The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Woohoo! Got a SGS yesterday for 27.5k. And froyo is out today :hap2: Am so glad samsung gave us froyo before the world moves to gingerbread :p

How are you updating to froyo? my kies shows that this firmware can't be updated :(

kies.png

No, that's what I thought, updating right now, let's see.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OK, updating now :)

Updated :)

:mad:

Still no love for the Galaxy S stateside.

Was running a Voodoo kernel till yesterday and phone was still laggy. Switched over to the SuperCleanROM by jt1134 and things are finally running smooth :)

Still on 2.1 though :(

RedBull said:
My Kies is not detecting my SGS at all....any other way i can update the FW?
Hope, you enabled kies connection in your phone.

Stop or Uninstall apps like launcher pro (which keeps running and kies will not get connected if the apps are running).

RedBull said:
Thanx mate....i uninstalled Launcher Pro but still asking to close running applications.
Check for any other application/s running in back round, stop/uninstall it and try (if you have installed task killer app, it might also prevent from connecting)

Thanx mate, rebooted the phone, reinstalled Kies and now its fine....Kies is downloading the firmware as am typing this.Ur help is much appreciated.

Finally done and running Froyo......feels snappier from the word go,nice work by the Samsung guys so far.

Only gripe (and its a major one lol ) is that Market is inaccessible after the upgrade.It tries to open the TOS page and gives a popup " An error has occurred,Please try again later".Anybody else having the same problem? EDGE is alright as i can browse just fine using browser.

I had quite a scare updating the SGS to Froyo last night. I had rooted and installed the OCLF previously, but for some reason, it was not giving me the option to uninstall the lag fix through the app. So, I though, what the hell and de-rooted the app. Hooked the phone up to Kies, it detected that the update was available and in around 20 minutes, downloaded the app to the phone. That's when the problem started, as the phone rebooted, it would display the animated S and then the screen would go completely blank. The phone would vibrate every minute of so, but there was no indication that anything was happening.

I booted it into recovery mode, did a restore to factory defaults and crossed my fingers, thankfully it worked and booted right into froyo. My initial impressions

- Stock browser in eclair was bad enough that I had started using Dolphin as my primary browser. But the browser in Froyo is a lot faster and smoother and I haven't bothered to download Dolphin. Overall, things do appear faster across the board.

^ ha same thing here, forgot to disable lagfix before the upgrade and ended up with blackscreen.

Hey guys! I just purchased galaxy s yesterday. installed kies and then upgraded firmware. the phone is awesome. still getting used to the andriod B-)

I got it for 28850 in hyd along with 1 yr insurance against theft, water and drop damage from sangeetha mobiles.

maybe I should post this in the showoff thread :D

Back