The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

You need to partition your memory card for APPs2SD to work.

Apps2SD can move your apps to ext partition on the SD card, not on FAT partitions (only Froyo can move apps to FAT ).

You will need to partition you SD card to Swap(not must) + ext2 + FAT.

Then upgrade ext2 to ext3 and you are good to go.

If i create a partition will i lose all my SD card data. If i lose it can i use any software like titanium backup to restore it later.

I have a 2gb memory card. How much should i reserve for the partition

Why you need titanium backup to backup data on your memory card.

And in any case, Titanium backup DOES NOT backup files which are on memory cards. So all your photos, songs etc does not get backed up when you do titanium backup.

Just copy all those onto your PC, partition your SD card (yes, it will erase it completely when you partition it ) and then copy back your files to FAT partition.

Its simple copy paste job.

Titanium backup is basically there to avoid reinstalling of all the apps when you do a firmware update or do a factory reset.

^^ arre im not doubting the release...i surely saw the video and thus oticed the baseband version.

what im trying to say is it looks like a modified eclairs to froyo in transition rather than a froyo being optimized for spica...just a suspicion.

madnav said:
^^ arre im not doubting the release...i surely saw the video and thus oticed the baseband version.

what im trying to say is it looks like a modified eclairs to froyo in transition rather than a froyo being optimized for spica...just a suspicion.
Anyway, geeks don't care much about these things (e.g. version number written in some file only for documentation). For a marketing guy, first thing he will notice that version number should be changed to the one he is marketing. A geek would look at the features he has promised in the new release and make sure they are present.

Hey folks , I purchased Spica few days ago ... man it was toughest "hunt" for the gadget in my life so far :p

Its running Android 2.1 Update 1 out of the box ...

Problem is with battery backup , it was about 50% last night around 1AM and when I woke up @ 10 in morning phone was dead ! Had to attach power cable to turn it on !!

Could this problem arise because of the applications running ??

here is the list of varioud apps installed on phone :

#Advanced Task Killer

#Appbrain App Market

#appinstaller

#aRing

#Armored Strike Lite

#Assasin's Creed

#Astro

#Barcode Scanner

#Battry Widget

#Beautiful Widgets

#Bluetooth File Transfer

#Dictionary.com

#GalaxIR

#Gallery3D

#Gem Miner

#DailerOne

#LauncherPro

#Linpack for Android

#Market

#Opera mini5 beta

#Papijump

#Prince of Persia Zero

#Raging Thunder

#Retro Clock

#Ringdroid

#Robo Defense

#Sky Force

#Snakedroid

#SpeedView

#Swype

(listing all installed apps under Manage apps option in phone)

Out of these , I installed Swype , Linpack and Appbrain App Market apps yesterday ... before it phone was able to last for a day and half ...

Phone is not rooted !!

plz help

you can check the phone under 'about' in settings... it tells you what have been eating your battery. :p

also for best results.. do not use 0-100 (complete discharge-charge) method.

charge the battery often and do not let it discharge completely.. the Li-IOn batteries last longer this way.

also make sure to turn off gprs/edge and other connectivity options when you do not need it.

for turning off edge/gprs, you do not require special app.. just create an apn with a bogus/incorrect apn info and select that when you want to turn off edge :p

try to charge the battery before it drops below 20%, this ay the Li-ION batteries wear out slower than charging after complete discharge methods.

madnav said:
you can check the phone under 'about' in settings... it tells you what have been eating your battery. :p

also for best results.. do not use 0-100 (complete discharge-charge) method.

charge the battery often and do not let it discharge completely.. the Li-IOn batteries last longer this way.

also make sure to turn off gprs/edge and other connectivity options when you do not need it.

for turning off edge/gprs, you do not require special app.. just create an apn with a bogus/incorrect apn info and select that when you want to turn off edge :p

try to charge the battery before it drops below 20%, this ay the Li-ION batteries wear out slower than charging after complete discharge methods.

Under Battery Use Details , it shows 95% Battery used by applications when running , under Android system tag ...

tried creating "off" apn , but airtel charged me 0.15 Rs for that :mad: WTH ???

I have idea about Li-ION batteries , total drain just happened unexpectedly , thats why trying to figure out what caused this to avoid it next time ...

thanks man ...

abhifusion said:
Under Battery Use Details , it shows 95% Battery used by applications when running , under Android system tag ...

tried creating "off" apn , but airtel charged me 0.15 Rs for that :mad: WTH ???

I have idea about Li-ION batteries , total drain just happened unexpectedly , thats why trying to figure out what caused this to avoid it next time ...

thanks man ...
airtel may have charged for something else.

keep name = anything you what but the 'apn' field where you enter the access point of your service provider... input some bogus value...this way the fone will never be hooked to the edge/gprs of the provider.

i have noticed the complete drain sometimes while gprs/edge was ON... make sure you have turned off the 'auto sync' option and 'sync in background' option.

Hi,

I've been using the Spica for a couple of months now. Am on the official 2.1 update and lately have been witnessing some performance issues/slowdowns.

I've read that modding the phone could help me improve the performance. I also remember that Vikid was about to post a guide on the same. I did go through various pages on the thread but couldn't find the link for the guide if it has already been posted. If it hasn't, would request Vikid or someone else to post a guide. I've never flashed this or any other phone before and step by step instructions will really be extremely helpful.

Thanks. :)

madnav said:
airtel may have charged for something else.

keep name = anything you what but the 'apn' field where you enter the access point of your service provider... input some bogus value...this way the fone will never be hooked to the edge/gprs of the provider.

i have noticed the complete drain sometimes while gprs/edge was ON... make sure you have turned off the 'auto sync' option and 'sync in background' option.

Well to make its easier (it was already easy :p ) installed APNdroid app ... it shuts down 3g/gprs/edge all at one go ... when clicked to turn off edge , airtel again charged me 0.250 Rs as "last call charge" ... :mad: ...

turned off auto sync as well as sync in background .. lesse how it goes !

I am wondering if appkiller is really necessary ?? And is there any widget or app to directly turn off background data sync ?? coz if its off then i dont need to block or change APN settings i guess and apps wont be able to connect to internet ... plz correct me if m wrong ...

there is already a Power Control widget..

there is an option to turn sync on/off along with settings for bluetooth, wifi, gps etc.

I would suggest that u uninstall all 3rd party apps & use the phone for a day or two.

See how well the battery performs. If performance is as bad as with the apps, u probably have a faulty battery & need to rush to the Samsung ASC.

Also, I do hope that u have completed atleast a few (3-5) Charge-Discharge cycles on the new phone...... That goes a long way in improving battery performance & life.

Back