The Stock Market Thread

if you were short, you would have made money :D

Someone ( i forget who) here did ask me what I thought of the market when it was 5350 ... :D

Prediction is not too difficult these days , is it? One just has to look at the Dow and the NASDAQ.....BSE & NSE usually follow.

Is there anyone here who is bearish enough to believe the ~ 12K bottom forecasts ????

@Funky :

for a beginner i would whole heartedly suggest Sharekhan.

they are good, reliable customer service, nice website.
trading and browsing websites different.

managable and bargainable brokerage rates (you can get anything from 25 paise to 50 paise)

they have online tieup with many banks including HDFC which makes money transfer through netbanking a breeze and you can do immediate trading.

lastly, till now my 3 years experience with them they have not enticed customers with tips. they provide strong research based suggestion and try to refrain customers from taking risky business.

BTW i was in the same situation 3 years back like you and this comes from first hand experience.

I have tried after that Kotak Securities, Reliance Money, Motilal Oswal and barring Kotak experience was horrible. Kotak were simply overcharging.

I use Kotak, and am pretty happy with them. Even during major crashes when the site went down, you could call the kotak office and do your trades by phone.

SO who is buying what in these markets?? Offcourse those who are stuck like me are trying to average their holdings.

BSE on 12000 is on everyone's mind if the sentiment is bad then 12000 is really not so far away.

and on the topic of brokerage recommendations, Kotak is my third (Technically second) broker after HDFC.. (previously was using indiabulls for dad's account, it was nice though but parents wanted to shift to kotak since they gave em a 'family' offer lol)... anyways... kotak is better than HDFC for it gives exposure and that helps a lot in these markets (offcourse you should know what ya doing). plus for me brokerage is lower than HDFC.

Hehe, dont buy into the current market even to average out.

The bubble that had pegged the Indian cos valuations at insane levels is bursting. The earnings of the cos will also dissapoint this qtr, and with US reeling heavily now that one of its top investment bank (Bear Sterns) has liquidated, is going to hit us bad. Unless the macro factor changes dramatically there will be shortage of money flowing in for investments.

Best hedge, buy gold if you have excess liquidity lying around. Buy gold linked securities preferably Mutual funds...

Aces170 said:
Hehe, dont buy into the current market even to average out.

The bubble that had pegged the Indian cos valuations at insane levels is bursting. The earnings of the cos will also dissapoint this qtr, and with US reeling heavily now that one of its top investment bank (Bear Sterns) has liquidated, is going to hit us bad. Unless the macro factor changes dramatically there will be shortage of money flowing in for investments.

Best hedge, buy gold if you have excess liquidity lying around. Buy gold linked securities preferably Mutual funds...

what about buying stuff for a prospective of about 6-8 moths ? or there aint going to be good returns even for that term ? .........a close pal who was in a profit of excess of 100k in short term is now -100k at the current levels , should he average out or wait.....he aint that concerned cause he can play long and the investment was out of his liquidated money.....

man i also invested again to average out, but everything is red again, and i am again in for a big loss it seems. I thought market cannot dip any further but i was big time wrong. My informer also told me that this is not the period to invest but i didnt listen to him. :(

thebanik said:
man i also invested again to average out, but everything is red again, and i am again in for a big loss it seems. I thought market cannot dip any further but i was big time wrong. My informer also told me that this is not the period to invest but i didnt listen to him. :(

:S the best thing u can do is when the stock reaches anywhere close to the levels u got it at or its averaged upto , get rid of it ......600+ down as of now....sheeesh :no: :no: :no: :no:

hanzy said:
what about buying stuff for a prospective of about 6-8 moths ? or there aint going to be good returns even for that term ? .........a close pal who was in a profit of excess of 100k in short term is now -100k at the current levels , should he average out or wait.....he aint that concerned cause he can play long and the investment was out of his liquidated money.....
Think it out logically, what could drive the market up in 6-8 mths. I dont see anything, elections are near so the govt will be least bothered about capital markets, so forget an interest rate cut. Cos earnings are going to be hit due to 2 things:
1. Slowing global economy
2. Rupee appreciation (especially IT cos who have their billings in USD)

Besides even there is going to be an outflow of FII's, mutual funds will sit on th cash and earn some interest on it. Markets which wil notice an afterburn effect will be the real estate market I think it should also fall from the crazy high it is right now...

Yup agree with aces...just read an article..their is nuthin to encourage in Indian market right now....Elections are ard and the govt has no interest in gdp growth and all other stuff rather than winning election ...Also nuthin encouraging in us market so more FII pull out.....right now its a buy market i guess....Lot of economist saying the necessary correction has taken place....Also prediction given is once election happens system stabilizes...take it 2 years sensex will again cross its higher limit in 2 years

^^ Hmm yeah 2 years a lil too pesimistic, need some more visibility but atleast for next 8-12 mths does not seem very encouraging. Hopefully it wont be freefalling like it is now, but recovering to previous levels is unlikely

one more bloodbath.

i think stocks and players of it must have forgotten waterbath now a days.

my complete portfolio turned red today. :p

still in buying phase only.

hoping to keep everything for 2/3 years.

got hold of Punj Lloyd and SBI at relly low prices. (I have shares of SBI allotted in IPOs , I was to apply for the rights issue but now the shares are available 200/- Rs. cheaper than Rights price :rofl:, good that i waited till the last few days of Issue)

Bhel, HDFC, HDFC Bank, L & T, ICICI Bank, Infosys, RIL, TATA Steel, J P Associates, Punj Lloyd are looking attractive at these levels as they are quoting now at the prices they were just before the extreem bull run.

Back