The wet shaving thread

kippu said:
there was new gillette nowadays .. 5 blade one ....i should try it sometime

sibot said:
Yeah, its the Gillette Fusion, get the Fusion Power, its battery operated and vibrates for a better shave. I've been using it for the past 2 years now, pretty awesome.

My question still remains unanswered, where can I get a DE Razor in Delhi/India?

I used the 5 blade version almost all of 2009. That is the one I got annoyed with before I moved to the DE. (I've used the powered and non-powered versions.) They were both equally unimpressive.

Try a DE razor and you'll not go back. (Except when you are traveling. Do not try to go through airport security with razor blades in your bag. :p)

Also, almost any supermarket / local general stores in India should carry DE razors. They are still quite commonly used by people.

blr_p said:
Feather's are Japanese and supposed to be very sharp and thin. I'm not sure sure how it works yet with thick or thin blades. The Brit wilki's are thicker than the Indian ones but they feel smoother so far.

350 shaves out of 100 blades is 3.5 per blade. I think you can double that to 6 as thats the rough statistical average but I think you'd have to do it every day and defnitely after a hot bath.

I tried five to six blades from different companies before I settled on feather. I think the blade that works best for any person depends on skin type. So it's best to try out different ones before settling on one.

I almost always shave after a hot shower. But after 3-4 shaves, I start craving for the sharpness of a new blade. :p

SharekhaN said:
Can someone tell me if I will get a badger hair shaving brush in Mumbai and if so, where?
Real Badger hair shaving brush would be hard to get and costlier in India best is get it from someone coming from UK. I got few from my sister while she was coming back from UK one of the finest quality Badger hair shaving brush by Taylors of Old Bond street.

whatsinaname said:
I tried five to six blades from different companies before I settled on feather. I think the blade that works best for any person depends on skin type. So it's best to try out different ones before settling on one.

I almost always shave after a hot shower. But after 3-4 shaves, I start craving for the sharpness of a new blade. :p
That sharpness seems to be one of those YMMV things about this game, I read of those that find it a bit too sharp on the first go and then it settles down and becomes smoother. About getting more shaves how about this ...

[youtube]Ogq4wfpT7hc[/youtube]

The idea is to do it after each shave, as you shave the blades gets microscopic jags, this reaches a point where it becomes uncomfortable. By stropping in the opposite direction to shaving you correct for this and possibly squeeze out a cpl more shaves. This is just using your palm, but there's ppl using polystyrene as well with good results. Course that would only work on single edge baldes. Stropping is not the same as sharpening at all.

Roxtin said:
Real Badger hair shaving brush would be hard to get and costlier in India best is get it from someone coming from UK. I got few from my sister while she was coming back from UK one of the finest quality Badger hair shaving brush by Taylors of Old Bond street.
Going by the vids they seem to get such a rich lather out that i'm wondering the only way to do that is with a badger hair brush. I've got an Omega bristle one but its quite long at 4 inches of bristle and I can't as yet get that same rich creamy texture you see in the vids. Adding little more water does help make more lather but its all bubbly and not very creamy at all.

The way it works with badger from what i've learnt is...

Pure badger < Fine badger < Finest badger

The pure (lowest grade badger) starts at around $30 and goes north into the three digits for hte better grades.

Anyway, i got tired of the one i was using and decided to try something different for a bit and picked up a Rs.50 nylon brush with half as long bristles to see what kind of difference it actually makes. This should actually be worse than the bristle but lets see.

HailStonE said:
Still sticking to Sensor Excel.. But that hot water tip really works.. been doing it since last few months & the cartridges work quite good. Also Gels I think are better than foam since you get better glide.
Better than just hot water is the hot towel. Works great if you do multiple passes with the razor and you don't even need to take a bath before. The hair is all soft & weak and just shaves off easily.

He says to keep it on for 3 minutes but I found the towel gets cold quite fast so had to wet it a cpl of times more. This only needs to be done once just before shaving.

[youtube]PwIP9K2VKXY[/youtube]
HailStonE said:
But here is a tip.. lather the gel & keep it on for atleast 3mins & you will have much closer & smoother shave. Also the blades will work many times over without loosing sharpness..
One of the intermediary steps with the above prep before applying the towel is to massage the lather in with the tips of the fingers, paying more attention to where the beard is harder. This mixes in the soap & the hair even better than just leaving it standing.

