The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

Metalspree said:
Use Advanced task killer and kill the apps ,use startup cleaner and uncheck all the apps you dont want to load
well read some articles about task killer online , seems its not recommended , infact battery life improved after I uninstalled the task killer app ...

nehaladsul said:
I would suggest that u uninstall all 3rd party apps & use the phone for a day or two.

See how well the battery performs. If performance is as bad as with the apps, u probably have a faulty battery & need to rush to the Samsung ASC.

Also, I do hope that u have completed atleast a few (3-5) Charge-Discharge cycles on the new phone...... That goes a long way in improving battery performance & life.

at the time i wrote about the problem , phone was on its second charge ... :ashamed:

and whenever phone shows its 100% charged and I remove the plug , it drops to 90% within a minute !!!! after that thr is not much significant drop ...

PS : Charged it to 100% today morning , still going strong @ 50% after 2-2.5 hours of continuous usage ...

abhifusion said:
well read some articles about task killer online , seems its not recommended , infact battery life improved after I uninstalled the task killer app ...

$crew the articles mate ,seriously where do u come across all these stupid articles.A lot of member are using the same and battery life does increase .

Metalspree said:
$crew the articles mate ,seriously where do u come across all these stupid articles.A lot of member are using the same and battery life does increase .
I agree with Metalspree... $crew those articles. Your phone will give you a uptime depending on your installed and running apps. You need to decide which apps you need and live with the batt time you get.

I like my phone minimal and I get a decent 2 day uptime from my phone until the next recharge.

I am getting 2 days as well ,provided no wifi and gps any phone matter of fact pulls battery for these a lot

Btw is any using bluetooth headset with this phone ,I am planning to pick the plantronics .I want to know are you folks able to pick and disconnect calls ??

some of the application show up under running apps sometime after killing through the App killer.

trying to figure out why that could be.

also my phone is taking ages to boot. compared with metalspree.. his fone is taking 20-21 nexus1 animations.. my fone is taking 40-42 nexus1 animations :(

both fones are with updated samdroid mod. CHeck the cell performance with Linpack and i get score between 8-8.7MFlops.

the Startup Cleaner 2.0 is a joke, it KILLS applications after having booted to home screen.. which has no impact on boot time so far.

is there any way to selects apps from not starting at boot?

Guys,

I am planning to buy this phone. If you could just inform me if there are any deal breaking issues with this phone so I wouldnt have to go though 50 pages of this thread.

Any other suggestions for an android phone ~20k ? lower price is better

Is there any chance for spica to be updated to froyo ?
I know guys at samdroid are working on custom froyo upgrade.. do these types of upgrades work?

madnav said:
some of the application show up under running apps sometime after killing through the App killer.

trying to figure out why that could be.

also my phone is taking ages to boot. compared with metalspree.. his fone is taking 20-21 nexus1 animations.. my fone is taking 40-42 nexus1 animations :(

both are fones are with updates samdroid mod. CHeck the cell performance with Linpack and i get score between 8-8.7MFlops.

the Startup Cleaner 2.0 is a joke, it KILLS applications after having booted to home screen.. which has no impact on boot time so far.

is there any way to selects apps from not starting at boot?
Best thing you could do is revert back to previous mod.

dantool said:
seriously... a G1 when he can afford better ?

go for spica if you are not hell bent on getting froyo 2.2

most likely you may not be able to acquire spica in market.. in that case spica 3 i5800/i5801 will be your option which would get froyo for sure.

Hi madnav i do not like the new menu of dial pad i mean when i place a call i cant see the no which is dialed the android icon fills up the screen the no is shown under the buttons on dial pad,hols,speaker and the hold button is on top of the screen when i keep the phone near my ear i accidentally turn on hold how do i revert back to old dial screen where everything was simple.I guess this is happening because of the contact application update.

I am talking about the new kitchen mod .

^^ really not getting what you mean.

my dialpad is as it was with old samdroid.

and the hold etc appear only if i press the options key (left side softkey)

m i using the same mod? :huh:

dont know myself as you walked me through the whole process both of the times :p

Thanks madnav, you are right, a G1 is too old and costly.

I will try to get a Spica, it most probably wont have FroYo but I can live with that. I suspect that Samsung made a mistake in pricing this phone, they priced it too low for such a featured phone or does it somehow have a disadvantage which explains its low price.?

I now suspect that they will try to relegate Android to the highend and push Bada OS (you can see the wave which is a very powerful phone but priced quite low @ 17k).

From what I can gather from the specs Spica 3 is a downgrade from i5700, and most of the low cost android devices in the market are mini type versions (HTC Tatoo, Xperia X10 mini) with scaled down resolutions which have problems with running apps.

Metalspree said:
djmykey said:
I agree with Metalspree... $crew those articles. Your phone will give you a uptime depending on your installed and running apps. You need to decide which apps you need and live with the batt time you get.

