The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

ViKiD said:
From here :

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Samsung Galaxy Spica GT-i5700 Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

I received it yesterday .... its seriously awesome totally worth the price!!

One time investment .... and i dont think anyone will regret it...

Also the price on the website states 24$ for the full body .... but i got charged 19.9$ including shipping (5 $'s) after using a 20% off coupon....(should have been 25$ shipped)

Let me know guys if anyone is interested in Discount Coupons..

@metalspree i flashed the jb4 bootloader and my imei no was corrupted to 0000000000

the service centre guys were confused as i had flashed it back to 1.5 version before returning it

Am very happy with my new oficial 2.1 eclair

It means all new i5700 sets will hav 2.1 from factory

Damn i will try getting the update from Samsung service centre in Hyd.What do i tell them for the update and do they require proof of purchase.How much time does it take for them to update??

I am leaving India on 9th .I have just one day time in Hyderabad.I will give a try.Any Hyderabad members here to help me out with the update.

I know u got a new phone, but Samsung is doing update to old phones as well.This is a confirmed news from Pune and Mumbai users in a different forum

I confirmed from Samsung Cust care on toll free. Went to one of the centres in Delhi, the guy said they didn't have the upgrade "software" and asked me to come back tomorrow. Will be going day after with the bill and after backing up contatcs & messages etc. :)

Customer doesn't have a clue about it nor the service center guys.I read in a different forum that you need to go to the service center and complain the blue tooth is not working please fix it.They will upgrade the software and give.All they know is software upgrade do not talk about android ,cupcake and eclair.They have no clue about it:-[

I dint have that problem. I called local Samsung Service Centre.. told them I wanna update F/W.. said leke aao... 1 din mein hoga..

djmykey said:
I dint have that problem. I called local Samsung Service Centre.. told them I wanna update F/W.. said leke aao... 1 din mein hoga..

Lucky You mate when i called the samsung call centre the dumb a$$ sitting on the other end did not even know what was android :mad:

Metalspree said:
Lucky You mate when i called the samsung call centre the dumb a$$ sitting on the other end did not even know what was android :mad:

Small correction mate.. I called the local service center. When I called the Samsung Call center all I got was a ticket no and no call back :mad: Beat that :p Call up the service center in your locality, they might give you the same response.

I have a ticket no which was raised through email as i had tough time getting to their call center.I don't even know what are they up to let me call them tomorrow ans $crew their happiness

Well, when I called the CC, and asked about the 2.1 upgrade, the agent said, yes sir, its a good news for you :D, Android 2.1 is out for your phone. You have to take it to Service Centre as the upgrade is being deployed out of the SCs currently. The Service Centre guy was a lil confused when I told him I want to upgrade the Android version on my phone. He went inside and came back saying their Centre hadn't received the SOFTWARE and it was being downloaded. Finally asked me to come back in a day with proof of purchase and 1-2 hours for the procedure. Am going tomorrow to get it done. Have taken backup of messages & contacts on the SD already.

Metalspree said:
Damn i will try getting the update from Samsung service centre in Hyd.What do i tell them for the update and do they require proof of purchase.How much time does it take for them to update??

I am leaving India on 9th .I have just one day time in Hyderabad.I will give a try.Any Hyderabad members here to help me out with the update.

Metalspree,

I'm from Hyd and I got my Spica updated yesterday at the Kukatpally Service Center (near BJP Office). I've been pressing the Customer Care for many days regarding the same and yesterday the person who could do the update was available at the Service Center and I got a call from him to come. I was told the update will take around 1 hr but it actually took 3 hrs as there were issues with drivers on their machine. The guy who did the update for me is a Technical Trainer and he told me he's completed about 6-7 updates for folks all over AP.

I don't know where in Hyd you are located but I'd think your best bet would be to call up Samsung's Service Center in Basheerbagh (040-43444051) to check if someone is available to do the update for you.

My experience with Eclair thus far has been good. Haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet but have seen no crashes or excessive slowing down. The UI looks better and there are minor improvements everywhere along with the already well known major features. As expected, no Live Wallpapers. One small irritant is that widgets don't horizontally align with the shortcuts anymore which comes in the way of optimally using the available home screen space.

Here are the Technical Details:
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband Version: i570EDDJC5
Build number: ECLAIR.DDJC5

Guys, how to view SIM contacts or in other words, switch display between SIM and phone contacts

another issue is, for each contact name, i see two entries for the same number, for some contacts, three entries :S

and, How to export phone contacts to SIM for backup purpose

I am on 1.5 and no access to market, atm

Can someone tell me how to use GPRS on Spica? I'm on Vodafone. I've sent the VL message to 56586 so many times and I get the reply that the settings have been sent to me. But beyond that, I cannot seem to access the net via browser or market.

Can someone guide me on this please?

Hi reds4ever thanks for the info .

Spectre said:
Guys, how to view SIM contacts or in other words, switch display between SIM and phone contacts

another issue is, for each contact name, i see two entries for the same number, for some contacts, three entries :S

Go to contacts and click the menu button u can see import contacts ( this way u can copy the contacts from sims card to phone).

Without an app i guess you cannot take back up of contacts on simcard.In case you have access to market download app called contacts2sim

Thanks MS, any idea why i get 2 entries for same number for each contact
is there any show phone/sim contacts option. I dont want to erase anything by mistake
Sei said:
Can someone tell me how to use GPRS on Spica? I'm on Vodafone. I've sent the VL message to 56586 so many times and I get the reply that the settings have been sent to me. But beyond that, I cannot seem to access the net via browser or market.

same question
I get the GPRS settings as SMS, it asks to SAVE it
but when i click the message, there is no such option on phone, it takes me to compose message
any help

Sei said:

Spectre said:
same question
I get the GPRS settings as SMS, it asks to SAVE it
but when i click the message, there is no such option on phone, it takes me to compose message
any help

You need to subscribe to Vodafone mobile connect (VMC)(which is so astronomically priced) to access internet on your phone see here for more details.

After subscribing:
you automatically see the access points when you insert vodafone sim. Select the APN that has 'www' .

Spectre said:

This is happening because you have the option to sync "ALL" your google contacts turned on !! go to the sync settings in the phonebook and only check the contacts you wish to sync. Then go to google.com/contacts on the web and click on "find duplicates" and merge them into single contacts. hope this helps.

Back