I've not seen any of barbers here do the hot towel thing and instead do the 'leave-it-on-for-3-mins' instead but its pretty standard abroad. The two things that help the most here are heat & hydration and the hot towel combines them both :)

I switched back to Mach 3 from Fusion after I ran out of Fusion cartridges... I find the Mach 3 giving me a more closer and comfortable shave. :|

I get myself lasered for 1k per month, 6 sessions left.

I dont have a thick painful beard to shave anymore, just stubble which grows which is much thinner and very easy to shave off.
I am happy with the results, because the hair is much finer now and if I want to keep some facial hair now, it dosnt scrape my skin off if I keep my chin on my arms.

By the end of 10 sessions, I should have much softer and lighter facial hair that will be a breeze to shave once every 2 months.

saw this video a week ago i think and tried with my general tools:

gilette presto (that 15bucks things :p )

godereg shaving cream

and normal synthetic brush.

used a ceramic bowl.

had to add some watter..

the lather formed is of much better quality than how it is formed by direct brush on beard.

shaved as epr prescribed in all four directions as mentioned..although could not follow half inch slightly overlapped per sec rule very well all the time. end result was very much pleasing for the 1st attempts..

although i ended up scratching my face in the last against the bread growth direction shave time..otherwise all good and enjoyable.

thinking of getting better cream, brush and maybe march3 razor..

any suggestions regarding the same?

dont want to spend alot in terms of cost per shave

corelement said:
I get myself lasered for 1k per month, 6 sessions left..
Yikes, this sounds sooo drastic :huh:

madnav said:
gilette presto (that 15bucks things )
These presto's are double bladed. You could get gillette DE platnium blacks for cheaper and they would be sharper and last longer.

madnav said:
and normal synthetic brush.
used a ceramic bowl.
had to add some watter..
the lather formed is of much better quality than how it is formed by direct brush on beard.
You know, its been a week since i've had that Rs.50 synthetic and i'm amazed at the quality of cream i get with it. I was expecting it to be useless compared to a boar brush but it works pretty well if you're making it in a bowl.

I was experimenting with a stainless steel one which has ridges on the bottom, hard to describe, like the facets of a polygon so its not smooth, guess what, stuff lathers up much faster if the bottom is NOT smooth. Filling it up with hot water and dunking the brush in there while i shower also helps with things.

About lathering on the face i've not tried yet as it seems it would be much harder to do without a badger brush (Roxtin can you confirm this). A good lather is very important as its the only barrier against the blade. Too much scrubbing to build up a lather on the face would just irritate the skin before shaving.

madnav said:
although i ended up scratching my face in the last against the bread growth direction shave time
This bit takes practice as you have to figure out your grain, I studied mantic's pics and there are points where my grain differs from what he shows especially under the chin and the upper neck area. After modifying for it i've got better results, but still get little bit of irritation in the neck area. Still have to work on technique and blade angle.

The analogy mantic draws between a sports car vs a cruiser on automatic is quite apt between twin or multi-blades & DE's.

madnav said:
thinking of getting better cream, brush and maybe march3 razor..
any suggestions regarding the same?
dont want to spend alot in terms of cost per shave
Going mach3 means more cost per shave. Also you tend to use the blades longer than required because they are so pricey and end up using a dull blade for longer than you should. There is no way you can do 3 or 4 passes with a mach 3 for very long. Just simple north-south, 1 pass and done. With a DE razor you'll have the best for the least. At least 10 types of domestic blades at varying prices vs just one for a high price.

Thing is its better to have a metal DE razor than a plastic one. The weight on those is so light that you have to apply pressure on it and its easy to get nicks or irritation this way.

Here is an interesting older BS article about the Indian shaving market.

In a country of more than a billion people, only 3.8 billion shaving blades are sold every year. And of these, an overwhelming 97 per cent is double-edged blades. The biggest and the most obvious reason for the preference for the archaic double-edged blades is cost. For the price of one low-end disposable twin blade, you can buy a pack of 10 double-edged blades.

blr_p said:
Yikes, this sounds sooo drastic :huh:

Nonsense, people buy atleast 2 electric razors in their lifetimes + water + normal razor + environment harming gels and foams + brush + tower + blades.

10k, 1k per month for 10 months and reducing thick facial hair to thin/fine/non existant hair is far far cheaper than a lifetime of misery shaving.

Notice, the hair isnt GONE, ive just had high energy done under my jawline so I never have to shave under again, but used medium on face so the

"thickness" and "roughness" , the kind that bruises your skin if you rub against your chin..thats gone.. the hairs much softer and easier to shave.

And being a designer I sometimes get so annoyed seeing

1256678484_top-10-mustache-dense-countries_1.jpg

this kind of moustache on indian common people. IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD. Some kind of rubbish about keeping a moustache if youre a man.