I like my phone minimal and I get a decent 2 day uptime from my phone until the next recharge.

Bro's , following articles beg to differ , please go through them ...

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

Myth: Android devices need task killers | Smartphones - InfoWorld

Task Killers! Must read for new Android Users - Android Forums
Also , does battery icon phone shows the charging symbol even if it gets 100% charged ?? I seriously not getting any reason why it drops to 90% within 2 mins from 100% mark ...

I used it for 3 hours continuously(web surfing) ,3-5 mins of GPS usage , and its down to 50% now ... is it ok ??

vortex_mak said:
Thanks madnav, you are right, a G1 is too old and costly.

I will try to get a Spica, it most probably wont have FroYo but I can live with that. I suspect that Samsung made a mistake in pricing this phone, they priced it too low for such a featured phone or does it somehow have a disadvantage which explains its low price.?

I now suspect that they will try to relegate Android to the highend and push Bada OS (you can see the wave which is a very powerful phone but priced quite low @ 17k).

From what I can gather from the specs Spica 3 is a downgrade from i5700, and most of the low cost android devices in the market are mini type versions (HTC Tatoo, Xperia X10 mini) with scaled down resolutions which have problems with running apps.
not quiet true about the bada OS and pushing though.

they are releasing android in cheap corby series too.. i5500.. it surely will be slower than expected.

i had my hand on bada OS on wave.. i did not like the TouchWiz UI ...the fone was awesome though..wish there was an option to opt for android on most phones...

abhifusion said:
Bro's , following articles beg to differ , please go through them ...

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

Myth: Android devices need task killers | Smartphones - InfoWorld

Task Killers! Must read for new Android Users - Android Forums

Also , does battery icon phone shows the charging symbol even if it gets 100% charged ?? I seriously not getting any reason why it drops to 90% within 2 mins from 100% mark ...

I used it for 3 hours continuously(web surfing) ,3-5 mins of GPS usage , and its down to 50% now ... is it ok ??
the battery icon does not show charging once battery is full.

..assuming about the 90% thing... it may just indicate that it is not 100% :)

it is just an indicator which is not precise on the percentage.. these things show in steps.

as for the 50% after 3hours continuous usage.

web surfing (gprs/edge/3g/wifi) is considered as talk time.

i suppose the phone has come down to half battery after 3hours of talk-time.. seems fair to me... what is the maximum talk time of the fone anyways?

Finally about the task killer..

i did not go through all those articles..

but common sense tells that the issue might be regarding task killer running in the back ground.

i generally kill the task killer app too ..have not realized any battery related hits as of yet on the talktime.

if most people let task killer run in the background then that might be an issue with overall talk time.

Will anyways uninstall it and see if it is making things any better.

madnav said:
the battery icon does not show charging once battery is full.

..assuming about the 90% thing... it may just indicate that it is not 100% :)

it is just an indicator which is not precise on the percentage.. these things show in steps.

as for the 50% after 3hours continuous usage.

web surfing (gprs/edge/3g/wifi) is considered as talk time.

i suppose the phone has come down to half battery after 3hours of talk-time.. seems fair to me... what is the maximum talk time of the fone anyways?

Finally about the task killer..

i did not go through all those articles..

but common sense tells that the issue might be regarding task killer running in the back ground.

i generally kill the task killer app too ..have not realized any battery related hits as of yet on the talktime.

if most people let task killer run in the background then that might be an issue with overall talk time.

Will anyways uninstall it and see if it is making things any better.
will wait for the charging symbol to disappear nxt tym !! thanks !!

GSMArena quotes 11hr 30 mins talktime on 2G ...

Sure , plz lemme know if uninstalling task killer helps .... :)

abhifusion said:
will wait for the charging symbol to disappear nxt tym !! thanks !!

GSMArena quotes 11hr 30 mins talktime on 2G ...

Sure , plz lemme know if uninstalling task killer helps .... :)
i will need to read those links more.

have uninstalled ATK and Task Cleaner 2.0

the boot speed reduced to 27 nexus 1 animations from 40-42 :p

i still have 'Task Manager' app installed to kill apps as there are just too many startup apps :( and i cant uninstalled them as i need them.

will remove Task Manager and see if i miss it... i had just installed these killer as alogical step learnt in managing Win OS on desktop.. never knew the Other OSes could actually be designed to counter hat in the 1st place :p :ashamed:

as far the response goes.. im feeling a little improvement in UI responsiveness without ATK and Task Cleaner 2.0

no idea if batter life has improved.

also about your 50% battery in previous post.

the battery widget shows 50% or the battery icon in taskbar shows half the battery?

the widget/app may not be accurate i mean to say.

Battery widget shows 50% , whereas battery icon shows little more than 50% , maybe 60-70% :huh:

DSC03735.jpg

Back