The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Hey, was trying to update Froyo with Kies but got an error and had to reboot the phone in recovery mode to get it working again.

Now when I try firmware upgrade, Kies shows that no update is available.

Any ideas on how to go about upgrading?

Update sucked :mad:

Phone is even slower than what it was on Eclair 2.1.. That's bad.. :no: Installing I9000xxJPO or any good custom ROM now..

Guys, you need to do a factory restore before Froyo will give decent performance.

i did and its faster than before, I was using non lag-fixed 2.1 earlier.

For those who like me are feeling that Froyo has slowed down their phones (often to the point of being unusable) just Factory/Hard reset (I recommend Hard reset) the phone once after the update and feel the phone burst with speed. Even the lag much was making the device unusable after the update is barely noticeable now. Also the amount of RAM available after a fresh boot has jumped from 110~115MB to 185MB.

What LN said above, i did factory reset and its damn fast now....no lag fix either.

btw, how to hard reset?? also, what all would i lose in the process?

How to Hard Reset -

1. Turn off the i9000 phone or take out the battery and reinsert it.

2. Hold the Volume Down button

3. Press and release the Power button

4. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button

5. Press and release the Power button

6. Press Volume Up to confirm i9000 master reset

I've never tried out this.. Will surely try this out..

Update -

Tried the Hard Reset + Wiped the cache partition.. I hope everything will be fine now.

One thing I noticed.. Wipe Data + Factory Reset didn't erased my Internal SD card data..

i bought the galaxy s yesterday. i liked the phone. but i am unable to upgrade my phone to 2.2 froyo . i am upgrading using kies but getting no response from server since today morning. plz help and i am using the latest kies ver

Hello.

I tried to install Voodoo stable 5.0 but it failed.. I downloaded the .zip files and renamed it to update.zip... I switched my mobile in recovery mode (recovery 2e) and selected apply sdcard:update.zip. After sometime, it said Installation aborted.. Don't know what's wrong with it :S

^ The update.zip only works with clockwork mod afaik. Please read the documentation before trying updates. Use odin and do it

I've installed the SpeedMod Froyo kernel.. The phone is out-performing now :D RAM capacity is increased to 342MB.. Still have to do the Lagfix and tweaks.. but even without them, the phone is superfast :)

^ Recovery Mode 3e will update the files signed by Samsung itself.. You can revert it back to Recovery mode (2e)

Here's how -

Download recovery2e

Perform following steps using Root explorer -

- unzip and put archive contents in a folder called recovery2e on /sdcard/

- first mount -o remount,rw /system (important options in Root Explorer for do this)

- file recovery copy to /system/bin (and replace)

- copy xbn folder contents to /system/xbin/ (and replace)

:)

^ Yes, I got my Galaxy S for some 26.7k.. Don't buy if it's over 27k.. You won't regret buying this device for 27k.. It is totally VFM :D

Back