Take it from someone whos a design school graduate.. if you have a moustache like this.. get rid of it or stylize it better, dont look like fool.

After using all the machs and excels i gave up spending extra money on a petty thing like shaving years ago. I use the cheapo presto, palmolive shaving cream (lemon) and alum (fitkari, Potassium alum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . Jokes apart this is the best after shave ever made. Cuts and bleeding stops within seconds and is only Rs. 5 :eek: then once can apply some cologne/after shave for fragrance

corelement said:
And being a designer I sometimes get so annoyed seeing this kind of moustache on indian common people. IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD. Some kind of rubbish about keeping a moustache if youre a man.
Take it from someone whos a design school graduate.. if you have a moustache like this.. get rid of it or stylize it better, dont look like fool.
This bit is interesting, you say being in design school you find it unattractive. In my experience its got lots to do with culture. Over here its acceptable. Abroad, you don't have to be in design school to notice it, clean shaven rules over there. Or, if you got thick growth then maintain it with a trimmer, have a goatee or whatever but it has to be well kept, no scant growth or bum fluff . The only time i had something like that was in my teens, where you are kinda desperate to show you are more than just a boy.

I've got a story about facial hair removal that is unusual. I used to have an african friend, a black guy. We once started talking about shaving and he showed me how he did it. he took some white powder out of a tin, mixed in some water, made a paste then applied it to his face. Left it there for a few minutes then took a wet towel and wiped it all off. That was it. All the beard gone. No blades... nothing :O

How safe can this be ? he'd been doing for ten years and no probs at all.

I begged him to let me try it but he told me that it would burn my skin. That had to be the fastest, easiest , smoothest shave i've ever seen and it only works if you're black !!

Women can use depilatories for their legs but to date there isn't anything like this for the face especially for lighter skinned folks.

AbhijithS said:
OMG soo many replied for a damn shave..
HA! upto a few months ago i'd be thinking the same thing. Had i not accidentally tried a DE i'd prolly still think that way. Then I started googling as previous shaving knowledge is useless with DE. Whole new ball game, this. I was surprised to see a sort of backlash against Gillette's multi-bladed shaving system + cans of goo. People tired of crappy shaves, high prices and they're posting about it like little kids in a toy shop. A good shave for me was what you got at a Barbers with a straight edge, not possible with anything else.

I'm assuming you've used DE's for ever and agree it seems kinda strange. But for so many ppl those DE's are old tech, not desirable anymore, what our grandfathers used. I would not be surprised if a lot of ppl think Mach3 or even fusion is where's it at because its faster and cool or whatever the latest electric is.

Rockfella said:
I use the cheapo presto, palmolive shaving cream (lemon) and alum (fitkari) . Jokes apart this is the best after shave ever made. Cuts and bleeding stops within seconds and is only Rs. 5 then once can apply some cologne/after shave for fragrance
Glad you brought it up, i've read good reviews for it. I think this is purely an Indian thing, has a ridiculous markup in the US.

What i'm not sure about is whether you leave it on or wash it off after ?

Some ppl seem to think it can cause Alzheimers because it has aluminium but there isn't anything showing a causal connection in the medical literature to support it.

arre it is the same thing used to purify water.

it basically combines with ligher impurities in the water which would rather flow freely or disperse in water... than the compound that it forms after combining with those impurities is heavy enough to settle down to the bottom thus leaving you with pure water at the top.

no idea about its reaction with blood but i assuming that it helps the blood clotting process speedup.

edited:

never mind, found the info http://www.citycollegiate.com/alum.htm

about usage:

it is to be applied and let dry naturally.

you may wash the face with your favourite soup/face-wash once your face has dried completely after potash alum application.

My my.. So much thought being put into shaving, all kinds of theories and solutions. :O

Just grab a blade and satasat shave kar lo yaaro! :p

viralbug said:
My my.. So much thought being put into shaving, all kinds of theories and solutions. :O

Just grab a blade and satasat shave kar lo yaaro! :p
you are 20, i guess the beard is still thin n smooth :p

things dont go satasat once after your beard starts growing dense and thick :(

blr_p said:
This bit is interesting, you say being in design school you find it unattractive. In my experience its got lots to do with culture. Over here its acceptable. Abroad, you don't have to be in design school to notice it, clean shaven rules over there. Or, if you got thick growth then maintain it with a trimmer, have a goatee or whatever but it has to be well kept, no scant growth or bum fluff . The only time i had something like that was in my teens, where you are kinda desperate to show you are more than just a boy.
See, thats the thing, culture is a localized concept, if youre literate, aware and dynamic, you surpass the requirement to be acceptable in a culture and the desire to fit into a social norm.

