it is Apple which has bought out all the SuperAmoled stock from Sammy. :)
Part of the Rumor might have very well been true, Samsung has used something called 'Super Clear LCD' instead of 'Super AMOLED' in their Wave II phone

However Apple buying all stocks of Super AMOLED doesn't even seem a distant possibility as all the current 'Super AMOLED' with Samsung support only 800X480 Resolution and Apple now already is at 960x640 which is exactly 4 times the 480x320 and so their apps and all stuffs would run without having aspect ratio issues.

Samsung rolls out JI6 update to fix Vibrant GPS issues

It's a tad later than initially promised, but it looks like Vibrant users frustrated by those serious GPS issues will soon have a fix -- Samsung has just announced that it's begun rolling out the JI6 over-the-air update to remedy the problem and finally bring it in line with the Captivate. No word on what else the update might include and, as with all OTA updates, there's also no guarantee as to exactly when you'll get it, with Samsung only saying that it will be distributed randomly over the next "several weeks."

source : Engadget

One small question for SGS owners can you disconnect a call using headset.I guess Samsung uses same headset with all its phones.I have a Spica but cannot disconnect call using headset ,it just mutes the call when i press the button :cursing:

Hello Parv,

I got the phone from flipkart. Their service is awesome. I placed the order 6th morning 2 AM(Yeah mid night). I Called them and said i will collect the box from their office. By evening 5 PM the phone is in my hands. I am sure the price is also less when compared to any other places.

Please let me know if you need further info regarding this.

So this phone has been launched since more than 3 months now! How come there are almost no accessories for this phone on eBay ?

gursud said:
Hello Parv,

I got the phone from flipkart. Their service is awesome. I placed the order 6th morning 2 AM(Yeah mid night). I Called them and said i will collect the box from their office. By evening 5 PM the phone is in my hands. I am sure the price is also less when compared to any other places.

Please let me know if you need further info regarding this.

where is there office? Can't we directly go there, pay and pickup?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Just checked flipkart, price 28k on higher side, and anyway it's out of stock there :(

ahd said:
The 'Auto' thing ends up making the images a little smooth, when i compared it with other mobile phones camera pictures (Took pictures from both the cellphones and compared :) ) So i manually tweaked the settings and found the images to be better; and on par with the other mobile phone.
I dont know why it doesn't save the settings, might get fixed in the froyo update.

There's another thing that I found on SGS and similar to this, in the default music player app, I use Custom (Equalizer) + Bass Enhancement (Effect) Combo, now everytime I close the music player app the custom options stays up but the 'Bass Enhancement' effect resets back to 'Normal' effect.

Does anyone else have an issue with the proximity sensor?

Often, while I am speaking on the phone, the touchscreen gets activated and the mute button in the call menu gets activated :mad:

sathyanaidu said:
I've got a question for all SGS users with prepaid connections. When u enter the USSD Code for currency check like *123# (airtel), *100# (vodafone) etc does it show USSD Code running and just return to the home screen? I updated the firmware to DDJG4. It was alright for a day and then it went back to the same problem.
I am having same problem with my Galaxy 3, Ne workaround?

Back