The Stock Market Thread

Darthcoder said:
^ Do you think if they'd be able to predict the market they' still be doing the job they are doing right now?? No one can predict the market and its only after the market that they say "We had predicted this and that".

Predicting/analysing and investing - Both require totally different mindsets - an analyst can rarely invest properly and you will be hard pressed to find an investor who can analyze and predict its direction.

Prediction works - its just possible you haven't met the right advisors yet or shall I say predictors.

medpal said:
Your concept for debt is wrong here.

Debt funds and even Hybrid balanced fund are taxed at the rate of your applicable incometax slab (that means 10-30 % plus applicable surcharges)

The advantage these enjoy over FD is that returns are bit higher and they are allowed benefit of Indexation. (calculation of inflation and cost index set off against gross returns)

So overall tax liability is much lower than FD so its better that way.

I don't think so.

Mutual funds: Taxation needs a re-look

Dividends on debt-oriented funds (open-ended and close-ended) are tax-free in the hands of the investor; however, the fund house pays a dividend distribution tax (@14.24 per cent).

i am not talking about dividends.

i was quoting capital gains.

as FDs never give dividends it cant be compared that way with funds.

regarding dividends you are right, dividends from MF (be it equity or Debt) and also from equity shares are tax free in hands of investor.

my wrong if i mis quoted.

medpal said:
i am not talking about dividends.

i was quoting capital gains.

as FDs never give dividends it cant be compared that way with funds.

regarding dividends you are right, dividends from MF (be it equity or Debt) and also from equity shares are tax free in hands of investor.

my wrong if i mis quoted.

I just asked my sis who's in a MF house, the Cgains are taxed less than the normal rate of income, can't remember what percentage.

TheBroker said:
I just asked my sis who's in a MF house, the Cgains are taxed less than the normal rate of income, can't remember what percentage.

Till now short term capital gains from equity markets and equity based MFs used to be taxed at 10 %.

from 1st april 2008 onwards chiddu has made it 15% :mad: :mad: :mad:

Long term capital gains tax from equities and equity oriented MFs is still 0.

But this does not apply to Debt, Reality, Bullion, Commodities there Capital gains tax is calculated according to your income slab after its adjusted against inflation (Indexation).

Hope i am correct here. If someone knows more then throw the light.

OK, Now what period of time is short term capital gains??

Like if I sell a holding within 3 months does it come under a short term capital gain?

Hmm the market crashed today, surprisingly strong stocks like Punj LLoyd, JP associates etc fell a lot.... :(

Punj Lloyd at these levels seems good

I bought Adlabs, GMR, ICICIBank and am now down 15% in all these scrips :(

I guess I'll have to wait for a few months for these scrips to bounce back :( :(

bought 100 shares of GMRINFRA for Rs.129 and 30 shares of PUNJLLOYD @ 281. Now am broke again :p Hope these are good buys :D

Might not be good if the market falls again. But for the long term, these are very good buys.

I have 120 GMR at 144 :( and 25 adlabs at 700 :( :(

Its another bloodbath again on the dalal street :p

got hold of
10 HDFC Bank at 1205/-
50 JP Associates at 200/-
50 Punj LLoyd at 275/-
10 SBI at 1350/-

hope to strike tomorrow again :p

I bought 50 shares of Reliance Power on 30th May, its not doing shabby I would say considering that I would be getting 30 more shares as well as bonus.

medpal said:
Its another bloodbath again on the dalal street :p

got hold of

10 HDFC Bank at 1205/-

50 JP Associates at 200/-

50 Punj LLoyd at 275/-

10 SBI at 1350/-

hope to strike tomorrow again :p

Was today a good day to buy?

I feel that the market might go down a wee bit more. An analyst on moneycontrol was saying that Sensex could fall to 14600 and that would be the best time to buy. I'd rather sell my soul than believe these guys... but still, they sound very practical when they speak about the bear market and how they have 100 years of data backing them up and so on and so forth.

Heck.. even Warren Buffet was saying that we can expect only single digit returns from equities in this decade.

Coming back from the rambling, I am looking at buying ICICI at around 740 ~ 770 levels, GMR at around 115 ~ 122, and maybe Punj Lloyd at 260 ~ 280.

All the banking stocks have been hammered down pretty bad. HDFC and ICICI are pretty good bets for the long term.

Entertainment stocks like ADLABS are also good as the multiplex scene expands to tier 2/3 cities too.

ADLABS at 591 seems to be a good buy for med / long term.

biosbhai i am in an accumulating phase since 21st Jan crash.

so a little smaller crash here and there does not affect much.

if you have long term horizon these things dont worry you, or does it?

GMR Infra is good stock. Punj Lloyd is within your range.

SBI / HDFC BANK / ICICI all are going at bargains now.
i have decided to accumulate small quantities at ever 25 rs. drop on SBI and HDFC BANK.

Markets will remain bearish till effects of oil prices stabilise every where in world and us of a doesnt seem to stabilising before the presidential elections.

So keep watching your favourites and catch them when you fill comfortable :D

Back