Your become a global citizen if you believe in a global culture. I am not saying one should ditch their own culture, infact I'm saying the exact opposite. When youre aware of multiple cultures

you surpass the concept of a singular culture entirely and have bits and pieces of the best cultures instead.

In this case, lets say this guy has to present himself to an MNC meeting.

1256678484_top-10-mustache-dense-countries_1.jpg

Suppose your stand on it is his moustache and hairstyle is "culturally" accepted.

But this job needs the person to be dynamic and adept. And it has to reflect.

I say I can turn this guy into a completely different individual visually and make him even more culturally acceptable without the moustache and hairstyle from a c grade film hero that was ripped from a hollywood film.

I say, give him WHATEVER facial hair thats stylized to suit his facial contours and cleaned at angles that compliment the negatives of his face to balance symmetry. There's nothing immature or teenage about it, its about aesthetics . Its about whats the angles of his face, the skin tone, hair color, type , texture, reflectiveness. Theres no shame is knowing ones own body and its maintenance.

I seriously don't understand peoples thing of proving or not proving themselves to be more than a boy or lesser. I had a surd friend who had the most disgusting goatee i have ever seen, it was literally DISGUSTING for his facial structure and contours, yet he was determined to have it. This determination is the demonstration of his true immaturity and mental age, no matter how well kept you are, if one does not have the will .. to better themselves.. to improve functionality and life around them and others whats the point of being in any culture? Just to please others?

Culture must scale with aesthetics, especially for a country like india where everyone already people abroad to be more healthy and better attractive. If people dont take it upon themselves to be unique themselves how will a nation ever be unique where. Big words for a corrupt country, I realize but hey.. I wouldnt even bring it up if I didnt care.

blr_p said:
I've got a story about facial hair removal that is unusual. I used to have an african friend, a black guy. We once started talking about shaving and he showed me how he did it. he took some white powder out of a tin, mixed in some water, made a paste then applied it to his face. Left it there for a few minutes then took a wet towel and wiped it all off. That was it. All the beard gone. No blades... nothing :O

How safe can this be ? he'd been doing for ten years and no probs at all.

I begged him to let me try it but he told me that it would burn my skin. That had to be the fastest, easiest , smoothest shave i've ever seen and it only works if you're black !!

Women can use depilatories for their legs but to date there isn't anything like this for the face especially for lighter skinned folks.

It's probably some similar compound/ester but I dont think it targets melanin like laser does otherwise he would suffer marked pigment destruction. Whatever it is, its probably toxic and the reason behind blacks being able to use it is because their dermal and epidermal thickness is by far the highest of all races. He was smart to stop you from using it otherwise a burn would probably be an understatement considerring indians have less than 33% of the avg muscle, skin and bone density of other races in the world.

I also dont understand guys who buy 3-5k worth electric razor and thousands worth shaving equipment to shave thick facial hair everyday or 2 days when in a country like india it takes only 5-7k just to reduce facal hair density by 70% by laser permanently if they know they dont look good in a beard and never keep one thats impossible to grow in such thickness to start with. Why is it such a "drastic step" you dont become less aesthetic, it's more efficient and cheaper in the long run. Theres no ego and question of maturity involved.

Never got a chance to post in this thread earlier.
My facial hair grow really fast so i have to atleast shave 3 times a week for a clean shaven look but i just shave 2 times frankly speaking it becomes some what of a head ache in the morning :p
I use the following
Gillette Metal DE Razor
Wilkinson salon sword blades
A horse hair thick brush
Lucas Alum
Godrej shaving Soap

I still have the following razors with me.
Gillete sensor
Gillete Mach 3
Gillete Fusion
Schick Quattro

I can easily tell you that the DE setup beats every other razor hands down. Not in terms of just the shave quality but the overrall hiar growth patter etc afterwards. Close to it the Schick Quattro which gives a close shave too.
Oh but the main thing before you shave with any razor is the hot water splash/steam. Usually i splash a lot of hot water before shaving which is lot better than shaving straight away.

Anyways i should stop now at the risking of sounding overly metrosexual :p .

Oh bty does anyone knw where i can find Parker DE Razors. I think its time to upgrade from my faithfull Gillette one.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Alum is wonderfull product to use. I would recommend everyone to use it after a shave ,before using your shaving lotion.

Back